Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mandatory work activity pointless? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I would imagine though that you were volunteering either in a position which is relevant to your particular situation (training, career ambitions) or a position which was helping a good cause (ie charity work) - rather than an unrelated company using your labor leading to them not employing someone else seeking a job. The government scheme can still be useful imo, but it also has negatives and I find it particularly frustrating that people are being told they CAN'T do charity work yet forced to do this.

OP, experience is key! I see your points about it being a short time, and others getting similar experience now, but experience is soo soo important. Even if it seems unrelated to the jobs you are applying for/that are available at the moment, you can almost always swing it to show how it's useful.

Experience, in a lot of cases (obviously there are exceptions!) is not so much about having LOADS of it, it's about what you take from it. You can say in an interview about how you solved a problem, how you dealt with customers etc etc. Just make sure you make notes on situations you can use for future job applications. Also, you may be able to get a reference for future applications as well.

Having said that I don't think the government is necessarily thinking like that. I believe they are thinking 'If we make people do work we will look like we're cracking down on scroungers!' or something along those lines.

xxx
    True. It is a good point.

Agree with everything else you said as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    Fine, but it isn't much a choice.
    Yeah but the government don't want to just be handing people money for the sake of it, they need to make them as employable as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I would just get in touch with an employment agency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    Yeah but the government don't want to just be handing people money for the sake of it, they need to make them as employable as possible.

By reducing their choices? Taking away liberty? No thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    By reducing their choices? Taking away liberty? No thank you.
    Well kiss goodbye to your benefits then.

I don't see why tax money should be funding people's cushy lifestyles.

ReputationRep:

Because in the vast majority of cases it isn't.

Aside I agree with welfare cuts as I believe in a smaller state, but your justification doesn't stand with the facts. Economic supply side reform is why i believe we should reduce the size of the welfare state and then of course the budget deficit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    If I was unemployed I'd be grateful just to have something to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's plenty of things to do if you're unemployed, you act as if we sit around in a small room and stare at the ceiling all day.

ReputationRep:
    Not under this policy- would he not face sanction if he refuses?

Taking part in these schemes are a condition of receiving the welfare. It might not be fair, but it is what it is. Personally, I think those taking part in the schemes should be rewarded in some way.

I just don't really see why OP would not just make the most of the opportunity even of they don't see its relevance. It could lead to a job. It might make them see that previously dismissed areas are more attractive. Successful completion will show a potential employer that they are still capable of 9-5 or whatever.

Employers are short-sighted, fickle and risk averse. A big gap leads to doubts about willingness, capability, attendance etc. Having done some retail recruitment and taken on the unemployed, I know that those prejudices are not always unfounded.

The attitude that it is a big waste of time annoys me; trying and failing to get a job is just as big a waste of time.

Yes, these benefits are there as a safety net, but they aren't free to society. Anything that could conceivably help to get the unemployed back to work should be tried.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't seeit as an opportunity and I briefly mentioned why in the OP. Experience is relavant relative to other people applying for the same role and 4 weeks unpaid work activity won't place me ahead of other applicants with actual experience. Basically the reason why some of the jobs I apply for now don't hire me (lack of experience) will still be the reason after this mandatory work because ill still have LESS experience than most of the other applicants anyway.

ReputationRep:

And I don't see why you should make false assumptions and jump on the bandwagon regarding benefits. Plenty of people use their benefits in the way that was originally intended and thats for things like food, travel etc. Even if part of the money goes towards things to enjoy, like a drink down the pub or a DVD or something, SO WHAT. People demand by right health care, firefighters when they need them, police to protect them (the cost possibly being way above one's Individual tax contribution) and yet demonise benefit seekers for sometimes using their tiny amounts of money to enjoy themselves a little bit. If it's economic concerns that bother you or Anyone else who (having a wage and yet spending time doing this?) wants to constantly bang on about benefits and cushy lifestyles, then why don't you donate more to charities such as those looking to cure certain diseases and eventually alleviate some of the NHS's work and expenses..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonefrombrum)
    There's plenty of things to do if you're unemployed, you act as if we sit around in a small room and stare at the ceiling all day.
    If you read my later post, you'll see I clarified this statement.

As for your other comment, again you are failing to see the opportunities. Do you think all of those on the scheme will do it successfully? Do you think each will sell it as well as you may be able to? Will all the others be able to get good comments and good references? Do you not think you will feel a sense of satisfaction? Or will not you be inspired by the experience- whether positive or negative?

I sense that you will be resistant to it throughout the process, and as such for you it really might be a waste of time.

It is whatever you make of it. Have no doubt some will approach it with the attitude I and others have alluded to. It may well work for them.

And if not, what have you lost? All those weeks applying for jobs has got you cack all so far. Worth a go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are not working for free, you are working for your benefits. If you are not happy with those 4 weeks then why don't you find something for longer period of time? My adviser also mentioned about this 4 weeks of voluntary work experience but I told him that I'm already looking myself for it which means I'll be doing more than 4 weeks of voluntary work. I've already been to a volunteer interview and waiting for a response if I was successful or not just because there were lots of people interested in that position.

ReputationRep:

As for your other comment, again you are failing to see the opportunities. Do you think all of those on the scheme will do it successfully? Do you think each will sell it as well as you may be able to? Will all the others be able to get good comments and good references? Do you not think you will feel a sense of satisfaction? Or will not you be inspired by the experience- whether positive or negative?

I sense that you will be resistant to it throughout the process, and as such for you it really might be a waste of time.

It is whatever you make of it. Have no doubt some will approach it with the attitude I and others have alluded to. It may well work for them.

And if not, what have you lost? All those weeks applying for jobs has got you cack all so far. Worth a go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Firstly, I was mainly referring to other applicants with proper experience behind them, such as actual full time jobs. After this 4 week unpaid course ill still be behind them in the experience department. As to your argument about my competition being the other job seekers who have completed this course and me being able to sell the experience better, I would say that if I was able to sell the experience better, the other things on my CV would stand out more compared to theirs as clealry my persuasive writing is better than theirs (who's to say that it is) and before the course I'd have a better chance of landing the job anyway. And yes, they will also get good references and good comments.

No I will feel no satisfaction, only resentment that I am a pawn in the Government's game of politics point scoring and am working for a company who is not having to pay me for the privilege of my efforts. I know that It will not significantly increase my chances of finding employment in any way and so I'm not exactly jumping for joy about having to do it. If I wanted to work unpaid and find inspiration and Satisfaction, I'd walk into any business on the planet and tell them that I'm available for work and I'm demanding a £0 salary. They'll hire me quicker than you can say 'the Government are eggheads'. I'm guessing though that if you were to become unemployed, you would do this?

I've lost 4 weeks of my life that I could be spending with my friends and family, making the most of my free time before I eventually do find a steady job. I've lost the opportunity to cold call (planning to do this soon, learnt about it recently) employers during their hours of operation and that for a course that won't even help me and will only benefit the employer that I'm being forced to work for....... it really is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Firstly, I was mainly referring to other applicants with proper experience behind them, such as actual full time jobs. After this 4 week unpaid course ill still be behind them in the experience department. As to your argument about my competition being the other job seekers who have completed this course and me being able to sell the experience better, I would say that if I was able to sell the experience better, the other things on my CV would stand out more compared to theirs as clealry my persuasive writing is better than theirs (who's to say that it is) and before the course I'd have a better chance of landing the job anyway. And yes, they will also get good references and good comments.

No I will feel no satisfaction, only resentment that I am a pawn in the Government's game of politics point scoring and am working for a company who is not having to pay me for the privilege of my efforts. I know that It will not significantly increase my chances of finding employment in any way and so I'm not exactly jumping for joy about having to do it. If I wanted to work unpaid and find inspiration and Satisfaction, I'd walk into any business on the planet and tell them that I'm available for work and I'm demanding a £0 salary. They'll hire me quicker than you can say 'the Government are eggheads'. I'm guessing though that if you were to become unemployed, you would do this?

I've lost 4 weeks of my life that I could be spending with my friends and family, making the most of my free time before I eventually do find a steady job. I've lost the opportunity to cold call (planning to do this soon, learnt about it recently) employers during their hours of operation and that for a course that won't even help me and will only benefit the employer that I'm being forced to work for....... it really is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:

Looks like I was right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I was right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How does it look like that in any way? If that's what you're seeing pal, probably a good idea to change your contact lenses or get new spectacles.

ReputationRep:
    How does it look like that in any way? If that's what you're seeing pal, probably a good idea to change your contact lenses or get new spectacles.
    You're just moaning and whining. It might be a cack situation- but just get on with it. You've got nothing to lose no matter what you try to convince yourself.

Perhaps the scheme won't benefit you. But it has no chance of doing so if you give it no hope from the off. I said as much before and you pretty much restated everything you said originally, so I think I was right.

Also:

1) my eyesight is fine; and
    2) I'm not your pal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're just moaning and whining. It might be a cack situation- but just get on with it. You've got nothing to lose no matter what you try to convince yourself.

Perhaps the scheme won't benefit you. But it has no chance of doing so if you give it no hope from the off. I said as much before and you pretty much restated everything you said originally, so I think I was right.

Also:

1) my eyesight is fine; and
    2) I'm not your pal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't do anything of the sort, you've gone from making me think your eyesight is bad to making me think you're just an idiotic person. You haven't disproved any of my points and you have no arguments that are valid that justify the use of this scheme; you're basically committing debate suicide.

Also;

1. Good for you, I sense your optical efficiency is utilised mainly to stare at blogs written by pretentious wannabe academics
    2. I thought that I'd try and make you feel better about me proving everything you said to be wrong by being a bit friendly, hahahaha guess that aint happening

Leave it now, you're boring me and doing yourself and your intelligence a disservice. This mandatory work course will NOT do much good, regardless of whether you go in with optimism or its enemy, pessimism, and is a way for the Goverment to seem to be doing something PROactive, yet can be seen to be flawed by anyone and they don't have to be a PROfessional to come to that conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do anything of the sort, you've gone from making me think your eyesight is bad to making me think you're just an idiotic person. You haven't disproved any of my points and you have no arguments that are valid that justify the use of this scheme; you're basically committing debate suicide.

Also;

1. Good for you, I sense your optical efficiency is utilised mainly to stare at blogs written by pretentious wannabe academics
    2. I thought that I'd try and make you feel better about me proving everything you said to be wrong by being a bit friendly, hahahaha guess that aint happening

Leave it now, you're boring me and doing yourself and your intelligence a disservice. This mandatory work course will NOT do much good, regardless of whether you go in with optimism or its enemy, pessimism, and is a way for the Goverment to seem to be doing something PROactive, yet can be seen to be flawed by anyone and they don't have to be a PROfessional to come to that conclusion.
    Sorry, I thought you wanted practical advice- not a political rant/whine.

Nobody will ever disprove your points- they are your opinions and you can hold them.

People can try to pursuant you to give it a chance. I tried and I failed. It's your life. Thankfully I don't have to concern myself with any of it beyond this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.