Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You ever had a stranger say anything to you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring random pervy comments...

"Nice necklace." (Yay!)
    "Do you want a tissue?" (Not so yay - I was in floods of tears on public transport.)

And the other day I had a long long conversation on the night bus with some guy high off his face and rambling about mermaids and the queen and how he knows Prince Andrew's dope dealer and so on.

I prefer to go about my day to day life without interruption and I normally won't encourage conversation from strangers, but I do try to be polite.

One time an old lady started talking to me in a coffee shop while I was revising for the exam I was taking in an hour. I had to ask her to leave me alone so I could study, when I really wanted to talk to her and keep her company because I know a lot of old people are quite lonely; but I really did need to go over my notes, there was some stuff I hadn't quite memorised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthony.BF)
    You probably look like a dirty hippie who rides around on a fixed-gear bicycle in new cross thinking you own the road, you plonker. That's why people ask if you sell drugs.
    Nope, I drive a Audi 80, have a job in a well respected business and am also in full time education.

ReputationRep:
    I think the worst one I've ever had was a fat woman sat at the bus stop having a go at me for smoking near the bus stop. By near, I was a good 2m outside of the shelter and not stood by the entrance. She moaned about how I was making people inhale second hand smoke and how it was unhealthy and I was subjecting people like her to cancer. C'mon, this woman was a good 20 stone, second hand smoke should have been the least of her worries.

I don't mind having a random talk though, had a lovely one on a train once with a nice old lady, and a great one with a Politics Student on the train home from Uni, where I study Politics, he was from a different Uni though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    god, this thread is so devastatingly british.
    No, it is devastatingly southern or nerd. Those are the two subpopulations that think like this - for everyone else, it is normal and sociable to pass the time by chatting with those around us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam198)
    What I mean is, you're minding your own business or whatever and then some stranger makes a comment for whatever reason.

So I had some woman tell me 'to watch the road or you'll get run over', because I was looking at a dog, lol.

I actually don't appreciate things said to me by strangers even if it is for my own good.

Another example was this man asked me why my bag was so big? I was thinking mind your own f****%%g business. But I didn't say it out loud because he was big. What are these people on.

I'd like to think of myself as normal and I just wouldn't say stuff to random people like this unless I needed directions or something like that.
    I guess you're from the South? Most people in the North in general can have a chat to eachother if and when they need or fancy - I make conversation with people I don't know allll the time..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark85)
    No, it is devastatingly southern or nerd. Those are the two subpopulations that think like this - for everyone else, it is normal and sociable to pass the time by chatting with those around us.
    to be fair i haven't ventured up north much.

ReputationRep:
    A man once stopped me and asked if my hair was real ( wdf) i said no and then he went on about how girls these days have extensions/weave...it was kind of scary

ReputationRep:
    Some creepy guy said this after I ignored him, "Smile, love. What's the worst that could happen?" That really put me in a great mood. :rolleyes: My natural face just isn't a smiley one.

ReputationRep:
    This old lady at the bus stop started telling me how to make chilli jam...

And this old man at the bus stop said to me, "I've never had a Welsh girlfriend... You can be my first!" (He heard my accent as I was on the phone).

ReputationRep:
    I was walking through a park in London and some old guy grabbed my shoulders and told me how Tommy Cooper had stolen his jokes and I shouldn't get married til I'm 37. Aside from the invasion of personal space, he was actually pretty funny and we had a nice chat haha
    I don't know whether its just because I'm from the north but I'm always astounded by the amount of young people who are deeply annoyed or "creeped out" when strangers talk to them. You're not famous, some people are just chatty

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's this bloke who I think must have some kind of mental condition who hangs around outside my college. He followed my friend and I one day and started going 'You lads going to the comedy festival then??'. He went on and on about it, telling us all about how they were showing a Jonny English film and had some top comedians coming to perform. He followed us all the way up the road until we managed to shake him off, rabbitting on the whole time about this bloody comedy festival.

Like this, but imagine that Pete is utterly mental, looks like he shouldn't be out on his own and will not take any kind of hint that you want him to go away. At the time he reminded me slightly of Gollum...very similar posture and style of speech.

ReputationRep:
    British is a pretty general term. In my town in Scotland I say hi to most strangers when I walk past and quite often have conversations with randomers. Maybe its a town thing but its completely normal to everyone here. Even in Glasgow you quite often get into loads of conversations with strangers. What I always get is people assuming my baby brother is my son xD I don't mind that much but my mum hates it because she's quite often there as well!

ReputationRep:
    No wonder Britain is miserable, people moaning about a stranger talking to them ITT. Get over yourselves FFS.

ReputationRep:
    I have quite long hair, which seems to encourage old ladies sitting in my hair dresser's to play with it and tell me stories of when they used to have hair like mine, many years ago.

Mind you, I live in quite a friendly area where the elderly like to talk to you (especially when you have a dog with you), so I'm quite used to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

One stranger decided to judge me at some nightclub and had the audacity of calling me gay. This happened when I was waiting for someone to come out the toilet, I didn't want to use those public toilet cubicles much prefered to use the one with a door and lock.

Stood there waiting and some guy comes up to me are you gay? "You are aren't ya" just because I waiting for someone to come out the toilet. LOL.

Awks

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty fun to spark up random conversations with random people, unless it's vulgar or bullying. That's what makes us human, isn't it? Communication ftw!

ReputationRep:
    normally walk to the bus stop with my sister and once I was late a bit so she left first, and some lady we usually pass because she's going opposite direction made some snarky comment to me like "oh had an argument with your sister?" who are you hoe.

ReputationRep:
    LOL the comments are hilarious, but yeah I feel your pain, I guess it's a southern thing. When I went to America I felt so uncomfortable. The people were so nosey, as soon as I walked into a shop, I got hounded by workers asking me how I am, what I'm doing etc. It freaked me out. When I went to walmart people were smiling because they heard my accent and one person came up to me asking 'what it was like on the other side of the pond?'. In the UK the problem isn't as apparent. I don't mind talking to the elderly, it's nice being polite to them, but I hate it when pervy old men look at me or talk to me asking for my name, giving me compliments...it's just nasty!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I love it when strangers talk to me... It makes me feel cheerful

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    yes, i'm afraid it is british. you leave the UK and the difference is crazy. in many places it's completely normal to just say "hello" to strangers at minimum. having a conversation is commonplace.

what i find strange is the reactions that people are demonstrating here to people just TALKING. why do you have to consider the motives of someone just trying to chat with you? why does their trustworthiness have to be measured? of course anyone who has fallen victim to a lecherous man making slimy comments would agree that is horrible... but just normal day to day chit chat? why not?
    I don't think so. I went to America last year and I was trying on some sunglasses in The Sunglass Hut and some random woman commented on the sunglasses that I tried on. I didn't know what she said, so I just laughed. It happens anywhere you go in a mainstream place, not just in Britain That's very discriminatory towards us British folks.

Personally I disagree. Of course you're going to be weary of why someone is going to randomly come up to you and speak to you especially if it's for some random reason, i.e. not going 'you look beautiful, can I have your number?'

Well that's a bit paradoxical. Simply because they ARE strangers, therefore you do not trust them because you don't know them. This is a completely natural thing. You are obviously not going to be friendly to someone who stops you in the middle of the street. It's common sense to be cautious nowadays.

Why? Because it does not normally happen to everyday people. So when it does, you naturally don't want it to happen because the awkwardness of it makes it uncomfortable for you. No one likes to feel uncomfortable, therefore we tend to shy away from stopping someone randomly in the street to have a nice 'chit chat'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.