Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does this include wild humans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Stunned by what?
    Surely an aspiring law student would have the intelligence to deduce this. Clearly it was from the superior intellect and perspicacious analogies you have shown in your past two posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Surely an aspiring law student would have the intelligence to deduce this. Clearly it was from the superior intellect and perspicacious analogies you have shown in your past two posts.
    Do you always use words that you get from thesaurus.com to make yourself sound cleverer than you are?

ReputationRep:
    Do you always use words that you get from thesaurus.com to make yourself sound cleverer than you are?
    Appreciate the compliment.

This is good news.

The omnivorous double-standards argument is relevant, but quality of life is a key consideration: you could say it's better for a free-range chicken to live for 2 years, well fed and existing peaceably in the safety of a large open-air enclosure than for a lion to spend 20 years in a cage, being taunted for people's entertainment (not that the chicken on most people's plates is free-range). I'm sure people would argue that using animals to feed people is more morally excusable than using them for entertaining people, but seeing as we don't need to do either, I don't really buy the distinction.

I find it too difficult a moral judgement to call, especially knowing as little as we do about animal sentience. We have a lot more to find out about non-human emotional capacity before we can impose our anthropocentric value-sets on animals with any degree of conviction. Until then, I refuse to put a value on life, and remain vegetarian and committed to animal (and human) rights. There's much still to be done.

ReputationRep:
    POWER TO THE PINNIPEDS!!! (and the other animals)

ReputationRep:
    Stunned by what?
    By the truth of your statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffinman)
    By the truth of your statement.
    For a statement to be true, it first has to make the slightest bit of sense. For a comparison or analogy to make sense, they have to actually have a link.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.