Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Woman commits suicide blaming government's 'bedroom tax'. Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame that she felt the need to kill herself but I don't think the government should be blamed either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Maybe would have could have possibly...

I can only form my opinion on the facts that are presented to me. If there were other factors involved then I may possibly change my position, but as it stands, things as they are, with the 'bedroom tax' being blamed for her suicide, my positions is as it is.
    Weasley words damn you! If she really did commit suicide over 80 quid, then what can I say..

It surely doesn't justify the re-evaluation of government policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-Andrew)
    The bedroom tax means pay for your spare rooms or move to a house which has less bedrooms...i am assuming the grandmother didn't want to move to a different council house?
    The bedroom tax isn't even a tax, it's just less benefits.

ReputationRep:
    It is always sad when somebody takes their own life but to blame the government is absurd. It is like a person committing suicide because their neighbor has a nice garden does it make it their fault? More needs to be done to screen people for mental problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    The bedroom tax isn't even a tax, it's just less benefits.
    Ah alright yeah I think it's a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    Weasley words damn you! If she really did commit suicide over 80 quid, then what can I say..

I think you're placing too much faith in assuming everyone is as rational as you yourself are...People have done more for less, or so I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    People not living in council housing who can no longer pay for their mortgage or rent have to move to a smaller house or in a different location, why should those living in council housing have any different? They were lucky not having to suffer from this issue home owners have to make when their house costs too much and they have to move, now it's simply equal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    The option was given to her to move into a smaller house. She decided to throw the ultimate tantrum because she didn't want to move.

Anybody else seen kids hold their breath until they pass out wanting to get what they want?
    Ultimate tantrum? Maybe/hopefully you don't quite grasp what she must have been going through. She was depressed to the point of feeling so desperate she felt suicide was the only escape, people in such a place don't think logically. To jump infront of a lorry indicates that it had likely reached the point of psychosis where nothing but self destruction fills your mind. It is irrelevant to apportion blame to her, she was not acting in a rational or normal manner.

ReputationRep:
    My mum has always insisted that we continue to live in a 4 bedroom house when there was only 3 of us. It annoyed me to no end because she couldn't afford this or that because she just wouldn't change house. Yes it was a nice area but she bought it when she was married and after a year of having it she got divorced and for the past 12 years she has always struggled to afford this and that and had multiple breakdowns due to money.

I just can't understand people saying the 'need' to live in a big over sized house they don't need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rarrgh)
    My mum has always insisted that we continue to live in a 4 bedroom house when there was only 3 of us. It annoyed me to no end because she couldn't afford this or that because she just wouldn't change house. Yes it was a nice area but she bought it when she was married and after a year of having it she got divorced and for the past 12 years she has always struggled to afford this and that and had multiple breakdowns due to money.

I just can't understand people saying the 'need' to live in a big over sized house they don't need.
    In the end though you will benefit having paid for that house all these years. Eventually you will have a nice nest egg, whereas those that had a less expensive home and lived more luxurious lives will have less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seahorseman)
    In the end though you will benefit having paid for that house all these years. Eventually you will have a nice nest egg, whereas those that had a less expensive home and lived more luxurious lives will have less.
    The amount of emotional crap that went on while living in the house has not made mine nor my sisters life any easier. Plus I find that life is for living now, I can't understand that if I make it so I suffer for my entire life until I turn 60/70 trying to pay off a mortgage to enjoy it for only another 10 more years when I can't do anything would be a full and enriching life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    How many deaths untill it does? How long do we push and demonise the vulnerable while cutting mental health funding? As long as we continue along that line we will see more and more of this. Maybe you think it unavoidable, we have budget deficit to sort out afterall, but to deny that these cases have anything to do with government policy is just sticking your head in the sand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rarrgh)
    The amount of emotional crap that went on while living in the house has not made mine nor my sisters life any easier. Plus I find that life is for living now, I can't understand that if I make it so I suffer for my entire life until I turn 60/70 trying to pay off a mortgage to enjoy it for only another 10 more years when I can't do anything would be a full and enriching life.
    All families go through emotional crap it has nothing to do with money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seahorseman)
    All families go through emotional crap it has nothing to do with money.
    Oh I know that, but the majority of my mom's breakdowns and stuff like that were down to her money issues due to 'needing' to live in a house we didn't need.

ReputationRep:
    This is very sad news. But just a little pet peeve of mine, but can people be a bit more careful and not refer to her as having "commited" suicide? Suicide is not illegal, and hasn't been for 50 years.

This might seem pedantic but for personal reasons it's quite important to me.

Amazingly is wasn't any of teh vunerable members of society that everybody claimed would eb effected, that committed suicide. It was a 53 year old woman, not registered as disabled who was living by herself in a three bedroom house.
    It's not possible to be "registered" disabled. How do you know she didn't have a disability or chronic medical condition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Ultimate tantrum? Maybe/hopefully you don't quite grasp what she must have been going through. She was depressed to the point of feeling so desperate she felt suicide was the only escape, people in such a place don't think logically. To jump infront of a lorry indicates that it had likely reached the point of psychosis where nothing but self destruction fills your mind. It is irrelevant to apportion blame to her, she was not acting in a rational or normal manner.
    Whose fault is it then?
    She was offered alternative accomodation but she choose to commit suicide rather than face the social 'embarrassment' of having to move all of six miles away. I fail to see who exactly we should allocate blame to than her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    It's not possible to be "registered" disabled. How do you know she didn't have a disability or chronic medical condition?
    She had auto-immune deficiency and her doctors had said she was too ill to work. It appears that she did not claim DLA, as it used to be known as.

ReputationRep:
    1) She was offered alternative accomodation. She chose not to take it.
    The bungalow they offered was a 30-minute walk from a bus stop and 6 miles from her family and friends.She was disabled and incase you hadn't noticed moving house is not only expensive, but extremely stressfull. Clearly you don't quite understand mental illness, but that is more than enough to tip many over the edge.

2) Her kids could've financially helped her out, if not they could have moved back in with her or got her to move in with them.
    What of those without family?

3) She had options to take in a lodger.
    Hmm, not sure how well that would go for many suffering with mental illness.

4) She hardly made a go of it as these changes only kicked in a few weeks back.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    For those of you calling this woman 'selfish'; I personally would say that is morally wrong, you have no ground or justification to say this, you don't know all the factors of this woman's ordeal and as n00 said,she clearly wasn't in a clear state or rational state of mind at that point and that itself suggests that not enough is being done to help those that are clearly struggling. This morning on the news someone said quote: 'London and the South-East appear to be in their own bubble,' and as much as i'd want to disagree with this opinion, this report just highlights that perhaps it is true, and although this is going to be very controversial, the state of Britain at the moment is beginning, to a certain extent, to resemble the days of Thatcher where the poor were some what 'neglected' (in particular manufacturing industries up north) and unemployment rocketed. Perhaps yes the government isn't to blame for this particular woman's suicide; maybe other factors such as psychosis etc....however that doesn't mean thousands of others aren't struggling with the same problem, surely more should be done to help, not make it worse/be ignored and call them 'selfish'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    She had Myasthenia Gravis.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...phanie-1883600

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.