Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I heard about this a while ago and other sources have stated horses died in its production. However, the horses were injured/died off-set and away from the film crew because the place where they were kept wasn't very good and the injuries that happened occured on that farm. I can't remember exactly what happened, but Jackson said he'd never used that place before and never will again - he was just as horrified. It wasn't that acting cast or filming crew that harmed the animals. I have no idea who decides where they keep the animals - so blame that person if you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creat0r)
    I've just read this article

http://action.peta.org.uk/ea-action/...paign.id=17536

It basically tells of the animals killed in the making of The Hobbit, a lot of horses too. I don't know what to think right now, I really enjoyed the film and now I see this! I'm not a soppy person or a hardcore animal activist, I don't think you need to be to think this is just sickening. Whatever you think about Peta, someone should pay :mad:
    I can honestly say that I don't care about animal rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Not going to take PETA's word for it, they're practically militant and when doing that expose on the live skinning of cats/dogs and other animals in China, a later interview with a worker discovered he was very confused, because he always killed them before he skinned them, but the white (PETA) man paid him money not to kill it first.

So yeah, give me some evidence here, they saw it right? Show the footage I assume they took?
    Is this true?? Would you happen to have a link with some information on this please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Is this true?? Would you happen to have a link with some information on this please?
    Gosh it was some years ago, I seem to remember seeing an interview with a foreign (Chinese afaik) fur skinner, but I can't find it. I've a site mentioning it, but in fairness it has bias as well as it appears to be an article on the evils of PETA..

http://www.targetofopportunity.com/peta_unethical.htm

"One prominent case from a few years ago involved the skinning of a living fox. The trapper who did this came into the public eye stating that PeTA PAID him to do this, and it is nowhere near a normal practice in the fur industry. In fact, trying to skin a live animal would not only seriously damage the pelt, but also can often be dangerous for the person skinning the animal itself."

This seems to be someone taking text from elsewhere, but can't seem to find a reliable source atm..

http://pets.dir.groups.yahoo.com/gro.../message/14798

AFAIK if this event relates to what I was thinking of, it was on their expose about Chinese fur farming..

ReputationRep:
    Not going to trust anything from Peta. I agree that we should aim to avoid being unnecessarily cruel to animals, but Peta are scum and unnecessarily cruel to humans (and sometimes animals).

ReputationRep:
    Huh, not one reputable source cited and no evidence whatsoever. I'm more likely to believe The Hobbit was based on a true story than that load of rubbish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.