Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it wrong that patients can refuse to be treated by a certain gender? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No its not, it is a matter of personal preference. Its not like saying "I want male doctors as they are better than females". My mum always goes to a female doctor as she is not comfortable with a male doctor. Personally i would prefer a female doctor if i had a problem with my penis as i would just not feel comfortable with a man touching my penis. I am not homophobic but i just dont like it.

ReputationRep:
    I had a smear test a fortnight ago, and if I'd walked in and seen a man, I'd have left.

ReputationRep:
    Can't be a serious question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Is it somewhat immoral that patients can refuse to be treated by a specific gender? The obvious example is gynaecology or obstetrics where male doctors would be less welcomed, is this wrong? And what about if this then became more common in other areas of health care?

Should we support patient choice? Or is there a line where discrimination kicks in?
    i wouldnt want to explain my problems to a woman doctor, women dont understand anything and they will not understand my boy things

ReputationRep:
    If I had a male patient who didn't want me (a woman) doing a prostate exam, I'd rather he just said this and got one from a male doctor, than didn't get an examination at all, and we missed something important in his diagnosis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    equality says otherwise, what if a white woman refused to be treated by a black doctor because she found that "uncomfortable"? would that be okay?
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Can't be a serious question.
    I'm not a patient anxious about offending a hospital here, just pointing out how much priority patient care deserves, I mean, Tesco are geared towards customer care, but if I went to the till and refused to be served by a woman, what would my response be?

ReputationRep:
    It's personal preference. Some men / women may just prefer being seen by someone of the same gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    No its not, it is a matter of personal preference. Its not like saying "I want male doctors as they are better than females". My mum always goes to a female doctor as she is not comfortable with a male doctor. Personally i would prefer a female doctor if i had a problem with my penis as i would just not feel comfortable with a man touching my penis. I am not homophobic but i just dont like it.
    Even though men would have more experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    Depends.

Some people will be distressed, particularly with more intimate procedures, to have a person of one gender or another treating them. That's fair enough. You don't want to cause unnecessary distress to patient, so if possible that should be accommodated.

I don't think it's at all reasonable if somebody says to their GP, for example, "you can't treat my runny nose, because you're a woman and doctors are supposed to be men". That's not distress, that being an ass.
    I'm asking here because it's a common mock OSCE (for applying for med school) to get something such as, a breast exam, and the point is they refuse if you're a man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_x)
    On a slightly related topic, can Muslim doctors refuse to treat patients of the opposite sex?
    no

there are only 2 reasons why a health professional can refuse to treat someone

1. personal risk i.e. if a patient is violent or has made threats against someone / group

2. the actual act of causing a terminaton of pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    Dont really mind, although any problems down below I would prefer a female doctor, no man is touching my tool.

ReputationRep:
    Even though men would have more experience?
    I know they would lol, but its a matter of personal preference. I just would not feel right. Obv there is nothing sexual, but still. Its a classic example to the OP's question. Its not wrong because it would would not feel right :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a patient anxious about offending a hospital here, just pointing out how much priority patient care deserves, I mean, Tesco are geared towards customer care, but if I went to the till and refused to be served by a woman, what would my response be?
    I would say being served on the till is a lot less personal than being intimately examined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    My instinct is to say that's down to "being an ass", but maybe that's just because I can't imagine it being down to something other than prejudice.

We have gender segregation, prohibitions against nudity (particularly in front of the opposite gender), and things like that conditioned into us from early childhood, so people feel uncomfortable when they violate that conditioning, even for medical reasons. Not to mention there is a pseudo-sexual element to some things. But this kind of discomfort is because the patient has to do something which is against their normal behaviour pattern, it's not directly to do with the gender of the doctor.

We don't have similar conditioning about race. The patient isn't departing more or less from normal standards of behaviour depending on whether their doctor is black or white. So it's much less reasonable.

That said, if possible indulge them. Like it or not, it's easier that way, and you never know maybe they will be genuinely distressed if you don't.
    Diane Abbott, Hackney MP once said:

I am surprised that they choose to bring in blonde, blue-eyed girls from Finland, instead of nurses from the Caribbean who know the language and understand British culture and institutions.
    And are Finnish girls, who may never have met a black person before, let alone touched one, best suited to nursing in multi-cultural Hackney?

It seems very reasonable to suppose that many people would be uncomfortable at being treated by a doctor or nurse of another race or ethnicity.
    How about the doctors or nurses in this position, is there an unbreakable code of ethics in the job which cannot be trumped by prejudice or matters of religious conscience?

I would hate to see equality legislation applied inconsistently if we are going to have it at all. That's just absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    Diane Abbott, Hackney MP once said:

I am surprised that they choose to bring in blonde, blue-eyed girls from Finland, instead of nurses from the Caribbean who know the language and understand British culture and institutions.
    And are Finnish girls, who may never have met a black person before, let alone touched one, best suited to nursing in multi-cultural Hackney?

It seems very reasonable to suppose that many people would be uncomfortable at being treated by a doctor or nurse of another race or ethnicity.
    How about the doctors or nurses in this position, is there an unbreakable code of ethics in the job which cannot be trumped by prejudice or matters of religious conscience?

I would hate to see equality legislation applied inconsistently if we are going to have it at all. That's just absurd.
    Like I said, it doesn't seem reasonable to me but maybe that's because it's incomprehensible to me.

Medical professionals should respect the wishes of their patients, even if those wishes seem unreasonable.

ReputationRep:
    I'd much prefer a woman poking around my vagina than a man. It's all about feeling comfortable. Not about making one gender feel inferior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_x)
    On a slightly related topic, can Muslim doctors refuse to treat patients of the opposite sex?
    great question, would love to know the answer. Start a thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_x)
    as far as I know, know they can't. when you sign up for med school, I heard you have to sign something and one of the things says you will work with both male and female patients. the only time you dont have to is if the patient says they dont want to be seen by you, but in the society its very unlikely the majority will say no to a doctor of the opposite sex. In Asia/Middle east however i believe females stick to female doctors and vice versa unless its life and death.
    if you only have the intention with working with the same gender patients as you, then going into mediicne would be abit stupid, as you would be very limited in the UK and as a doctor, with 50% of the population being the opposite gender, you kind of need to be able to cope/deal with both and it would cause alot of problems when arranging appointments etc
    as a female muslim, I don't mind seeing male or female doctors if its general, however when/if I ever have to see a doctor regarding gynae, obstetrics or involves taking clothes off, I'd make an appointment with a female doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xsnackpack)
    great question, would love to know the answer. Start a thread!
    see above

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.