Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Cheating on Your Partner Wrong? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    Is buying stolen goods from a market as bad as stealing them?

Obviously not.

Is sleeping with an adulterer as bad as cheating?

Again, no.

You have not entered into and reneged on a commitment - they have. You are not to blame. They are, entirely.
    It takes two. If you know, you're just as bad.

ReputationRep:
    ..yes
    If they cheated on me they wouldnt be touching me again.
    I've seen too many people be cheated on and its not something debatable, its wrong.

ReputationRep:
    What have I just read?! :gasp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool_JordH)
    Just a general discussion: I have been with guys (I am a guy) who have been married to both men and women who have been in a relationship and also married. And tbh, there's something about married men that I like, so what? sue me.

I don't think it's wrong (on my part) because I am not breaking the relationship, the cheater is since he has slept with other men too.

I have always been faithful in a relationship btw. And don't spin the moral wheel saying "how would you feel if you got cheated on?" etc. All the men I have been with, their partners don't know and you know what they say: what you don't know, won't hurt you.

I want to know whether you have been with someone who has been in a relationship and they have cheated on their partner with you and how this made you feel. (Regardless if your heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual).

What's your general opinion on cheating? #NoRegrets
    It's their decision to cheat on their partner, not yours. If your having sex with a married man then its their fault for cheating, not yours. Of course, most people have strong moral beliefs that say you shouldn't have sex with someone you know is married because their partner would be devastated! But if you don't have that problem then I suppose, its the fault of the person you're having sex with. I however, wouldn't do that because I would blame myself for their marriage breaking up.

ReputationRep:
    I think 'affairs' are where you draw the line. One night stands aren't brilliant on the trust front, but who cares, if you're under 25 you probably shouldn't give a **** IMO

ReputationRep:
    Of course cheating on your partner is wrong!
    What is the point of having such a close relationship with someone if you're taking advantage of their trust??

They also do deserve to know that their trust is being wasted on the wrong person and have the choice of not being in such an open relationship.

Also, for the person who they cheated with, surely they'd feel guilty knowing that they had a partner! If you don't then you're just as bad as the cheater! If you wouldn't want it happening to you, then don't do it to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    CHEATING IS WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRONNNNGGGGG G! What a pointless question, stop trying to seek loopholes, it's always wrong,

Just break up with them and be done with.

Don't mess with people.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by MoTown200)
    CHEATING IS WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRONNNNGGGGG G! What a pointless question, stop trying to seek loopholes, it's always wrong,

Just break up with them and be done with.

Don't mess with people.
    Im not even in a relationship. And it's not a 'pointless' question. If you were abused or in a violent relationship, would you not go to a guy who's the complete opposite??

Is it wrong then?

ReputationRep:
    Im not even in a relationship. And it's not a 'pointless' question. If you were abused or in a violent relationship, would you not go to a guy who's the complete opposite??

Is it wrong then?
    The question was Is cheating on your partner wrong? Your partner means you're in a relationship doesn't it?

If you're in a violent relationship, and you're cheating on that violent partner, aren't you playing with fire? Just leave the relationship before you start your new relationship, why stick with it if you're so unhappy?
    I don't get why this question is being asked ?

If you want somebody else, leave your existing partner, simple as that. Pointless scrambling around to find some justification or excuse to maintain a relationship and cheat at the same time, unless you're not stating all your motives.

ReputationRep:
    I think so. feel like I'd be betraying my bf. Think it's a hurtful thing to do if you're in an exclusive (traditional) relationship

ReputationRep:
    It's bad if the girl finds out, they tend to get a bit 'emotional'.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's wrong. You know that too or you wouldn't need to ask.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's wrong. A man can't expected to be with just one woman. That's why most men get married and have kids. So the wife can stay at home raising the kids whilst the man sleeps around. This happen a lot more than people think. Believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cartman)
    I don't think it's wrong. A man can't expected to be with just one woman. That's why most men get married and have kids. So the wife can stay at home raising the kids whilst the man sleeps around. This happen a lot more than people think. Believe me.
    The number of women and men married who cheat is about 50:50 actually

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    YES! I don't care of the situation, I think it's heartbreaking to do such a thing. I would never, ever cheat as I love and respect my girlfriend loads and know that I would feel very depressed and shameful for a very long time and of course she would be extremely upset about it too. Definitely not worth it. I think everyone deserves to know that if something isn't going right in a relationship then they should talk it over before acting or even thinking of kissing another person or sleeping with another person etc depending on what is mutually agreed on what the boundaries are.

ReputationRep:
    Just a general discussion: I have been with guys (I am a guy) who have been married to both men and women who have been in a relationship and also married. And tbh, there's something about married men that I like, so what? sue me.

I don't think it's wrong (on my part) because I am not breaking the relationship, the cheater is since he has slept with other men too.

I have always been faithful in a relationship btw. And don't spin the moral wheel saying "how would you feel if you got cheated on?" etc. All the men I have been with, their partners don't know and you know what they say: what you don't know, won't hurt you.

I want to know whether you have been with someone who has been in a relationship and they have cheated on their partner with you and how this made you feel. (Regardless if your heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual).

What's your general opinion on cheating? #NoRegrets
    I would say it's more the person in the relationship's fault than yours if you do it, but still, what if the other person in that relationship was your friend? If you wouldn't do it on the basis that it would hurt your friend then to be okay with it because it's actually just a stranger is ****ty.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a lot of absolutism and denial of human nature in the 'totally wrong' position. In less established relationships where little commitment has been made cheating is very questionable and of course can be hurtful - but I would stop short of WRONG, in the scheme of things that are wrong in the world.

In more committed relationships - cohabitation, partnerships, children - I think cheating can be wrong. But even here it might depend on circumstances. And I do support the position made before that the 'blame' lies predominantly on the shoulders of the person in a relationship who cheats.

ReputationRep:
    It's breaking someone's trust and it could shatter their confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Cheating on your partner is wrong.

But the question of how much blame lies on the "third person" is interesting.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.