Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why should you vote? watch

Announcements

(Original post by rsplaya)
    You sound like the typical voter politically illiterate you are what i label the 'danger voter'. The one that votes based on newspaper headlines and short youtube clips. I would have have a non voter than someone that votes based on hearsay and basketball shots.
    I'm the guy who will vote from watching numerous hours a week of politics programs. So I know exactly what each party "says" they want, and what they have been doing over the past few years. Hardly a danger vote, I never said that I would vote for a ridiculous party for "fun".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    It really isn't. Spoiling your ballot is a form of protest where you make it clear you aren't happy with any of the candidates. Not turning up makes you look lazy. Spoiled ballot is a vote in itself, it's making an effort rather than accepting the status quo. You get one chance every five years to voice your political opinion, not voting is pointless in my opinion. I'm personally really excited about getting to vote in the local elections.
    Why make an effort to spoil a ballot nobody will do anything in response to it. If an election occurred where the winner got 1 vote and there were 1000 spoiled ballots nothing would change, they would still get elected and carry on with their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJoshwha)
    I'm the guy who will vote from watching numerous hours a week of politics programs. So I know exactly what each party "says" they want, and what they have been doing over the past few years. Hardly a danger vote, I never said that I would vote for a ridiculous party for "fun".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well if you follow politics why is your sole analysis on the education and healthcare policies the most simplistic thing ever?

ReputationRep:
    Why would I vote for any party when I disagree with them all and think the party members are useless and self-obsessed?

Give me something worth voting for, and I'll vote.

Well if you follow politics why is your sole analysis on the education and healthcare policies the most simplistic thing ever?
    Most post was long enough, and this isn't about what party you support or why, it is about why people should vote. I could justify why I would vote conservative, but why I would also be wary of it. The point was: people should vote for whatever is CLOSEST to what they want: 5 years is a long time to have completely the wrong party in charge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most post was long enough, and this isn't about what party you support or why, it is about why people should vote. I could justify why I would vote conservative, but why I would also be wary of it. The point was: people should vote for whatever is CLOSEST to what they want: 5 years is a long time to have completely the wrong party in charge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have had a Labour and a Conservative government before do you feel either of them were the perfect government? If not then don't vote for them vote for the party you feel could do better. If people always settle for the 'lesser of evils' then you will always have exactly that an evil government. It is worth going through a government slightly eviler than another for the chance of having the government you want some day.

We have had a Labour and a Conservative government before do you feel either of them were the perfect government? If not then don't vote for them vote for the party you feel could do better. If people always settle for the 'lesser of evils' then you will always have exactly that an evil government. It is worth going through a government slightly eviler than another for the chance of having the government you want some day.
    There is no such thing as perfect. Honestly, there are few countries I'd rather be than the UK. Our governments are a lot better than a lot of the rest of the world, and all the "terrible" things the governments do, often aren't that bad. The worst they could do to me is rise taxes a bit, but then I would still be well educated and in a successful country. We are doing a lot better than the likes of the USA and Greece.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as perfect. Honestly, there are few countries I'd rather be than the UK. Our governments are a lot better than a lot of the rest of the world, and all the "terrible" things the governments do, often aren't that bad. The worst they could do to me is rise taxes a bit, but then I would still be well educated and in a successful country. We are doing a lot better than the likes of the USA and Greece.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Greece sold its soul to the EU and the USA sold its soul to corporate donors. Obviously the UK has done the same but on a smaller scale.

Greece sold its soul to the EU and the USA sold its soul to corporate donors. Obviously the UK has done the same but on a smaller scale.
    I wouldn't know a lot about why they are in so much trouble, I just know it exists. But do you really think the UK government is that bad? I know a lot of people "hate all politicians" or "all bankers" because they "only care about themselves". But being an important MP must be an incredibly stressful job, and the country seems to be doing okay. What we class as poverty in the UK is nothing compared to many other countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know a lot about why they are in so much trouble, I just know it exists. But do you really think the UK government is that bad? I know a lot of people "hate all politicians" or "all bankers" because they "only care about themselves". But being an important MP must be an incredibly stressful job, and the country seems to be doing okay. What we class as poverty in the UK is nothing compared to many other countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have barely improved since the 1960s and governments from all the main parties have done nothing about the banks. We are doing better than other countries because of the progress we made a long time ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    It really isn't. Spoiling your ballot is a form of protest where you make it clear you aren't happy with any of the candidates.
    And as a regular vote counter myself, i'm the kind of person that will be reading your spoiled ballot.

I'll have a little laugh about it before throwing it away. If it's funny enough I might share it with the person next to me first

ReputationRep:
    I'm undecided on whether I plan on spoiling my vote or just not voting. Depends if I bother to protest on the day since it isn't going to make any difference.

My reason for not voting is that I don't find any of the parties represent my political views. They all have at least one major area preventing me from supporting them in good. I can understand the arguement behind voting for the lesser of two evils however by voting for a party I give the impression that I support them and I don't want to give any more power to a party I don't support.

ReputationRep:
    Who would dare miss out on the opportunity to decide which group of people get to hand over state assets to their friends?

ReputationRep:
    for jokes..

ReputationRep:
    I vote for my on piece of mind. However where I live is such a safe labour seat that its irrelevant anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh.. It's all so depressing.

It makes me sad that people feel that their votes don't count regardless... Especially in these 'guaranteed' areas.

I'd ask which party you'd vote for if they could remove xyz policy - but that might incite too much discussion off topic...

Apathy is one thing I kind of do understand, if people don't have time to make an educated vote or if they'd like more time.. Reading through manifestos and watching question time etc. takes time and effort! Sometimes you don't need to do all that but still, when you're a young first time voter you might.

ReputationRep:
    Some people seem to have unrealistically high expectations of what policies 'their' party should fight for. No UK wide major political party (i.e Labour, Lib dems, Conservatives) is going represent every view you have. Nor is it likely that you will agree with all the policies of your favored party. It is an exercise in compromise. Which of the parties best reflects your views.

Better the devil you know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Some people seem to have unrealistically high expectations of what policies 'their' party should fight for. No UK wide major political party (i.e Labour, Lib dems, Conservatives) is going represent every view you have. Nor is it likely that you will agree with all the policies of your favored party. It is an exercise in compromise. Which of the parties best reflects your views.

Better the devil you know...
    I agree but if you strongly disagree with the main 3 I would also recommend looking at smaller parties too- but not voting is awful.

It seems to me by not voting it's sort of taking a child's attitude of "if I can't have Ice cream for dinner- I'm not eating dinner!" And then some idiot parent would give them the ice cream because oh well you can't go without any good! This person I was debating with earlier said he felt that he:
    "The choice between a giant douche and a terd sandwhich is a hard one"...

What's the likely reality here- all metaphors aside, no one is serving turd sandwiches for dinner..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by play_fetch)
    Had a debate today with someone online and it made me think - what do the younger generation think when it comes to voting?

Assuming you are old enough to vote, would you? If not, why wouldn't you vote?

Now, the argument put forward by earlier to by this someone was:

"...I had no faith in labours current leadership, I knew the Lib Dems were full of BS, I called the tories on cutting legitamate benefits whilst giving corporate tax relief to their own businesses and buddies (which means the country only lost money) aaaaand I am not a racist so none of the smaller parties at the time appealed to me..."

Whereas I completely disagree with the notion that people would refuse to vote- for many reasons. But I want to hear what TSR thinks on it. Go.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I used to be of the opinion that if you didn't vote you weren't in a position to vote. In reality this is silly, I could have voted for any of the candidates in my constituency or stayed at home and the outcome would have been the same.

I emailed my MP about potential extraditions of British citizens to the US and explained how concerned I was about it.

I received no relevant reply, I was simply added to a mailing list and I occasionally receive emails asking my opinion on how to cut down smoking in the area or maligning a CO OP shop in a poor area that is having to close down because so many people shoplift it can't make a profit.

These are not issues I want addressing and as a result I would never vote for that particular politician again.

I probably won't bother voting in any way again unless we get an opportunity to change the voting system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by play_fetch)
    Yes that's all fair but by not voting it isn't helping to highlight problems on party policy- people don't know you didn't vote for that reason. Currently and unfortunately not all parties will plan to do all the xs and ys that you support.

But isn't it better to vote for someone who you 'agree most with' than to potentially just let the person or party you disagree most with in? You're not doing anything to stop the things you're complaining about! I find it hard to believe that someone could disagree with every mp and every party policy going equally.
    You're doing something to stop the party you disagree with by not voting for them?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.