Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who think being academic means intelligence watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, "intelligence" is a very vague and ambiguous word. Having said that, it is often associated with the likelihood of succeeding. Thus, the more academic you are, the more likely you are to succeed (hence more "intelligent"). Of course, there are other ways to achieve success. But generally, that's how it works.

So when people say "You're so smart", they basically mean "You're gonna do so much better than me in life". It's a compliment (regardless of how truthful it may be). Don't get annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    What I've highlighted in bold refers to you probably being smarter than most. The fact that you find it easy to remember information is very different to a lot of other people who had to revise a lot harder (longer) in their GCSE's to achieve the same grade.

Person A takes half an hour to memorize a passage of information.
    Person B takes an hour to memorize a passage of information.

Would you not call A smarter because he has done it in a shorter amount of time? It does not mean that B will never do it, it just might taken him longer.

And yes, I refer to 'memorizing information' as part of GCSE. Because that's what GCSEs are, not 'academic' as you have defined it.

Intelligence, in my opinion, will arise at university level. And those who study further to do PHDs etc. It refers to people who make their own discoveries and are able to 'think'. Let's be honest, is there a lot of thinking done at GCSEs?
    In no way did I imply that I was 'academic' or 'smart' in my statement

People have called me smart before when I say I got so many As or whatever in my GCSEs, I don't like it when this happens. For my GCSEs I simply recalled information. I will allow someone to call me smart when I/[If I] receive a doctorate OR happen to be sitting in a yacht in the middle of the Bahamas having made millions. Until then, I would not like to have my intelligence based on my academic achievements.

And last but not least- my GCSE grades far from reflect 'exceptional' academic ability. I would say they are borderline line GCSEs... nearly enough to be classified as good but It just doesn't quite make it because of the 3Bs :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Essayist)
    Surely it depends on how academic you are though? If you have an Oxbridge offer for a competitive course and you are on track for 2 or 3 A*s at A Level then you must be somewhat intelligent, right?

Yes, and the former is far more important than the latter.
    If you are studying Further Mathematics, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry- then yes.

If you are studying Religious studies, Sociology and English Lit- I would say no.

Yes, my view* will be frowned upon.. but I just believe scientists and Mathematicians will always be the best 'thinkers' in this world.

*Note: "my view"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    People who base intelligence on academia alone really irritate me

I would say I am relatively academic .. I got 7 A*/A and 3B at GCSE..with little effort.

However, I would not say that this bares any relevance towards my intelligence level.

Someone has actually said to be "wow, you're smart" as I recalled a long definition in Chemistry- word perfect.

I was actually annoyed at the remark. I the fact that someone based my intelligence on my ability to remember a definition...I could have easily not learned that definition the night before and I would have most likely been viewed as stupid?

I don't see the logic

Do you?

Academia =/= Intelligence
    Academia =/= memorisation.

Academia = Mainly application of knowledge and logic = intelligence

ReputationRep:
    In no way did I imply that I was 'academic' or 'smart' in my statement

People have called me smart before when I say I got so many As or whatever in my GCSEs, I don't like it when this happens. For my GCSEs I simply recalled information. I will allow someone to call me smart when I/[If I] receive a doctorate OR happen to be sitting in a yacht in the middle of the Bahamas having made millions. Until then, I would not like to have my intelligence based on my academic achievements.

And last but not least- my GCSE grades far from reflect 'exceptional' academic ability. I would say they are borderline line GCSEs... nearly enough to be classified as good but It just doesn't quite make it because of the 3Bs :lol:
    Didn't say you did. I was making my own judgement on your achievements.

However, it is rather ignorant for you to believe that your GCSEs are border line results. Yes, the average number of GCSEs taken is 10. But the average grade received is C. So you are way above average. If you are comparing yourself to applicants for the Russel Group universities, you might think you're borderline. But it all depends on the school you came from. If you came from a top independent school, then yes your GCSEs are probably average and the universities will notice that. If you came from a challenging school where a large proportion of students leave school with no GCSEs in maths or english, then you have done exceptionally well, and again the universities will notice that. On balance with the whole country, you've done above average.

Furthermore, I think you need to 'learn to take a compliment'. Whilst I believe we agree with each other on the definition of 'smart', other people just define it in a different way. To receive such GCSEs, in their opinion is exceptional, and they want to congratulate you by telling you that you're 'smart'. Just remember, it's all relative. The way you say, 'I won't let anyone...' makes you sound aggressive in doing so. I'm sure it might not be that way, but this person telling you you're smart is only trying to be nice.

And finally, you say that relaxing in the bahamas could mean you're smart. Well this has just contradicted everything. What if I've made my millions in the transitional process in Russia, where I just managed to be in the right place at the right time? No 'smartness' involved.

ReputationRep:
    i agree, some people think that if you are good at studying, then u are highly intelligent too.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealRecReal)
    There are people who don't perform well academically for all sorts of reasons whether it be getting bullied,family problems or just too damn lazy, it really has nothing to do with intelligence.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)

Person A takes half an hour to memorize a passage of information.
    Person B takes an hour to memorize a passage of information.

Would you not call A smarter because he has done it in a shorter amount of time? It does not mean that B will never do it, it just might taken him longer.
    I am interest in you comment.

There are cases of hyperthymesia found in individual where you can give the person a text book, and after only a single read, they can recite the entire book word for word 5 years down the line
    (i saw this on documentary on youtube, i cannot find, when i find i will post you. the example was a man with a history book in this documentary incase you find it)

Is this reflect on the person smartness? or simply 'output' of this rare neurological condition?

I will allow someone to call me smart when I..... happen to be sitting in a yacht in the middle of the Bahamas having made millions. Until then, I would not like to have my intelligence based on my academic achievements.

Paris hilton is also owning yacht in middle of bahamas

ReputationRep:

I would say I am relatively academic .. I got 7 A*/A and 3B at GCSE..with little effort.

However, I would not say that this bares any relevance towards my intelligence level.

Someone has actually said to be "wow, you're smart" as I recalled a long definition in Chemistry- word perfect.

I was actually annoyed at the remark. I the fact that someone based my intelligence on my ability to remember a definition...I could have easily not learned that definition the night before and I would have most likely been viewed as stupid?

I don't see the logic

Do you?

GCSEs aren't really "academia". A real academic is almost always going to be fairly intelligent, at least.

I think what you mean to say is:

Good GCSE/secondary school grades =/= Intelligence
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

I don't see the logic

Do you?

Being 'academic' doesn't mean 'A* in my chemistry GCSE', it means, you know, 'doctorate', or 'wrote a book'. When it's defined properly academia very much can '=' intelligence.

(Looks like Justinawe and me are on the same wavelength or something eh?)

ReputationRep:
    High school education is mostly rote. It specially bugs me when private schooled types try to one-up you with their superior-yet-pointless knowledge of classical authors, philosophers and snippets of Latin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mullah.S)

There are cases of hyperthymesia found in individual where you can give the person a text book, and after only a single read, they can recite the entire book word for word 5 years down the line
    (i saw this on documentary on youtube, i cannot find, when i find i will post you. the example was a man with a history book in this documentary incase you find it)

Is this reflect on the person smartness? or simply 'output' of this rare neurological condition?

Paris hilton is also owning yacht in middle of bahamas
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Okay mullah..you may be a troll but :lol: at your last comment

Shes hot though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealRecReal)
    There are people who don't perform well academically for all sorts of reasons whether it be getting bullied,family problems or just too damn lazy, it really has nothing to do with intelligence.
    You hit the nail on the head.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-eVF_G_p-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ZmM7zPLyI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzcxOl4b7IA

WATCH THESE AND THEN TELL ME YOUR OPINION ON WHETHER YOU THINK BEING ACADEMICALLY SUCCESSFUL IS THE KEY TO YOUR FUTURE... I THINK BEING ACADEMICALLY SUCCESSFUL IS VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE IN OUR SOCIETY TO GET A JOB YOU HAVE TO HAVE A DEGREE!!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you are studying Further Mathematics, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry- then yes.

If you are studying Religious studies, Sociology and English Lit- I would say no.

Yes, my view* will be frowned upon.. but I just believe scientists and Mathematicians will always be the best 'thinkers' in this world.

*Note: "my view"
    People who say that kind of thing invariably don't have a clue about the subjects they're criticising. You could equally argue that success in arts subjects requires more 'intelligence' because it requires a tolerance for ambiguity and the ability to actually construct your own arguments. At the end of the day different subjects simply require you to think in different ways, and to suggest that one of these ways better indicates this totally undefined notion of 'intelligence' is just incredibly narrow-minded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TritonSails)
    People who say that kind of thing invariably don't have a clue about the subjects they're criticising. You could equally argue that success in arts subjects requires more 'intelligence' because it requires a tolerance for ambiguity and the ability to actually construct your own arguments. At the end of the day different subjects simply require you to think in different ways, and to suggest that one of these ways better indicates this totally undefined notion of 'intelligence' is just incredibly narrow-minded.
    This is my view.

I did include it at the end.

ReputationRep:

I don't see the logic

Do you?

I sense false modesty here.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This is my view.

I did include it at the end.
    Yeah, that was kind of given away by the fact that you are the one who put that view forwards. So what? I'm saying that it's a lazy and wrong view to have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Essayist)
    What does 7 A*/A grades mean? How many were As and how many were A*s? They are not the same grade.
    4A*3A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mullah.S)

[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Hmm That is interesting. I'm glad you brought that up. I hadn't thought about this.

As I've mentioned before, I think that smart is a subjective statement. When someone says it, it's what they genuinely believe. And if person A had seen Person B do this, A could really say that is smart.

Personally, I wouldn't. I know people who have eidetic memories, and I think that's different from being 'smart'. They're just able to memorize memory like *that*. It's just a different kind of mind.

I think eidetic memory can be described of in the same way as this neurological condition, when we're talking about the definition of 'smart'. Without knowing B's background, we could still think they were 'smart', but maybe not after knowing their history.

What do you think?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.