Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On any of the unit 3 chem past papers, were there any questions or parts related to theory? If there were can someone please post the topics? I was doing the jan 2011 paper and there was a question on kinetics collision theory.

I thought this ppr only tested practical knowledge...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relaxedexams)
    On any of the unit 3 chem past papers, were there any questions or parts related to theory? If there were can someone please post the topics? I was doing the jan 2011 paper and there was a question on kinetics collision theory.

I thought this ppr only tested practical knowledge...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is no need to worry. Actually in that question the answer was obvious. More area mean more rate of reaction.

But yeah you are right. They might put in a question from theory. Nothing to do but at least attempt it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NilFBosh)
    There is no need to worry. Actually in that question the answer was obvious. More area mean more rate of reaction.

But yeah you are right. They might put in a question from theory. Nothing to do but at least attempt it
    Yea, I'm hoping that the paper has a lot of calculations and a titration question. Hopefully, nothing from IR spectra

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I'm hoping that the paper has a lot of calculations and a titration question. Hopefully, nothing from IR spectra
    IR spectra is easy. A range of peaks like for alcohol and aldehydes will be given. The question might be show that the compound is an alcohol. So in the graph search for the peaks and cross check with the range given for alcohol. Other follow up questions are on organic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    IR spectra is easy. A range of peaks like for alcohol and aldehydes will be given. The question might be show that the compound is an alcohol. So in the graph search for the peaks and cross check with the range given for alcohol. Other follow up questions are on organic

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks a lot man. That sounds ok :-D
    I was expecting drawing the graph and stuff ( don't even know if that is in the spec)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot man. That sounds ok :-D
    I was expecting drawing the graph and stuff ( don't even know if that is in the spec)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No drawing graphs in IR.

ReputationRep:
    In a seperating funnel where will d more dense solution be and why.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anujan Murugesu)
    In a seperating funnel where will d more dense solution be and why.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Didn't see any question abt separating funnels in any pastpaper.

But to answer ur question more dense solution will be on top of the less dense solution (no pun intended)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Didn't see any question abt separating funnels in any pastpaper.

But to answer ur question more dense solution will be on top of the less dense solution (no pun intended)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Check the jan 2010 ppr.

More dense at the top? :confused:
    I put more dense at bottom which is logical but the mk schme says more dense is at the top...how is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Check the jan 2010 ppr.

More dense at the top? :confused:
    I put more dense at bottom which is logical but the mk schme says more dense is at the top...how is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Check google. On Wikipedia, in the article abt separating funnel, there was a diagram of oil on top of water. Googled for the respective densities and saw that oil was more dense and made my conclusion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Check google. On Wikipedia, in the article abt separating funnel, there was a diagram of oil on top of water. Googled for the respective densities and saw that oil was more dense and made my conclusion

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your conclusion is right, what is the logic behind it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not quite sure...
    Just remember more dense on top.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your right. I did that question in class today and the only thing related to ir spectra was to copy an already given range

Hope we get something like that.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which practicals do you guys expect. I think:-

-Test for ions
    -Organic (Halogenoalkane reaction)
    -Energetics
    -Maybe kinetics and ir spectra (they only asked them once)
    -Something new like mass spectral analysis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which practicals do you guys expect. I think:-

-Test for ions
    -Organic (Halogenoalkane reaction)
    -Energetics
    -Maybe kinetics and ir spectra (they only asked them once)
    -Something new like mass spectral analysis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    obviously gas/ions tests as first questions and some questions on organics
    Others not too sure

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OIL is less dense than water so it floats.
    HENCE the less dense substance is on top. and the more dense is below.
    in simple words the lighter substance is on the top as the heavier substance sinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thextractor007)
    OIL is less dense than water so it floats.
    HENCE the less dense substance is on top. and the more dense is below.
    in simple words the lighter substance is on the top as the heavier substance sinks.
    I forgot oil was less dense than water

But check Jan 2010 paper. In the separating funnel question, the more dense liquid is at the top. How is that? :confused:

Is it something to do with the funnel?

ReputationRep:
    I hope kinetics is in this paper, a lot of calculations, and drawing a distillation or reflux apparatus, and graph plotting. Nothing on IR Mass spectra please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevsamuel)
    I hope kinetics is in this paper, a lot of calculations, and drawing a distillation or reflux apparatus, and graph plotting. Nothing on IR Mass spectra please!
    We are on the same boat

One doubt:-

In the separating funnel, the more dense liquid is at the top. Why is that? What is the reasoning behind it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I forgot oil was less dense than water

But check Jan 2010 paper. In the separating funnel question, the more dense liquid is at the top. How is that? :confused:

Is it something to do with the funnel?

i guess its because it says its" the aqueous layer" so maybe the alcohol was dissolved in the water- hence making the whole solution of the bottom layer denser

BY THE WAY I CHECKED GOOGLE OIL IS NOTTT MORE DENSE THAN WATER

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.