Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Stephen and Ben

Equivalency exam people send me three practise exams and the answers so went through the papers and wrote their answers as a way of revising.

I was also panicking about the numeracy skills test which I manages to pass.
    I'm on the schools direct salaried. Start at at School in East London

Best of luck guys! You can def do it, as seems like you've put the work in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Sangria, you've been so encouraging.

Steph... They emailed me the three past papers and I'm so relieved - they're less specific than the initial one they sent me and most of the answers look doable. I know it's late because your exam is tomorrow, but if you want a copy of them and the answers, mail me your address. Mine is [email protected]

Good luck for tomorrow, let me know how you get on. I understand how stressful this is but you know...this time tomorrow you'll be so relieved! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's over!!!!! I passed!!!!!

Today has been hell but it's all over!!!!

Funniest part of it all is that I passed with 91%!!!!! I haven't stopped laughing since they called to tell me!!!

I had no idea if I passed or failed after it.. I certainly did not expect an A! I thought I would just scrap by.. If at all.

Ben, my advise would be- don't leave anything blank! I left questions I wasn't sure of and carried on then went back through and filled in everything with anything I thought could make sense!!

My exam paper was a mess!! I kept changing my mind and scribbling things out! I wrote 4 lines for some 1 mark questions just to make sure I'd covered everything that could possible get me that one mark.

There were definitely questions that I knew I could answer and knew I'd got right, but there were the same amount of ones that I wasn't 100% but if you know anything about the topic in the question just write ALL OF IT down. It seemed to work for me!!!!

I'm still in shock! The people at the centre were so lovely, I'd had a huge problem in the morning... Lost my bank card.. Didn't have enough cash to pay for exam. I borrowed my boyfriends card and it wouldn't work in the cash machine so my sister met me at a station halfway to give me cash! I was so stressed!!!! But I'm thinking now that maybe because I had all of that stress it meant I didn't revise on the way.. And I must know more than I realise!!

if I can do it.. You can too!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephHydePark)
    It's over!!!!! I passed!!!!!

Today has been hell but it's all over!!!!

Funniest part of it all is that I passed with 91%!!!!! I haven't stopped laughing since they called to tell me!!!

I had no idea if I passed or failed after it.. I certainly did not expect an A! I thought I would just scrap by.. If at all.

Ben, my advise would be- don't leave anything blank! I left questions I wasn't sure of and carried on then went back through and filled in everything with anything I thought could make sense!!

My exam paper was a mess!! I kept changing my mind and scribbling things out! I wrote 4 lines for some 1 mark questions just to make sure I'd covered everything that could possible get me that one mark.

There were definitely questions that I knew I could answer and knew I'd got right, but there were the same amount of ones that I wasn't 100% but if you know anything about the topic in the question just write ALL OF IT down. It seemed to work for me!!!!

I'm still in shock! The people at the centre were so lovely, I'd had a huge problem in the morning... Lost my bank card.. Didn't have enough cash to pay for exam. I borrowed my boyfriends card and it wouldn't work in the cash machine so my sister met me at a station halfway to give me cash! I was so stressed!!!! But I'm thinking now that maybe because I had all of that stress it meant I didn't revise on the way.. And I must know more than I realise!!

if I can do it.. You can too!!!!
    I have mine in a few days. Are there any specific questions you recall, or areas to focus on? How many questions were there?

Re: past paper answers.

Some of them were incorrect, of that I'm certain. It's interesting that people have said the actual exam was reasonable because the past papers they sent me were more difficult than the ones AQA, OCR and Edexcel had up.

ReputationRep:
    Steph
    Sooooo pleased for you!!!!!!!! That's exactly how I felt. You were definitely prepared that fantastic result demonstrates that.

Always good to hear great news. We have all been stressed and worried.
    Hopefully can relax a bit for a few weeks before the hard work begins x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks sangria!

Looking back on it, I think it must have been easier than the ones they sent through and ones I found online. In all of those I would stare blankly at a lot of questions and then cry! But in the actual exam I felt I could write something down.. Even if a little unsure.

I'm enjoying not carrying science books and revision cards around everywhere with me now!

Goid luck those of you about to do yours, just revise everything and write Too much down on the day!!!

ReputationRep:
    I passed

I had my exam today. Firstly, the actual test is nothing like the past papers they send out - they are significantly easier, so much so that at one point I had to check the cover page to make sure it read Higher Paper. Unlike the past papers they send, this exam totalled around 30 pages with an average of 2-3 questions per page. As such, at least half of the questions are worth either 1 or 2 points, so they are relatively straight forward.

I was stumped by maybe 3 or 4 questions, but my biggest problem was time. Had I had another half an hour, I'm convinced I would have come close to acing the test.

Rather than having in-depth knowledge of all the topics, I would say you need a basic understanding. Some of the questions required you to explain your reasoning but even if you couldn't do them, and instead focused on the ones that were worth a few marks, you would pass the test I imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!!

ReputationRep:
    Well done !! Anyone reading this. We have all said the same. Write down whatever you can on each question. Anything that you can remember no matter how vague.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ben how did you get on??!?!!!

(Original post by b.fisher)
    Thank you Sangria, you've been so encouraging.

Steph... They emailed me the three past papers and I'm so relieved - they're less specific than the initial one they sent me and most of the answers look doable. I know it's late because your exam is tomorrow, but if you want a copy of them and the answers, mail me your address. Mine is [email protected]

Good luck for tomorrow, let me know how you get on. I understand how stressful this is but you know...this time tomorrow you'll be so relieved! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Sorry for the delay.

passed!!!! 88% which is an A.

Certificate came today funnily enough. I can now relax and prepare for the training ))) X

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic!!!!! Aren't we clever!!!!!

Well done !!!!!!! X

ReputationRep:
    Guys, now that the stress of science is over... What books are you reading over the summer to get ready for September?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephHydePark)
    Guys, now that the stress of science is over... What books are you reading over the summer to get ready for September?
    The University sent me a pre-course information booklet that had a section for literature recommendations. So far, I've got:

• Learning to Teach in the Primary School By: Arthur, James
    • Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers By: Haylock, Derek
    • Primary Science: Knowledge and Understanding By: Peacock, Graham A

You can find books on all subjects. It really depends on which topics you'd like the most insight to in how to teach young children

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Meus, the cost of all these books is adding up!

Subat - I asked the same question and every response I got was different, I think fundamentally it is up to each employer... some might look at QTS and experience and some may look at specific grades at GCSE etc... It's hard to know. I didn't have the option of retaking a GCSE as I needed my result instantly/couldn't wait for the results at the end of August... If you have the time to do it then it could be a good option? Also check with your Uni that they accept the ET, not all of them do.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    hey!

well done to everyone for passing i am hoping i can do the same!!
    iv had only 3 weeks to revise for the exam as i was offered a place through clearing and am soooooo worried!

would everyone say that the actual exam is easier than the 2 papers they send out to you?

i got 69% on paper 2 and 45% on paper 1 when i tried them earlier and am now starting to get super nervous.

thanks!

ben

ReputationRep:
    BeN

they sent three different papers to me. Diff levels. Keep studying you sound like your getting there. I found it SOO much easier than the igcse and the grades I achieved demonstrated this!! Plus the result is given on the same day.

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    yeah iv heard that! do you think id still do the same paper as you lot? i hope so, seeing as you all passed!

my issue is its purely a memory exercise at his point i basically have minimal understanding!

dont suppose you could fwd me the materials?

my email is [Removed - please use PMs or post here directly]

cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by localone)
    yeah iv heard that! do you think id still do the same paper as you lot? i hope so, seeing as you all passed!

my issue is its purely a memory exercise at his point i basically have minimal understanding!

dont suppose you could fwd me the materials?

my email is [Removed - please use PMs or post here directly]

cheers!
    Ben... You're on the right track with those scores. Trust me, the paper on the day is fine! Keep going )

Ben II

ReputationRep:
    cheers!

fingers crossed! iv had a brain break day yesterday and today im going to be doing some light revision.

then... its full steam ahead until the big day! thurs. its so annoying i want this sooooo bad! dont suppose theres anything you think i should focus on?

cheers

ben

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.