Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarMed25)
    I may be distantly related to General Wolfe (& Deanna Derbin too strangely!) but unfortunately my branch of the family tree are definitely the poor relations.

What are you doing over the summer? Something gap-yeary or just working?

Wow...that's some pretty decent family history. I may have some links to Charles Dickins, but have never tried to trace it.

I'm just working in what would be a dead end warehouse job if I wasn't going to uni in September. I know a job is a job and its good to have one in the current climate, but I was used as a human doorstop the other day. Seriously, I was just sat down, holding a door open whilst furniture was moved into a room for 45 minutes.

I had my gap year last year, so I'm all funned out for now haha. I take it that you're just working up until your course starts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davies1989)
    Wow...that's some pretty decent family history. I may have some links to Charles Dickins, but have never tried to trace it.

I'm just working in what would be a dead end warehouse job if I wasn't going to uni in September. I know a job is a job and its good to have one in the current climate, but I was used as a human doorstop the other day. Seriously, I was just sat down, holding a door open whilst furniture was moved into a room for 45 minutes.

I had my gap year last year, so I'm all funned out for now haha. I take it that you're just working up until your course starts?
    Ha ha! A human door-stop, that's made my day!! Surely it would be more cost effective to use an actual doorstop instead of a paid member of staff?!

I will be mostly working over the summer. I work at an interiors company during the day doing admin, marketing etc and help manage a pub in the evenings (which I'll still do while at uni.) It's pretty exhausting but I'm thinking of the pennies! Hopefully be spending a week or two in Marrakesh with the other half just before starting, and off to the IOW festival in a fortnight too so it won't be a completely horrible summer. Just mainly horrible.

Are you going to work at all once your course starts?

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha! A human door-stop, that's made my day!! Surely it would be more cost effective to use an actual doorstop instead of a paid member of staff?!

I will be mostly working over the summer. I work at an interiors company during the day doing admin, marketing etc and help manage a pub in the evenings (which I'll still do while at uni.) It's pretty exhausting but I'm thinking of the pennies! Hopefully be spending a week or two in Marrakesh with the other half just before starting, and off to the IOW festival in a fortnight too so it won't be a completely horrible summer. Just mainly horrible.

Are you going to work at all once your course starts?
    It was humiliating...I'm not the sort of person to scream and shout 'I have a degree'...But I have a degree dammit. I almost walked out. But I really need the money...

Sounds tough...Which pub is it you manage? Isle Of Wight does look pretty decent!!!
    Nah, I'm going to quit about a month before my course starts and just focus 100% on uni.

ReputationRep:
    It was humiliating...I'm not the sort of person to scream and shout 'I have a degree'...But I have a degree dammit. I almost walked out. But I really need the money...

Sounds tough...Which pub is it you manage? Isle Of Wight does look pretty decent!!!
    Nah, I'm going to quit about a month before my course starts and just focus 100% on uni.
    I know what you mean, I was working solely as the general manager of a fairly good restaurant for a few years prior to this, and the amount of times people referred to me as 'the waitress' or spoke to me like I was mentally infirm just because I was pouring their wine for them drove me to insanity, and I don't even have a degree yet! It's a place in Christleton called the Ring O Bells, it's perfect because they only want me three days a week, so it'll slot in nicely with studies. I'm guessing I'll be able to work fairly solidly until it hits exam time, so I can keep my head above my overdraft. Hopefully!

Did you get funding for the MA?

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, I was working solely as the general manager of a fairly good restaurant for a few years prior to this, and the amount of times people referred to me as 'the waitress' or spoke to me like I was mentally infirm just because I was pouring their wine for them drove me to insanity, and I don't even have a degree yet! It's a place in Christleton called the Ring O Bells, it's perfect because they only want me three days a week, so it'll slot in nicely with studies. I'm guessing I'll be able to work fairly solidly until it hits exam time, so I can keep my head above my overdraft. Hopefully!

Did you get funding for the MA?

Ah fair enough. I never get down to that area really.

Nah, no funding. Got a loan off the parents to pay back when I'm earning a wage.

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough. I never get down to that area really.

Nah, no funding. Got a loan off the parents to pay back when I'm earning a wage.
    Lucky you! I'm probably going to have to take up stripping if I want to do my MA! Are you planning on attending freshers week?

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you! I'm probably going to have to take up stripping if I want to do my MA! Are you planning on attending freshers week?

haha...fast cash plan there...

erm...I dunno...Haven't really looked into it really.

ReputationRep:
    Debi, I'm also studying sociology nice to know I won't be the only 'mature' student ha!

I'm combining with politics I think (still undecided)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello folks. As mentioned earlier there's a new Mature Student Society starting up and it'll be ready for Freshers Week. There's also a facebook page and you can find out more info there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/UoChesterMSS/

I'll be starting my 2nd year in October - I have absolutely LOVED every second of uni life so far. There wasn't any dedicated society for Mature Students last year so we decided to make our own The society is absolutely in its infancy but will be looking to cover all the aspects of returning to higher education as a mature student - from stuff like improving your academic writing to financial stuff to just meeting up with someone for a brew and a natter. We hope to see you all at the Freshers Fair in Freshers Week!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.