Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the luxury life overrated? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to have money, but there will pretty much always be someone with more than you. I've known people on 350K who were pissed off that they weren't on 500k. Once the basics are covered happiness comes from living within your means and being secure enough in yourself to spend on what is important to you, not conspicuous consumption.

ReputationRep:
    Also, what do you mean by the 'luxury life'? If you mean a big house in a nice area, trappings of middle/upper middle class life, couple of nice cars, two kids in private school and two nice holidays a year you are going to need to a household income of 250k plus, especially if you want to live in the southeast of England. On another forum I use City professionals regularly assert, only partly in jest, that 250k pa is 'the minimum' you need for a middle class life in London. Of course it's possible to live and be happy on much less, but the more stuff that you convince yourself that you 'need' or 'deserve' the bigger the yoke that you are making or your own back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pariah)
    It's nice to have money, but there will pretty much always be someone with more than you. I've known people on 350K who were pissed off that they weren't on 500k. Once the basics are covered happiness comes from living within your means and being secure enough in yourself to spend on what is important to you, not conspicuous consumption.
    The feeling among rich people that they don't have enough is very widespread. If you have a medium yacht, you crave a giant superyacht. People find it hard to distinguish between what they need for a decent, comfortable life and what they want to show off or feel that they have succeeded.

ReputationRep:
    For the super rich the value in 'positional' items is because others don't have them (works of art, exclusive locations etc) which in my eyes is a strange view on life. I don't judge my satisfaction relative to others. Places like Mayfair aren't even practical places to live.

I just want a small pretty house in a nice, leafy, quiet place to live. :daydreaming:

Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    For the super rich the value in 'positional' items is because others don't have them (works of art, exclusive locations etc) which in my eyes is a strange view on life. I don't judge my satisfaction relative to others. Places like Mayfair aren't even practical places to live.
    Bullseye

ReputationRep:
    minimalist life is the best life.

dress like a burglar, a monk or a gravedigger; never go shopping; use an indestructible nokia from a decade ago; life in an empty room with no possessions and focus on necessity rather than the impulse, the convention. let form derive from function.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Well, I am certainly quite experienced in living the basic life. It would be nice to try out something different!

I don't see the appeal of posh cars, private jets etc, though. Nor do I want designer clothes that cost an insane amount of money. What I'd like is to be able to buy a nice little place with a bit of land, so that I have no immediate neighbours, can keep some chickens and other animals, and enjoy the wildlife around me.

No worries about how I'm going to pay my bills, no worries about whether or not I can afford a postgrad degree, and the ability to treat myself and others every now and then, and perhaps even go on the occasional holiday.

Mostly, I'd like to open my door in the morning, sit on the step with a cup of tea, and listen to the sounds of nature rather than cars and other people. Bliss.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.