Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

David Cameron's views on the EU - out of touch Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Actually, traditional Tories are 'one nation conservatives'; people like Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine. Thatcherism, as the name suggests, only began with Thatcher (and while Eurosceptic, she never wanted Britain to leave the EU completely).
    Judging from your username I found it quite ironic you know so much about political ideology and the state apparatus.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand where this viewpoint of 'the british public wants out of the EU' comes from, its just clear that those that do want out make their opinions heard more, and usually with the reasons of unlimited EU imigration and the European Court of human rights chaning our laws, when they don't really understand the benefits that do come from EU membership. Education is needed before it's fair to hold a referendum.

I also don't think people voting UKIP indicates people wanting to leave the EU, simply sick of the traditional parties who can't be trusted anymore. Personally I think cameron is right to stand up to his party and not just give in, Thatcher would of stood up for what she believed was right aswell

ReputationRep:
    He's just out of touch with most thing

ReputationRep:
    There are so many benefits of being in the EU, just head to the prosperous nations of Ireland, Cyprus, Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal, also dont forget to visit their dad Germany, and their Mum, France.

Join the Eurozone today! We'll be sure to empty your savings accounts to pay our own debts!

Benefits of the EU, Pff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samwah)
    I don't understand where this viewpoint of 'the british public wants out of the EU' comes from, its just clear that those that do want out make their opinions heard more, and usually with the reasons of unlimited EU imigration and the European Court of human rights chaning our laws, when they don't really understand the benefits that do come from EU membership. Education is needed before it's fair to hold a referendum.

I also don't think people voting UKIP indicates people wanting to leave the EU, simply sick of the traditional parties who can't be trusted anymore. Personally I think cameron is right to stand up to his party and not just give in, Thatcher would of stood up for what she believed was right aswell
    The second part where you talk about UKIP my hold a little true, but the bit on the EU errr.

Its not media or politicians trying to scare people for self interests or anything like that. The EU is moving toward federalization. People talk on about how the usa works, so europe can. It can't never ever ever. Why because europe varies so much in culture and language. So much so they can't even agree on how to farm because southern country won't break with the 'cultural traditions" and you can't blame them. The more counties are pulled together unwillingly and the diminishing of national boarder the more nationalism with rise and it will end in violence.

I've been on a revision binge so have to keep it short and sweet, but please don't just look at the thing the mainstream media talk about such as immigration because that's the least of are or the eurozones worries, it just sell papers!

I do degree economic and I promise you even a GCSE economics student would tell you that the EU (and without doubt the euro) is economically flood.

If it doesn't break up within 10 years you have the right to kill me. No criminal charges will be brought!!!

ReputationRep:

From polling. And concerns aren't just in the uk.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/a...lls-record-low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseMunchies)
    The second part where you talk about UKIP my hold a little true, but the bit on the EU errr.

Its not media or politicians trying to scare people for self interests or anything like that. The EU is moving toward federalization. People talk on about how the usa works, so europe can. It can't never ever ever. Why because europe varies so much in culture and language. So much so they can't even agree on how to farm because southern country won't break with the 'cultural traditions" and you can't blame them. The more counties are pulled together unwilling and diminish national boarder the more nationalism with rise and it will end in violence.

I've been on a revision binge so have to keep it short and sweet, but please don't just look at the thing the mainstream media talk about such as immigration because that the least of are or the eurozones worries, it just sell papers!

I do degree economic and I promise you even a GCSE economics student would tell you that the EU (and without doubt the euro) is economically flood.

If it doesn't break up within 10 year you have the right to kill me. No criminal charges will be brought!!!
    although I don't have such a large knowledge of advnaced economics, and whilst i agree on the euro being a complete failure, something like the eurozone does bring about growth during times of global prosperity. So why should we leave now when times are hard for everyone, regardless of being in or out of the EU when in the future the eurozone could bring about increased growth and therefore prosperity within the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    I'd agree with that. Other phrases overly used are Fascist, Fascist, Bigot, outraged and offended.

(Original post by anarchism101)
    Actually, traditional Tories are 'one nation conservatives'; people like Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine. Thatcherism, as the name suggests, only began with Thatcher (and while Eurosceptic, she never wanted Britain to leave the EU completely).

(Original post by gladders)
    And 'cultural marxist'
    Gay, although that's only a little over used...

ReputationRep:
    and maybe I'm just being naive, but the idea of a 'unified europe' sounds better for Britain than dissolving into a nation that thinks it's a world power when its far from, we'd be left to kiss the feet of the americans who dislike us just as much as the french

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that the majority of the population WANT a referudum. It'd be mad for the tories to push it forwards, leaving it until after the election will net them lots of votes, especially with all the popularity of UKIP spreading discontent towards the EU.

Aside focus on cameron and splits between the conservatives on the EU is taking attention away from:

- The governor of the BOE ( an independent extremely well respected body ) has predicted a stable recovery over the next three years in response to the government's economic policy.

- The fact the the conservatives are the ONLY main party pushing forwards a populist policy.

ReputationRep:
    and maybe I'm just being naive, but the idea of a 'unified europe' sounds better for Britain than dissolving into a nation that thinks it's a world power when its far from, we'd be left to kiss tahe feet of the americans who dislike us just as much as the french
    The problem is that eurpope isn't one country and taking a one brush fits all approach would leave:

- Bad policy for some areas, good for other areas.
    - More powerfull countries pushing through their own intrests, resulting in a bigger gap.
    - People feeling disgruntled as the EU parliment is not as close to full democracy as seperate nation parlients.
    - Polarized views within populations of different countries, for example is it justified if all of Portugal feels that a certain policy should be perused but them they are outvoted by 1/2 of Germany.

I support a free trade union NOT a FULL UNION

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    From polling. And concerns aren't just in the uk.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/a...lls-record-low
    There's a large difference between having mistrust and believing we should have an in/out referendum next week and leave

ReputationRep:
    although I don't have such a large knowledge of advnaced economics, and whilst i agree on the euro being a complete failure, something like the eurozone does bring about growth during times of global prosperity. So why should we leave now when times are hard for everyone, regardless of being in or out of the EU when in the future the eurozone could bring about increased growth and therefore prosperity within the UK?
    The EU and euro helped growth at on stage due to free trade and cheap credit for want where 3rd world countries such as Spain and Greece. (in which Greece has been down graded back to a developing economy (3rd world) country). Basically the euro created unsustainable growth.

However free trade is good, which is why as you may have seen there talks of a US and EU free trade agreement. It worth considering this defeats pretty much the main (other that stopping Germany beating the **** out of France) purpose of being in the EU 'club'. Also free trade on this scale will be devastating news for poor nations. (outside the eu that is)

Firstly I'd say I personal think leaving the EU' will be fantastic for Britain. And no we won't lose any trade with the EU as be have a trade deficit with them so they'd agree for free trade because the'd lose out more than us.

Why leave when times are bad, when it could bring growth in the future? you ask

To be blunt because there is know future, however to answer the question seriously.

The world has changed since the EU was formed. Yes the EU is the biggest economy in the world as a union (won't be if the UK leave mind you), but it contracting, for about 9 consecutive quarters!! thats some recession. Indicates the shear structural failure it faces.

But remember that when people say they want to leave the EU, including parties like UKIP, they mean the 'political union' not trading freely or setting standards across europe. 75 percent of law in the uk is made by the eu, the voter had no say - is that right

sorry i cut it short at the end to tried i'll look tomorrow :/

ReputationRep:
    and maybe I'm just being naive, but the idea of a 'unified europe' sounds better for Britain than dissolving into a nation that thinks it's a world power when its far from, we'd be left to kiss the feet of the americans who dislike us just as much as the french

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx_mobile.html

You may need to get out a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    'out of touch'- you disagree with him. I happen to agree with his stance on the EU, thus he is 'in touch'. You see you can't generalise how you feel about the EU with the rest of the UK, polls suggest its fairly evenly split, maybe even higher in the 'stay in' camp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    'out of touch'- you disagree with him. I happen to agree with his stance on the EU, thus he is 'in touch'. You see you can't generalise how you feel about the EU with the rest of the UK, polls suggest its fairly evenly split, maybe even higher in the 'stay in' camp.
    cite?

Times online poll: (IN 40%; OUT 60%) http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/vj/eupoll/

Telegraph online poll: (IN 30%; OUT 70%) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ean-Union.html

Feb 2013: Only one in three wants UK to stay in EU http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cb2057fc-7...44feabdc0.html

Nov 2012: Majority of British public wants to leave EU http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/majority-of-british-public-wants-to-leave-eu-8352904.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    Free trade is a bad thing when you have a trade deficit, the UK has a 5% deficit and rising with the EU. The current form of the EU only exists to serve export powerhouses like Germany. We can get all Cameron wants and more by just leaving the EU. If for some bizarre reason people insist we have a free trade treaty (something which would damage us, learn some economics) then we could get it easily. How? Well Germany is pushing these free trade deals all over the world, somewhere like the UK where there is a big difference between exports and imports they would very much support a free trade agreement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.