Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeintheskies)
    Also i've been given a set of revision cards which cover the whole of AS, made by 'topic cuecards' if anybody is interested. I wouldn't use them for my whole revision but it has pretty much everything you need to know on each card
    Can you post them up if you can ?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think you should post them up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Post them!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I just had to say I did the exam in January and it had sentencing. Of tends to appear in 1 exam year so its unlikely to come up.
    Also you haven't mentioned that judges does come up basically every year so everyone should be revising that and either magistrates or juries though juries was in the last exam.

Civil courts
    Magistrates
    Judges
    Detention and interviews
    Barrister's
    Bail
    Funding

That's what I think are most likely to come up

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know of any useful websites which can give guidlines and tips on exam structure for ELS exams? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimi185)
    I just had to say I did the exam in January and it had sentencing. Of tends to appear in 1 exam year so its unlikely to come up.
    Also you haven't mentioned that judges does come up basically every year so everyone should be revising that and either magistrates or juries though juries was in the last exam.

Civil courts
    Magistrates
    Judges
    Detention and interviews
    Barrister's
    Bail
    Funding

That's what I think are most likely to come up
    I thought I should comment to advise you that sentencing is very very likely to come up in fact- sentencing and police powers both come up every single paper because they are the largest sections. Sentencing on adults came up in January, so I'm guessing aims/factors or youth offenders are more likely. As well, don't forget that solicitors and barristers can come up in one section (e.g the complaints process for both solicitors and barristers) so I would recommend revising both thoroughly still! Another point, usually only one out of judges/funding will appear since these are the hardest sections that students barely answer Therefore- I agree with most of the topics you think will come up, but replace judges/funding with sentencing I'm an A2 student resitting, and can verify that you're completely right about the magistrates/jury only coming up once each in january/june- hence why I'm not revising juries at all

(Original post by Alejandroo)
    Does anybody know of any useful websites which can give guidlines and tips on exam structure for ELS exams? Thanks.
    You could always look on the OCR website itself. Other than that, you're more than welcome to ask me any questions you have. I'm an A2 student, on an overall A, but resitting this. For the basic idea of what it involves:You must answer 4 questions (and if you answer part a, you must answer part b of the same question). Of the 4 questions, you can either answer 3 section A's + 1 section B or 2 section A's + 1 section B.
    **Section A +B (part a) = these ask you to "describe" so literally list fact upon fact (e.g if on police powers stop and search, you'll get a mark for each point such as reasonable suspicion needed, name+station+reason for search stated, jacket coat gloves searched, written report etc.
    **Section A (part b) = these ask you to "discuss" so you need to have 3 points but be able to develop on them (e.g problems with magistrates training- 1. they range from 18-70yrs old, 2. but they don't represent a true cross section as 40% are retired, 3. and having more young people would mean they're likely to gain more experience over their time as a magistrate)
    **Section B (part b) = these give you a scenario. From that, you need to identify 5 key points about it (e.g it may ask you why a stop and search is unlawful, your points could be that a police officer didn't say his name+station, give reason for search, had no reasonable suspicion, didn't provide a written report, or took something off other than jacket/coat/gloves).

Personally, I find it much easier to answer scenarios in part B than discussion questions, so I answered 2 section B questions before. It's also useful that section B questions are likely to be on police powers/sentencing/bail, since these are quite good topics for scenarios (e.g you can't really be given a scenario for solicitors/barristers). It's part B which most people lose marks on, so make sure you've prepared 3 "well developed points" for each topic you've revised (e.g like the example I gave above for magistrates). I'm not revising all topics as I've chose to be risky and revise 5 topics likely to come up (magistrates, bail, police powers, sentencing, solicitors/barristers), so my revision is more focussed. It's also helpful to try do timed essays and make sure you know all the key facts. Hope that helps, PM me or reply on here if you need more help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feelinginfinite)
    I thought I should comment to advise you that sentencing is very very likely to come up in fact- sentencing and police powers both come up every single paper because they are the largest sections. Sentencing on adults came up in January, so I'm guessing aims/factors or youth offenders are more likely. As well, don't forget that solicitors and barristers can come up in one section (e.g the complaints process for both solicitors and barristers) so I would recommend revising both thoroughly still! Another point, usually only one out of judges/funding will appear since these are the hardest sections that students barely answer Therefore- I agree with most of the topics you think will come up, but replace judges/funding with sentencing I'm an A2 student resitting, and can verify that you're completely right about the magistrates/jury only coming up once each in january/june- hence why I'm not revising juries at all

You could always look on the OCR website itself. Other than that, you're more than welcome to ask me any questions you have. I'm an A2 student, on an overall A, but resitting this. For the basic idea of what it involves:You must answer 4 questions (and if you answer part a, you must answer part b of the same question). Of the 4 questions, you can either answer 3 section A's + 1 section B or 2 section A's + 1 section B.
    **Section A +B (part a) = these ask you to "describe" so literally list fact upon fact (e.g if on police powers stop and search, you'll get a mark for each point such as reasonable suspicion needed, name+station+reason for search stated, jacket coat gloves searched, written report etc.
    **Section A (part b) = these ask you to "discuss" so you need to have 3 points but be able to develop on them (e.g problems with magistrates training- 1. they range from 18-70yrs old, 2. but they don't represent a true cross section as 40% are retired, 3. and having more young people would mean they're likely to gain more experience over their time as a magistrate)
    **Section B (part b) = these give you a scenario. From that, you need to identify 5 key points about it (e.g it may ask you why a stop and search is unlawful, your points could be that a police officer didn't say his name+station, give reason for search, had no reasonable suspicion, didn't provide a written report, or took something off other than jacket/coat/gloves).

Personally, I find it much easier to answer scenarios in part B than discussion questions, so I answered 2 section B questions before. It's also useful that section B questions are likely to be on police powers/sentencing/bail, since these are quite good topics for scenarios (e.g you can't really be given a scenario for solicitors/barristers). It's part B which most people lose marks on, so make sure you've prepared 3 "well developed points" for each topic you've revised (e.g like the example I gave above for magistrates). I'm not revising all topics as I've chose to be risky and revise 5 topics likely to come up (magistrates, bail, police powers, sentencing, solicitors/barristers), so my revision is more focussed. It's also helpful to try do timed essays and make sure you know all the key facts. Hope that helps, PM me or reply on here if you need more help

Thank you so much for the help!! I'm feeling alot more confident about the exam now and I'm really excited about the predictions as they're generally everything I'm better at!! With Sentencing I am hoping that they will ask about Aims of sentencing rather than sentencing itself as I'm far better at that is it's basically bulletpointed paragraphs anyway,
    but once again Thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone feeling for the resit tomorrow?

I got a D in january so hopefully I'll be much stricter with my timing!

Good luck for anyone sitting the exam tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone post those revision cards :d

ReputationRep:
    What's everybody focussing their last minute revision on? And how is everybody feeling for the exam?

I've spent all day trying to write essay plans for all possible topics, over tonight + tomorrow morning I still have to plan:
    - discuss the fusion of barristers/solicitors
    - discuss the balance of police powers/rights of an individual
    - discuss the dis/advantages of certain types of sentencing
    - describe aims + factors of sentencing

Hopefully I've then covered everything that I'm guessing will come up: bar/sols (complains+training), police powers (detain+interview), sentencing (aims or youth)

ReputationRep:
    can someone help me on what to right for training of lay magistrates n barristers n solicitors

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing Police Powers will be on either searches on the street and at police station or it'll be on detention, interview and searches.
    Sentencing will probably be describe the aims and a discuss question.
    Magistrates I hope will be on, Judiciary I'm 90% certain, possibly Juries and Bail and Barristers+Solictors will be on too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vhowkins)
    I'm guessing Police Powers will be on either searches on the street and at police station or it'll be on detention, interview and searches.
    Sentencing will probably be describe the aims and a discuss question.
    Magistrates I hope will be on, Judiciary I'm 90% certain, possibly Juries and Bail and Barristers+Solictors will be on too.
    The aims came up in january so I doubt they will come up again. It will most likely be on young offenders

ReputationRep:
    The aims came up in january so I doubt they will come up again. It will most likely be on young offenders
    Adult offenders came up in january

ReputationRep:
    You got that right, it was 'sentences for young offenders', so vague.

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys find that exam and what questions did you answer?

I did the police powers, bail, solicitors and barristers and the youth sentences!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hope everyone was okay with what was on! Just in case people are frantically searching threads for what came up May 2013... Except I've had to put an "x" next to the places I can't remember what the question was (since I didn't do it probably- I put a * next to questions I did do). I thought it went well since I focussed revision on only 5 topics (missed out courts etc.) so hoping for an A, roughly 100ums:

Section A
    Juries and magistrates (training + x)
    Sentencing (young offenders + types of sentences that may prevent re-offending)*
    Solicitors (training and work + problems that might deter people from becoming solicitors)*
    x Civil courts
    x

Section B
    Bail (basically describe it all + a scenario and what factors would be considered)*
    Police powers (detain, searches, and rights of an individual + a scenario on unlawful stop and search on street)*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ameenk95)

I did the police powers, bail, solicitors and barristers and the youth sentences!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did the same questions too! and I think it was okay how about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ameenk95)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I found the exam so good! Like really good! I did solicitors, juries and magistrates, police powers and bail! I was so happy with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, what came up on the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.