Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PFA Player/Young Player of the year nominees Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenocide)
    It's probably a consistency thing. Certainly Michu and Fellaini had great starts to the season but Carrick has been solid throughout. I'm not saying it's necessarily right; I think there's an arguable case for all the players you mentioned except Baines (good but not quite good enough).
    I can see where you're coming from but they seem to overrate the English players imo & have a tendency to pick some average players just because they play for a "big" team.

ReputationRep:
    Hazard instead of Michu and Fellaini?

:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    as an arsenal fan, wilshere shouldn't be on it, van persie and lukaku for me

ReputationRep:
    What's the cut off for young player of the year.

I may be biased but zabaleta has been awesome all years, constantly n the top off his game.

ReputationRep:
    Shocked at Welbeck's inclusion. Absolutley shocked. Hazard as well, after a good start has tailed off. Wilshere hasn't played enough football to be considered.

RVP and Benteke for me. RVP has basically won the league for United and I think that has to be rewarded. I think it will go to Bale though.

Benteke for a similar reason but on the other end of the spectrum-has given Villa hope of staying up and been very consistent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkpmc)
    Carrick? Seriously? Only utd fans rate him? Bale all the way
    Nope. I'm not a United fan but Carrick has been great all year, quietly going about his job and doing it effectively. He'll be a worthy winner of this award should he win it. Bale's been good, but only really at the level he's at now since Christmas. It's the 'player of the year' not 'best since Xmas' award.

One for Tommy :rolleyes::

Man Utd star leads the list of the top 10 forward passers in Europe

ReputationRep:
    Michu deserves to be on the list. I think winner would have to be Robin Van Persie simply because he has gotten Man Utd the title, he's faded away recently - Bale/Mata should be right up there and could potentially win. Suarez only scores against teams in the bottom/middle of the table - don't recall him scoring against any of the top 5 in the EPL this season. Michael Carrick has done well but there are many other players who have not been listed but have done equally well if not better. Hazard has been excellent but not to the level of Bale/Mata/RVP this season.
    Young title could go to anyone really - between any of the Belgians and Bale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Michu deserves to be on the list. I think winner would have to be Robin Van Persie simply because he has gotten Man Utd the title, he's faded away recently - Bale/Mata should be right up there and could potentially win. Suarez only scores against teams in the bottom/middle of the table - don't recall him scoring against any of the top 5 in the EPL this season. Michael Carrick has done well but there are many other players who have not been listed but have done equally well if not better. Hazard has been excellent but not to the level of Bale/Mata/RVP this season.
    Young title could go to anyone really - between any of the Belgians and Bale.
    Despite playing in an inferior team, there have been goals against Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Everton, United and Tottenham
    Embarassing?

ReputationRep:
    Where is Baines, Michu, Zabaleta and R Lambert for PFA Player. Luke Shaw should really be in YPOTY. People need to remember that this is from the POV of the players so attacking players usually make the games harder for the opposition and so attacking players get noticed more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Where is Baines, Michu, Zabaleta and R Lambert for PFA Player. Luke Shaw should really be in YPOTY. People need to remember that this is from the POV of the players so attacking players usually make the games harder for the opposition and so attacking players get noticed more
    Also, the majority of footballers are morons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Nope. I'm not a United fan but Carrick has been great all year, quietly going about his job and doing it effectively. He'll be a worthy winner of this award should he win it. Bale's been good, but only really at the level he's at now since Christmas. It's the 'player of the year' not 'best since Xmas' award.

One for Tommy :rolleyes::

Passes dont win matches, goals do! Carrick has improved vastly over the last year but does not have it in him to win matches by himself unlike bale, suarez and rvp. Therefore i think he should not win the POTY.

ReputationRep:
    Even Mertesacker has now scored the same number of league goals as Welback for this campaign. I know he's good but I don't think that he deserves to be on the shortlist and I'm shocked as to how the likes of Fellani, Baines and MICHU were all overlooked but I agree with Carrick, he has been a midfield wizard this season.

ReputationRep:
    Where the hell is Jan Vertonghen, he's been crucial for Spurs this season. His speed, strength and eye for goal. He's scored numerous times for Spurs this season. He's incredibly versatile and his performances have shown that.

Also, another omission could be Santi Cazorla, he's been a standout player at Arsenal this season. He's acclimated perfectly to the style of play that Arsenal embody and has been a vicious goal threat himself, brilliant form this season.

And Hazard ahead of these players and placed on this season's nominee list. Give me a break...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he should win it but I think Carrick deserves to be on the nominee list. Hazard shouldn't be on there, if Mata has been much better than him this season what's the point of having Hazard on it as well?

For the young player it's a joke that Welbeck has made it on there. Does Schneiderlin not qualify? On top of that Nastasic has been pretty good. Wilshere shouldn't be on there either.

Anyway I think it should be Suarez & Bale.

But I think what lets Suarez down is that despite his goals they haven't really meant anything relatively speaking. Chances are Bale's performances may get them Champions League, Mata has kept Chelsea in the top four, RvP and Carrick have been pivotal in the title win, Suarez has just kept us midtable. Oh, and he's also probably the most hated player in the League, so I can't imagine many players would vote for him anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Suarez and Bale

ReputationRep:
    After today's performance, it proves Suarez shouldn't get a Player of the year. Diving, cheating, handball, only took LFC to 7th. Good player but bad attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dddd ddd)
    After today's performance, it proves Suarez shouldn't get a Player of the year. Diving, cheating, handball, only took LFC to 7th. Good player but bad attitude.
    Agreed. What would Mary in Berkshire say to her 7 year old if he got the award eh?

Unless Suarez is convicted of rape, adultery or deliberately kicks a fellow professional in the head or goes out to end someone else's career he should NOT be given any PFA award. The PFA awards should go to model professionals and human beings only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dddd ddd)
    Have a look at the list of previous winners. Some of them are hardly stand up role models. One of them deliberately tries to break someone's leg, another kicks a fan, you've got a racist, one cheats on his pregnant wife, and another one that cheats on his wife etc etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Bale is the best player surely in theory he should win both :holmes:
    :holmes::holmes::holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Hazard shouldn't be there, shouldn't have been nominated either. Heard a lot of people mentioning a bias for the London teams and you have to consider that when Bale wins both Player of the Year awards. Definitely a bias.

- He shouldn't have even been nominated for the Young player of the year, he's almost 24?!
    - He's been booked for diving no less than 4/5 times.
    - He only started doing consistently well in January/February time. He had good moments but August-December, that's half the season!
    - He hasn't scored or assisted as many as Suarez or Van Persie.
    - He was nominated for both awards. Somebody wants him to win.
    - He's the only British player on either list. Hmm. The only one who's done anything (WTF was Welbeck doing there?)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.