Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How did Nando's become so popular? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand the appeal of Nandos. One of my friends is actually obsessed by it. WHY??? Its mediocre at best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)
    I wish it hadn't, when it became famous they put everything on the menu up by about 3 quid. It became famous because of the infamous black card (which gives you unlimited free Nandos) they give to celebrities who like nandos. Now Z list celebrities (and for some reason a couple of A list ones who could afford unlimited Nandos regardless) name drop Nandos in interviews and tweets like mad in the hope of being given the black card. Some people reckon the black card doesn't even exist, but Nandos are hardly going to deny it's existence when it gets them free publicity.
    That's quite a clever idea. Give famous people with thousands of fans free meals at your restaurant and they're bound to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    I used to hear adverts for them on the radio all the time and I'd never seen one so I was like "What is this Nando's??" :goofy: I was so excited to actually see one in real life! There isn't one anywhere near me still (we must be the only city in the country, right?) so it retains some of it's exclusivity for me. Also it just seems to be a kind of 'young' place - we walked past one of the other day and my dad was like "Look at the demographic in there!" cause everyone looked under 25.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really get it. To me it tastes just like a chicken you could buy from the counter at Sainsburys, only with a spicy sauce slathered over it and at 3 times the price.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how it got so big in the first place, but now I imagine it's just loads of people following the crowd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarveyCanis)
    I don't really get it either, granted I've only been once but it was distinctly unimpressive. The sauce was far too over-spiced and thus lacked any real flavour whilst the chicken was just...average and in addition it's exorbitantly expensive for what it is.

But it appears to have a substantial online and word-of-mouth presence so maybe I just had a bad experience. For now though I will stick with Indian restaurants which are much cheaper and far more flavourful.
    You didn't have a bad experience. I only go to Nando's when I'm with a group of people who all want to go, as I find their chicken way too spicy (even the supposedly non-spicy such as lemon and herb is still spicy, and is too hot for me).

Their ordering system is weird too. The restaurants have a nice atmosphere, and the staff are generally friendly and helpful, but they're about the only positives, and doesn't make up for the fact that I don't really like their food.

ReputationRep:
    Chicken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissDavies)
    I don't really get it. To me it tastes just like a chicken you could buy from the counter at Sainsburys, only with a spicy sauce slathered over it and at 3 times the price.
    I think nandos is not that expensive tbh.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I didn't notice it myself until every prick on Twitter started tweeting about it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else think nando's is seriously overrated?

I'd never heard of it until I moved to uni at which point people thought I was ridiculous for having never been there and kept trying to take me.
    I finally went the other week and it wasn't anything special.

The chicken is overpriced and dry, you have to get your own drinks, there's children everywhere, they pack you in so tight your practically sitting at the table of people you don't know and can hear everything they say.

3/10 would rather eat at pizza express or even wetherspoons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    You, Sir, missed the best of Nando's

I laughed out loud the first time I saw this!

ReputationRep:
    Mediocre restaurants for mediocre people with no taste or self respect.

ReputationRep:
    Sometime in 2009 everyone started posting Facebook statuses about how they were going to Nando's. I think I went a couple of times when I was a kid but I can't really remember it.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of celebrities go there. I've seen a lot of Nando's related tweets on my twitter feed over the last year or so. A lot of the celebrities who mention it/photograph themselves eating there have huge follower counts so it's no surprise that people go there because celebrities do. The food itself is mediocre so I don't even understand why people rave about it purely based on that. I went twice last year and it was okay, nothing fantastic. It's basically a jumped up fast food restaurant - the service is below average for a restaurant but if you treat it as if you're in McDonald's then you feel slightly pampered (feels impersonal and like you're on a conveyor belt), the menu is limited, the atmosphere is like pub on a match day - jovial but not particularly sophisticated and the prices are stupid for what you actually get in terms of food and service. But if you're hungry and fancy somewhere to sit and eat with a knife and fork with a few mates then it's fine - just don't go there for something special because it's not that kind of place.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook? Everyone used to go on about it all the time (they still do to an extent).

ReputationRep:
    Nandos?!!!!!!

Dude it's an awesome restaurant!

EVEN I GO THERE!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolate buttons)
    Sometime in 2009 everyone started posting Facebook statuses about how they were going to Nando's. I think I went a couple of times when I was a kid but I can't really remember it.
    That's basically it. Nothing wrong with going there though, but that is how it became popular I would say.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because it fills a gap in the market, somewhere between fast food and a proper restaurant. It's somewhere you can have a proper sit down meal (sort of), but also the food is quite cheap and quick.

I actually went to Nando's on a date once. It was her choice though, so don't blame me

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to a Nando's :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    It certainly wasn't the quality of the food or service or low prices. £10 for half a chicken and some chips? It is nothing more than fast food served on plates to morons. I've gotta say nothing annoys me more than ordering food with your mates and then having to wait an extra ten minutes after everyone else for no apparent reason.

I didn't think the food was hideous but I really couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

I reckon much of the popularity is down to 'DA YOOF' of people who would like to think themselves part of that group bigging it up at every opportunity. They probably think Nandos is a quality restaurant. Also the whole Black Card scheme is good for the brand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.