Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Apparently, some people who can't give blood can give platelets.
    Really? I hadn't looked into that but will definitely look into it now!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and I've donated blood twice so far. I feel a real sense of pride through doing it and I would recommend it to anyone who can qualify to donate.

I hope to donate at least twice a year for the rest of my life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjm91)
    "Previously, men who had ever had oral or anal sex with another man, even if a condom was used, were permanently excluded from blood donation in the UK. The change means that only men who have had anal or oral sex with another man in the past 12 months, with or without a condom, are asked not to donate blood. Men whose last sexual contact with another man was more than 12 months ago are eligible to donate, subject to meeting the other donor selection criteria."

Shocking isn't it?!

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/exclusion/
    Makes perfect sense really. HIV prevalence is a LOT higher in MSM populations and tests to pick it up in blood donation's aren't perfect early in infection. Thus it makes sense not to take blood donations from those who've recently been sexually active with another man. If blood stocks were so low that we were running out it would be worth looking at relaxing this further, but while NHSBT still has enough blood it makes sense to keep the restriction. It's not a matter of discrimination, but one of safety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    Makes perfect sense really. HIV prevalence is a LOT higher in MSM populations and tests to pick it up in blood donation's aren't perfect early in infection. Thus it makes sense not to take blood donations from those who've recently been sexually active with another man. If blood stocks were so low that we were running out it would be worth looking at relaxing this further, but while NHSBT still has enough blood it makes sense to keep the restriction. It's not a matter of discrimination, but one of safety.
    Heterosexual donors who practice unsafe and promiscuous sex are welcome. A gay man who has safe sex in a monogamous relationship (or hasn't had sex for 11 months) and has tested negative for HIV is not a suitable candidate for blood donation. No logic in that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awilson008)
    I'm 18 and I've donated blood twice so far. I feel a real sense of pride through doing it and I would recommend it to anyone who can qualify to donate.

I hope to donate at least twice a year for the rest of my life!
    Good for you!

How did you physicaly feel after? Dizzy or anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    HIV prevalence is a lot higher in MSM populations, but it's still a nonsensical exclusion as rjm91 pointed out. And lots of MSM don't even have anal sex which is where the real risk comes in; men who have oral sex with other men are at very low risk of HIV infection.

There are some sex acts that are very risky (eg unprotected anal sex with near-strangers - that's about as risky as it gets) and it's sensible for people who participate in them to be excluded, but it's the *act* that's dangerous not the orientation. Being a man who has sex with other men doesn't necessarily put you at higher risk of infection; being a man who has anal sex with other men might, but that's not the exclusion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to. My mum literally died during her caesarean with my sister and only survived due to blood transfusions. She and my sister have a rare blood type raegus negative or something? so she had to have injections all through pregnancy, I don't know my blood type. I was going to donate in march and the only reason I didn't want because I've had piercings in the last few months so you're not allowed to donate until a few months later. I'm not so sure about organ donation as I don't like to think about death right now, I'm sure I'll probably sign up in a few years time, but for now by donating blood at least I'm still helping to save lives in some way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildbluesun)
    HIV prevalence is a lot higher in MSM populations, but it's still a nonsensical exclusion as rjm91 pointed out. And lots of MSM don't even have anal sex which is where the real risk comes in; men who have oral sex with other men are at very low risk of HIV infection.

There are some sex acts that are very risky (eg unprotected anal sex with near-strangers - that's about as risky as it gets) and it's sensible for people who participate in them to be excluded, but it's the *act* that's dangerous not the orientation. Being a man who has sex with other men doesn't necessarily put you at higher risk of infection; being a man who has anal sex with other men might, but that's not the exclusion.
    Maybe they should remove the oral sex from the question, but fact remains that what you're proposing is either excluding an easily distinguished demographic on the grounds that that demographic has high prevalence of undiagnosed HIV OR presenting a very exhaustive list of sexual acts on the form with the job of distinguishing between those who've had protected sex, had unprotected sex, did it in a monogamous relationship (are you sure your partner's monogamous sir?), have had many sexual partners etc etc. in order to essentially exclude most of that same demographic. And all this to please a few people who want the right to bleed into a bag a few times a year, unnecessarily considering the current adequate blood supplies.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest here, I don't trust the needles When I was a kid there were a lot of heroin addicts around and consequently a lot of needles lying about and I guess my parents must have scared me so bad that I just don't want one inside me. Or I guess unless I am ill and need it. Plus there have been stories of contaminated needles.

I guess that is why those 1 time only needles were invented, but I don't know. Thought about it, can't do it.

ReputationRep:
    do you've to be in a good shape physically in order to give blood?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    do you've to be in a good shape physically in order to give blood?
    no not at all, can smoke and drink as much as you want! aslong as you don't inject heroin or something stupid like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spocckka)
    It's all about the free biscuits
    Are they chocolate biscuits?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Are they chocolate biscuits?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    more than just chocolate biscuits.. they had orange clubs yesterday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjm91)
    Good for you!

How did you physicaly feel after? Dizzy or anything?
    Hey!

Personally, I felt completely fine after. No dizziness whatsoever.

However I do know plenty of people who did feel faint/dizzy.

I think that if you get a good rest the night before, eat plenty before the donation, try not to worry about the 'needles' too much and eat plenty after the donation, you'll feel grand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samwah)
    more than just chocolate biscuits.. they had orange clubs yesterday
    omg def giving blood when I turn 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've thought about it even though I hate needles because of the shortage of blood, but at 45kg I'm under the weight limit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSheep32)
    I've thought about it even though I hate needles because of the shortage of blood, but at 45kg I'm under the weight limit
    get to the takeaway, scoff your face and get to give blood. win win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spiruel)
    I'm a chimera. Am I able to give blood?
    Re: my previous question, I cant find any information on the internet to help me! Does anybody know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spiruel)
    Re: my previous question, I cant find any information on the internet to help me! Does anybody know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I doubt many people here will know, so if you can't find it on google we probably can't either!

You can phone NHS blood and transplant free on 03001232323. They'll know the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samwah)
    get to the takeaway, scoff your face and get to give blood. win win
    Even when I was heavier (before I went to uni, I somehow managed to lose quite a bit of weight unintentionally at uni and haven't regained it) I don't think I was above the weight limit! Maybe when I'm older and my metabolism gets a lot slower...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.