Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Roberto Mancini sacked. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pendulum3)
    I think other factors could be there to, Man City has got a decent defensive record but there top scorer is Dzeko is there top scorer with 13 goals. Tevez has been below par this season, it is different for Aguero, this season people predicted him as a predator due to last seasons goal tally, and it's not just Aguero, Kompany and Silva have had some below par performances, this season. The worst mistake I'd say Manchester City did was sell.... Balotelli, believe it or not they needed goals, to seal of games, Balotelli is doing very well in the Serie A, yes he may be crazy and I understand there decision to sell him, he seems to have calmed down in Italy, but you know it's Balotelli when he says you can have sex with my girlfriend if Real Madrid get through, problem with Balotelli is he's a very difficult lad to control, but when you do see his potential he has scored 11 goals in 12 games for AC Milan, just the kind of goals Man City needed. he does seemed to have calmed down though, but there was also issues in Man City training ground, especially when Balotelli was there, lowering squad morale, but does this also show that Mancini couldn't handle the dressing room? They had spent around £400million to buy player and they can't get to the Champions League Quaterfinals at least, lose the cup to Wigan and considering this seasons title challenges with United, who I have to admit is a pretty strong side, they are far off, you want to know how much Man City main strikers cost around 90million to 100million let say that, Aguero 35 million + add ons, Tevez was reportly around 30 million and Dzeko was around 27 = 90 million to 100million
    How much did it cost for United main striker to help them win the league? 22 million. The fact that they spent so much money and can't win trophies as much they hope is a factor, I also think Mancini, I don't know why but I feel as if he couldn't control the dressing rooms sometimes, a manager needs to show players he has control, but he doesn't seem that controlling to me.
    Yeh there were deffo other factors although the money invested is obviously the biggest. Who did they sign in the summer: a past it Maicon, Rodwell, Sinclair & Javi Garcia, not enough quality there tbh. Mancini also seems too defensive at times & obviously the lack of goals didn't help but with Balotelli he is young & has a very bright future ahead imo, but at the same time he didn't really like English culture that much. Still think he deserved at least one more season though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Nalbandian14)
    Moyes-Pellagrini-Mourinho

One confirmed, but the two are constant suggestions by the mass media.
    Pellagrini seems the most likeliest. But I have a funny feeling that Benitez might end up there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Yeh there were deffo other factors although the money invested is obviously the biggest. Who did they sign in the summer: a past it Maicon, Rodwell, Sinclair & Javi Garcia, not enough quality there tbh. Mancini also seems too defensive at times & obviously the lack of goals didn't help but with Balotelli he is young & has a very bright future ahead imo, but at the same time he didn't really like English culture that much. Still think he deserved at least one more season though.
    I get what your saying and agree about your part about the transfers, just wasting money, the only good one in my opinion was Matija Nastasic, as for Balotelli, he a wild lad to say the least, any manager respectivaly would be agree with him, however he is young and he is a talent, and he'd proved that numerous times for Man City, I'm sure he could have quietened down, but I guess he loved Italy. I'm not against but I'm not fan of Mancini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)
    Pellagrini seems the most likeliest. But I have a funny feeling that Benitez might end up there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not just me with the Benitez feeling then

ReputationRep:
    Should have been given another season.

United will probably finish on 91 points. It would have been extremely difficult for City to beat that.

The FA Cup was a fail, but **** happens.

ReputationRep:
    I always felt that his "solution" to any given problem would be to ask for more players, instead of, you know, coaching the team of players he had at his ready disposal - doing his job, in other words. Pardew and Redknapp are the same, always itching to sign someone. It's bad management, in my opinion. And I don't think it's a charge you can level at Ferguson, as others often do in rebuttal, because although he did spend vast amounts of money during his tenure, he equally gave opportunities to United's academy graduates, displaying the necessary patience which allowed for them to eventually cement their place within the squad (Cleverley's a good example of this).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    As much as I hated his moaning, I think it was harsh to sack him.

ReputationRep:
    Good decision

Man City wouldn't have progressed much further whilst he was in charge

Why keep a manager thats had so many falling outs with players and with the board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moomino)
    Why keep a manager thats had so many falling outs with players and with the board?
    He helped them win the title only last year? As for fall outs, any manager would have fallen out with Balotelli. This is a general rant, not aimed at you mate:

Way too harsh to sack him and it makes football look like an absolute joke. I attribute a lot of the blame to these owners that swan over and pretend to know something about football. They say they want a manager who can build a 'dynasty' - what the **** does that even mean. The FA cup loss was unexpected yes, but maybe someone should talk to the players who just didn't seem to want it as badly as Wigan. Presumably they thought they would walk it and ended up being outplayed. Unless they want Mancini to run on and score himself, sacking him is just another reflection on the sorry state of trigger happy football.

Phew.

ReputationRep:
    With A team like Man City, u can't finish Second In the premier league and get knocked out if the champions league. Lose in all cups. Robert Mancini could of done better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Apparently Sheikh Mansour requested Mancini to come to Abu Dhabi for a meeting and Mancini snubbed him because he was preparing for Man U at home. The Sheikh took this as a grave insult and their relationship broke down from there
    You do realise Sheikh Mansour is nothing like Roman Abramovich? He doesnt directly communicate with the football club staff, very rarely if it all. If Mancini would've been meeting anyone from the Sheikh's people it would be the club chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak, who would conduct the business for the club in Manchester.

No City manager would ever be required to travel half way across the world during the season for a meeting FFS. :rolleyes:

Also sacking Mancini was unfair, he won them the league for the first time in 44 years and he's not a bad manager. He deserved a couple more seasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    You do realise Sheikh Mansour is nothing like Roman Abramovich? He doesnt directly communicate with the football club staff, very rarely if it all. If Mancini would've been meeting anyone from the Sheikh's people it would be the club chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak, who would conduct the business for the club in Manchester.

No City manager would ever be required to travel half way across the world during the season for a meeting FFS. :rolleyes:

Also sacking Mancini was unfair, he won them the league for the first time in 44 years and he's not a bad manager. He deserved a couple more seasons.
    I don't think that meeting was the substantial cause of his Job loss but what I know for sure is that Sheikh Mansour is much more involved at City than people think, 1bn pounds of his money is Invested in the club

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redfmx)
    With A team like Man City, u can't finish Second In the premier league and get knocked out if the champions league. Lose in all cups. Robert Mancini could of done better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does it count for nothing that they won the title last year then? Also the FA cup loss wasn't his fault, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Objectively speaking, looking at how he fares in the two previous seasons, he probably deserved another year at least.

However, I feel that, ultimately, this decision will be beneficial to Manchester City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Benitez has a couple things which would probably go in his favour:

- He has a good record in Europe - UEFA cup winners with Valencia, twice finalist, once winners with Liverpool and he could add a Europa League trophy with Chelsea. He generally performed well in cup competitions.

- His focus on Liverpool's youth team and set up. Credit also goes to Dalglish and Rodgers for giving young players the chance but Rafa overhauled the youth system, brought in new youth coaches, changed the set up, bought plenty of young players brimming with potential and we're seeing the rewards today.
    You probably can't discount the fact that Rafa brought in the likes of Rodolfo Borrell and Jose Segura from Barcelona to revamp the youth team, something which will have been noted by Txiki Begiristain, as he was at Barcelona when they left to join Liverpool (though he left shortly after too).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Does it count for nothing that they won the title last year then? Also the FA cup loss wasn't his fault, in my opinion.
    It is the managers job to motivate his players. The City team looked like they couldn't be arsed, as if they'd win just by turning up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    It is the managers job to motivate his players. The City team looked like they couldn't be arsed, as if they'd win just by turning up.
    Were they unmotivated when Aguero scored in the dying seconds to win them the title? Also I'd argue that blaming Mancini for the loss because he failed to motivate the players is pretty unfair, when nobody says anything about their captain (or at least not that I've heard, it's been criticism of the team generally)

These foreign owners are such hypocrites. They want a manager that can build a "dynasty", but only if you can do it in two seasons? Best of luck to anyone that takes a job at places like City and Chelsea.
    These rants aren't aimed at anyone in particular lads.

ReputationRep:

He bought a full page in the Manchester Evening News thanking fans for their support. Every time I start to become disillusioned with football, something like this happens and reminds me that this sport is amazing and I'm proud to be a fan.

ReputationRep:
    Benitez should go to City. Would be a good appointment, especially if they want to do better in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Kant Spall)

He bought a full page in the Manchester Evening News thanking fans for their support. Every time I start to become disillusioned with football, something like this happens and reminds me that this sport is amazing and I'm proud to be a fan.
    Give Mancini props for that. In a time when managers thank the support from the fans when they leave via a prepared and dour press statement, it's nice for some managers to think outside the box to say thanks.

Reading some articles, seems the players are well chuffed he's gone and interestingly, none of them have tweeted a farewell message either.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.