Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Words you wish people would stop using Watch

ReputationRep:
    Any Americanism when said by a non-American.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_slasher)
    many words come to mind but when people go all caps and use improper grammar really really annoys me
    "FUK" and "dat" is probably the worst words ever; no one with a brain should consider the use of such words...
    Why not? Perhaps someone with more of a brain than you would claim that these words convey different connotations from those contained within the words these are derived from. Always remember, whenever you make a statement "Nobody with a brain smaller than mine", you necessarily must consider the implicit statement that you cannot judge what those with a brain larger than yours might say.

ReputationRep:
    Literally. I swear some people use it in (literally) every f****** sentence!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesypuff)
    people who say the following:

1.safe
    2.init
    3.summit(something)
    4. period
    5. defo
    6. uni
    Out of interest, why does "uni" irritate you? Lots of people say it simply because "university" is too many syllables to say quickly and makes you sound a bit of a toff if you say it all the time.

ReputationRep:
    not so much words but expressions like

"not on my watch"

"step up to the plate"

ReputationRep:
    'kk', really annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people use the term "frape" tbh, I just don't see the sexual element of hijacking someone's facebook account :erm: other but yeah just words that are really offensive with very negative connotations.

ReputationRep:
    innnnnnitttttttttttttttttttttt doh bruv! u get me fam?!

ReputationRep:
    Everything the human race has ever said and will ever say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennaEmBee)
    'Basically' and 'obviously' at the start of EVERY SINGLE sentence.

The word 'snog' should be eradicated from all of humanity right now.

There are so many awesome old English words that should definitely be reborn, they are so fun to say e.g to be drunk/hungover - to be philogrobolised. Also love the words 'quafftide' and 'wamblecropft'.
    I admit I do this sometimes, it seems to be common among a lot of people in Bristol where I live, I do try my best to keep it to a minimum though.

Another one my sister tends say a lot is starting sentences with 'What it is' which does get quite annoying.

Oh and don't get me started on chillax, that word is infuriating...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People who use the word 'issue' when they mean 'problem' or 'difficulty'.

ReputationRep:
    Ughhh there are so many. I'm not one of those people that goes around correcting people's grammar or speech (although it might annoy me inwardly) as that would be quite obnoxious. So I just simmer inwardly and wait for someone on TSR to post an appropriate thread so I can vent all this frustration.

Agree with the "literally." I LITERALLY am going to kill her...excuse me while I cautiously edge away. I LITERALLY pissed myself laughing....Did ye aye? :eek:

Saying (as opposed to typing in an online conversation, in which it is normally tolerable) "LOL." No joke. Instead of actually laughing (heaven forbid?!), merely uttering "lol," or after relating a funny story, following it up by stating "I lolled." I know several people who do this, and I just want to give them a good smack.

Yolo, but that's a fairly universal pet peeve, I'd reckon.

Affirming something by stating "KK" "mmhmmm" or just "cool."
    e.g. "I'll come round later to check up on you, okay?"
    "Mmhhmmm...cool."
    It just sounds rude, in that context.

ReputationRep:
    Legit

This word infuriates me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Literally
    Literally this!

The words 'banter' and 'lad' annoy me.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want people to stop using the phrases that annoy me, it normally tells me something about the person using it

ReputationRep:
    I've always really detested the word 'guestimate'. Terrible.

ReputationRep:
    'Panties' :yucky: I don't know exactly what it is about it, it just seems like a really creepy way of referring to a woman's knickers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennaEmBee)
    'Basically' and 'obviously' at the start of EVERY SINGLE sentence.

The word 'snog' should be eradicated from all of humanity right now.

There are so many awesome old English words that should definitely be reborn, they are so fun to say e.g to be drunk/hungover - to be philogrobolised. Also love the words 'quafftide' and 'wamblecropft'.
    I agree with you on "snog" it sounds so cringey!

I cant stand the word "minge".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The word "Cringe" grim and rank lol

ReputationRep:
    Yep, snog is a horrible word. :ahhhhh:
    Going along the lines of Miranda... Awkward is a very awkward word
    I ABSOULTELY DETEST the word rank :battle:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.