Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If it helps I know someone who got a first from an ex-poly who is now a Barrister at one of the most prestigious Barristers chambers in the world. At the end of the day you have nothing to lose by applying but just apply to other types of law firm as well. MC or SC firms aren't all their cracked up to be. You're likely to have more experience in your first 3 years PQE at a smaller law firm than at MC/SC firms. You can always move after you qualify!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Snobbery with which university you attended only really exists in the very competitive careers like Law, and careers in the City and Canary Wharf. Snobbery can exist in academia, but only in some cases. For instance, I was reading the profile of a Sunderland graduate with a 2.1 who got onto a PhD at Bath in a pharmacology area. UCL, however, turned me down for a PhD even though I had a BSc from Nottingham and an MSc from Birkbeck. The reason they did this was because they had candidates from Oxbridge and Imperial applying for their PhD courses in the medical sciences, and I just didn't quite get past the fierce competition. I have now decided to start on an MSc at UCL, which will hopefully get me onto a PhD with them second time round.

ReputationRep:
    Some firms will have more of this "snobbery" than others, but things are getting better than they were. Firms are really focusing on social mobility and to do this they need to be more open minded to looking at a wider range of universities where students might choose their local uni over the "best" one they can get into purely due to living costs.

Top tier vs ex-poly is not necessarily about the difference in teaching standards and whether it's easier/more difficult to achieve a 2.1 or a first. It's actually all the other stuff. Top tier universities tend to have better careers service facilities and have academics that are more likely to have worked in the top end of industry (who then encourage/mentor their students to go into these careers). Top tier universities also have more varied and well funded SU clubs/societies meaning more people can build up their extra-curriculars etc.

All these things can help to "up-skill" applicants and make them stand out, probably more so than the name of their institution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Els523)
    If it helps I know someone who got a first from an ex-poly who is now a Barrister at one of the most prestigious Barristers chambers in the world. At the end of the day you have nothing to lose by applying but just apply to other types of law firm as well. MC or SC firms aren't all their cracked up to be. You're likely to have more experience in your first 3 years PQE at a smaller law firm than at MC/SC firms. You can always move after you qualify!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What uni was that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.