Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it a waste of public money that an MP calls for gay marriage referendum? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    What I fail to understand is, why a civil partnership is worse than a marriage.

People always say "gays can only have a civil partnership", but why is it only a civil partnership when the only difference is the name?
    You don't get the same travel rights for a lot of countries, if your partner dies and you're in a civil partnership you get far less of their pension and for nowhere near as long as in a marriage, if you're religious, it is forbidden for you to include any kind of religion in your civil partnership. Unfortunately, in many ways it is legally seen as a "lesser" form.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster

People always say "gays can only have a civil partnership", but why is it only a civil partnership when the only difference is the name?
    See below

(Original post by shadowdweller)
    Civil partnerships aren't recognised in countries that allow gay marriage.

Also, gender is written into the structure of UK marriage law. This means if a married trans person would like to get a Gender Recognition Certificate as part of living in their preferred gender, they must divorce and reapply for civil partnership

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Less than a century ago being gay was a crime. That kind of mentality is still in the heads of some and it is those idiots who need overruling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaHillier)
    The right to family life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

they already have civil marriage, what do they want religious marriage for!?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by HS2)
    We have civil partnerships, not civil marriage

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    100% yes. Waste of time. Waste of money. Legalise it and move on to IMPORTANT issues that concern the majority of the population for goodness SAKES

ReputationRep:
    It is a waste of money there is more important things to be spending the cash on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    100% yes. Waste of time. Waste of money. Legalise it and move on to IMPORTANT issues that concern the majority of the population for goodness SAKES
    Because Afghanistan, Iraq, and nuclear deterrent are all noble things to spunk our cash on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's not really a right. It's certainly a fundamental human right to have your own children, but you don't have the "right to a family", only the right to create your own offspring.

And, of course, you don't have to be married in order to start a family, you know.

I don't see the fuss about gay marriage. Civil partnerships and marriages are already identical, so it seems a waste of public money to do anything in this regard. Quite why everyone gets in such a fuss about the name of this (all you're doing is changing the words "civil partnership" to "marriage") is a little beyond me.
    I am not a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of person, but in this case fixing it would do quite literally nothing other than change the name for gay couples.

If we're going to have a system of legal unions, then I think the focus should be turned away from gay people, who now have equal rights, and to rarer relationships, namely polygamy, among others, which don't have the same rights.

I do, however, loathe the current system of legal unions. I wish the government would get out of relationships - they have no business there.

Edit: In case you're wondering, I am a gay man myself.
    So it would be okay to call a marriage between Black people a different name even though it is only called that because of race?
    It is the same principle it is only called a civil partnership because they aren't straight. And you can't even say it is because a marriage is religious because then it would be called something different for atheists (but last I heard they can get married).

"‘It’s very dear to me, the issue of gay marriage. Or as I like to call it: “Marriage.” You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn’t gay park it'" Liz Feldman

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow_Calm)
    So it would be okay to call a marriage between Black people a different name even though it is only called that because of race?
    It is the same principle it is only called a civil partnership because they aren't straight. And you can't even say it is because a marriage is religious because then it would be called something different for atheists (but last I heard they can get married).

"‘It’s very dear to me, the issue of gay marriage. Or as I like to call it: “Marriage.” You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn’t gay park it'" Liz Feldman

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You did a fantastic job of missing the point there.

I too would rather the marriage 'issue' did not exist; that there was just one comprehensive term and act for it, and I wish the legal system actually allowed that. Sadly, it never will.

What I asked was why people make such a big deal of it. I'm not saying that I would prefer there to be "civil partnerships" and "marriages", because obviously it's handier to call everything by the same name. But there is no difference between a civil partnership and a marriage, so why are so many people up in arms about it?

"So it would be okay to call a marriage between Black people a different name even though it is only called that because of race?"
    Yes, it would be, because they would have exactly the same legal rights. Of course, there is no need to change it, because it is very slightly easier and less confusing to have just one name, but that doesn't mean that having black marriage and white marriage wouldn't be okay.

And of course I don't think marriage is religious. If you read my signature, you would know that.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    But there is no difference between a civil partnership and a marriage, so why are so many people up in arms about it?
    I've already posted the differences twice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've already posted the differences twice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Civil partnerships aren't recognised in countries that allow gay marriage.

Also, gender is written into the structure of UK marriage law. This means if a married trans person would like to get a Gender Recognition Certificate as part of living in their preferred gender, they must divorce and reapply for civil partnership

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. We don't change our laws just because other countries have different laws.
    2. Point taken, but it isn't related to my question of why people are up in arms about this issue.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    2. Point taken, but it isn't related to my question of why people are up in arms about this issue.
    I'm not saying we should, but you asked the difference

And I think the second point is a rather key one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Since when has marriage been a "basic human right"? :facepalm:
    If in your opinion it is not a basic human right, then it is a basic right for a British citizen living in the UK!!!

ReputationRep:
    People are up in arms about this because it all comes down to being fair.
    If we were discussing racism I think everyone would have something different to say.
    It is not fair that a minority is denied a right which others receive.
    In my opinion it is like saying a person of a different race cannot get married in the UK because they are not white.

I understand that there are other important issues in the UK which need to be tackled first but this whole gay marriage issue must be important to some people, if not to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HS2)
    They may be religious and it may be very important to them to be bale to have a religious ceremony

ReputationRep:
    That's not really a right. It's certainly a fundamental human right to have your own children, but you don't have the "right to a family", only the right to create your own offspring.

And, of course, you don't have to be married in order to start a family, you know.

I don't see the fuss about gay marriage. Civil partnerships and marriages are already identical, so it seems a waste of public money to do anything in this regard. Quite why everyone gets in such a fuss about the name of this (all you're doing is changing the words "civil partnership" to "marriage") is a little beyond me.
    I am not a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of person, but in this case fixing it would do quite literally nothing other than change the name for gay couples.

If we're going to have a system of legal unions, then I think the focus should be turned away from gay people, who now have equal rights, and to rarer relationships, namely polygamy, among others, which don't have the same rights.

I do, however, loathe the current system of legal unions. I wish the government would get out of relationships - they have no business there.

Edit: In case you're wondering, I am a gay man myself.
    Only marriages are recognised abroad. So no, they're not identical.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

It's just stupid. You don't call marriage between blacks something else. You don't call marriage between disabled people something else. Etc etc. so why should gay people have the same thing but named differently? If it's really the same (in most aspects) just call it marriage FFS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZB2012)
    People are up in arms about this because it all comes down to being fair.
    If we were discussing racism I think everyone would have something different to say.
    It is not fair that a minority is denied a right which others receive.
    In my opinion it is like saying a person of a different race cannot get married in the UK because they are not white.

I understand that there are other important issues in the UK which need to be tackled first but this whole gay marriage issue must be important to some people, if not to everyone.
    Spot on. Absolutely spot on.
    I really cannot fathom why people think it's ok for gay people to be discriminated against when we are so sensitive to racism. It's not ok. Ever. At all. Needs to be changed.

ReputationRep:
    What a shambles, this shouldn't even be on the table until we have had our EU In/Out referendum.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.