Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How transphobic is the UK? Are you transphobic...? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin6767)
    Why is every time someone now disagrees with someone on something it is an ism or a phobia?
    We need words to describe everything. you don't agree?

If your personal sexuality forms the linchpin of who you are, your self- worth and a central tenant of your personality then you have bigger problems to consider
    Trans sexuality often is a big deal. Changing your appearance, going on hormone therapy, changing your name, potentially getting surgery, letting everyone know you wish to be referred to as the opposite gender... It's hardly a small deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    why do we have to agree with what every delusional maniac says they are these days or get accused of some phobia or another?
    Are you talking about yourself there? I mean in other threads, you are very keen to say how people are "anti White" And your comments also show that you don't understand what a phobia is. A phobia is not JUST a fear. It can be prejudice as someone pointed out, and it could be something medical ie:

I have photophobia

I have no fear of photos
    I have no prejudice against photos
    I have no fear of the sun (The photo here quite literally means light)
    I have no prejudice against the sun (Though this would be kinda weird)

BUT my eyes are sensitive to the sun, where I have to wear sun glasses(and when it snows anoyingly). But of course, please continue to believe that a phobia means that you have a fear of something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Are you talking about yourself there? I mean in other threads, you are very keen to say how people are "anti White" And your comments also show that you don't understand what a phobia is. A phobia is not JUST a fear. It can be prejudice as someone pointed out, and it could be something medical ie:

I have photophobia

I have no fear of photos
    I have no prejudice against photos
    I have no fear of the sun (The photo here quite literally means light)
    I have no prejudice against the sun (Though this would be kinda weird)

BUT my eyes are sensitive to the sun, where I have to wear sun glasses(and when it snows anoyingly). But of course, please continue to believe that a phobia means that you have a fear of something
    you miss my points every single time, often spectacularly. i refer, of course, to the "-phobia", "-ism", "-gyny" and "-ot" catch-all lash-outs used by leftists to lazily describe everyone who disagrees with their fully formed immutable opinions as to what is and isn't acceptable in society and what should and shouldn't be available for criticism or ridicule. i don't give a stuff about the literal meaning of "phobia" though you are quite right i have no fear of any of these people, just a general dislike to being told what i am allowed to think or say without upsetting professional takers of offence. that a lot of this garbage is enshrined in law is the particular gripe i have with political correctness (thought crime).

suppose for instance one could not criticise one's governing classes without being called "politicianist" and banged in jail for revolutionary thinking, you'd soon start to wonder whether your civil liberties had been eroded at that point.

ReputationRep:
    y"-phobia", "-ism", "-gyny" and "-ot" catch-all lash-outs used by leftists to lazily describe everyone who disagrees with their fully formed immutable opinions as to what is and isn't acceptable in society and what should and shouldn't be available for criticism or ridicule.
    That is why you have to learn to forget about them thesabbath, they are both lazy and serve no purpose except to attempt to demean and/or ridicule - some of the nonsense words are no better than childish playground name calling.

ReputationRep:
    you miss my points every single time, often spectacularly. i refer, of course, to the "-phobia", "-ism", "-gyny" and "-ot" catch-all lash-outs used by leftists to lazily describe everyone who disagrees with their fully formed immutable opinions as to what is and isn't acceptable in society and what should and shouldn't be available for criticism or ridicule. i don't give a stuff about the literal meaning of "phobia" though you are quite right i have no fear of any of these people, just a general dislike to being told what i am allowed to think or say without upsetting professional takers of offence. that a lot of this garbage is enshrined in law is the particular gripe i have with political correctness (thought crime).

suppose for instance one could not criticise one's governing classes without being called "politicianist" and banged in jail for revolutionary thinking, you'd soon start to wonder whether your civil liberties had been eroded at that point.
    Nobody is telling you what to think. You're free to hold, and express (with certain provisos about manner and place), whatever opinions you wish. If you don't believe me, you're also free to make yourself a tin foil hat.

However, the rest of us are free to dismiss your opinions as garbage and label them with whatever prejudice you happen to be displaying. Your rights to freedom of thought, conscience and expression do not protect you from criticism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I'm transphobic, I've educated myself but that hasn't done much to change how I feel emotionally. I don't feel comfortable around trans* people, if I was in a position of power I probably wouldn't even hire a openly trans* person because they make me uncomfortable and I (and pretty much everyone) like to work in a comfortable environment. I wouldn't disrespect them though, I would be polite but I'd try to distance myself from them as quickly as possible akin to the way I'd be treated in a small racially homogeneous town as a black man.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I am transphobic but I'm still not used to seeing transexual men and women around, so when I do see it, it's like "Whoaaa... uh hello!" but I wouldn't treat them any differently. I'm actually curious about why they choose to transition etc

ReputationRep:

Yes you do need words for things but you don't have to stigmatise people and warp the meaning of other words in the process. A phobia is an irrational fear, a mental illness. If people do not have an opinion of trans people, disagree with the way they lead their lives or just plainly don't care it doesn't mean they have an irrational fear of them. It just means that they don't care and why should other people care about something so personal?

It may well be a big deal but again you can't force people to care. Their lack of caring, interest or disapproval does not make them a vile, wrong or a mentally ill person. It just means that it is a personal issue so why should other people care? You don't have to have a opinion about everything. If you have an opinion on trans people and someone disagrees you may wish to defend your view point but you don't have too. You can't force someone to argue with you. Most people are more involved with their own lives to care about having an opinion on every area of someone else's. If you find you have a greater involvement in how other people live than yourself you might want to reassess your priorities.
    The root meaning of phobia is "an irrational fear or aversion", which sums up many prejudices as well as psychological and even some physiological conditions. Nobody is arguing that apathy constitutes prejudice, although ignorance can breed it.

ReputationRep:

Yes you do need words for things but you don't have to stigmatise people and warp the meaning of other words in the process. A phobia is an irrational fear, a mental illness. If people do not have an opinion of trans people, disagree with the way they lead their lives or just plainly don't care it doesn't mean they have an irrational fear of them. It just means that they don't care and why should other people care about something so personal?

It may well be a big deal but again you can't force people to care. Their lack of caring, interest or disapproval does not make them a vile, wrong or a mentally ill person. It just means that it is a personal issue so why should other people care? You don't have to have a opinion about everything. If you have an opinion on trans people and someone disagrees you may wish to defend your view point but you don't have too. You can't force someone to argue with you. Most people are more involved with their own lives to care about having an opinion on every area of someone else's. If you find you have a greater involvement in how other people live than yourself you might want to reassess your priorities.
    Didn't say anything about not having an opinion. You're transphobic if you view trans* people negatively or would actively discriminate against them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Idc if someone is a trans or not. But let's be clear that their treatment should not be available on the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    Nobody is telling you what to think. You're free to hold, and express (with certain provisos about manner and place), whatever opinions you wish. If you don't believe me, you're also free to make yourself a tin foil hat.

However, the rest of us are free to dismiss your opinions as garbage and label them with whatever prejudice you happen to be displaying. Your rights to freedom of thought, conscience and expression do not protect you from criticism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Since when do you give two ****s about freedom of expression?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Since when do you give two ****s about freedom of expression?
    Some time in the mid-1990s.

Now do you have an issue with anything I actually said, or am I just the current object of your trollish attentions?

ReputationRep:
    Some time in the mid-1990s.

Now do you have an issue with anything I actually said, or am I just the current object of your trollish attentions?
    Really? Because you seem to want to be advocating laws against people saying certain things in various threads and have done so for quite a while.......

Yes, I have an issue with you trying to reduce anything I respond to you as 'trollish attentions' - only suggests you're not prepared to critically engage, though I can see why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Really? Because you seem to want to be advocating laws against people saying certain things in various threads and have done so for quite a while.......

Yes, I have an issue with you trying to reduce anything I respond to you as 'trollish attentions' - only suggests you're not prepared to critically engage, though I can see why.
    There is a case for some restrictions on speech, as there is for restrictions on practically everything, where it can be shown to be harmful. I mentioned provisos regarding manner and place. Please feel free to show me where I have endorsed a general prohibition on any speech.

Well you haven't responded to what I've said as much as to my presence. Say something meaningful and relevant, you might get that critical engagement you're so desperate for. Randomly void your spleen in my direction and I'll be dismissive.

ReputationRep:
    There is a case for some restrictions on speech, as there is for restrictions on practically everything, where it can be shown to be harmful.
    So you admit then that you don't care about free speech and there should be a restriction on what people say?

I mentioned provisos regarding manner and place. Please feel free to show me where I have endorsed a general prohibition on any speech.
    Well aside from the above, you're most recent attempt to ban 5 year olds from saying the word 'gay', as well as previous past clashes we've had in which you've consistently asserted that speech should be restricted when pertaining to other homosexual categories, even, as I recall, the word 'gay' being used as a word to identify a person.

Well you haven't responded to what I've said as much as to my presence. Say something meaningful and relevant, you might get that critical engagement you're so desperate for. Randomly void your spleen in my direction and I'll be dismissive.
    I'm making sure that you know I don't agree with nor like you. Of course, past incidents have all pointed to a success in my direction so merely engaging your weak substantiations would be a waste unless you provided something worth while to argue about. Therefore, I am waiting for you to provide some decent argument opposed to replying with everything I give as 'troll' material.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    So you admit then that you don't care about free speech and there should be a restriction on what people say?
    Believing that there should be restriction on freedom of speech doesn't mean that you don't care about freedom of speech. To give you an example, the vast majority of us support freedom of movement yet this right is restricted for criminals and some suspects. Unlimited freedom of speech would include allowing people to make bomb threats or alarm or harass to the point of psychological torture. Words have power just like hands thus need to be restricted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Believing that there should be restriction on freedom of speech doesn't mean that you don't care about freedom of speech. To give you an example, the vast majority of us support freedom of movement yet this right is restricted for criminals and some suspects. Unlimited freedom of speech would include allowing people to make bomb threats or alarm or harass to the point of psychological torture. Words have power just like hands thus need to be restricted.
    There's a difference between freedom of speech and directly threatening someone, that's fairly clear. Don't conflate the two as meaning the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eljamaispa)
    Inspired to make this following a thread made by a girl who has found herself attracted to a trans-boy (that is, someone who was born with female bits but identifies as a guy/has had hormone and surgery therapy to physically be a guy).

I understand many non-trans people find the concept of wanting to change your gender bizarre. I used to. I've since met trans people at uni. I don't think anything of it now. I'll call them by the pronoun they want and I won't make a big deal about the fact they're trans. Maybe with more trans people being open about themselves ignorance and prejudice against trans people will fade more and more just as homophobia is...

I think it's also important people realise that a transsexual is not automatically a dolled-up man/drag queen/shemale. There are many trans people you could not possibly tell are trans.

Anyway. What do you think about transexuality? How transphobic, if at all, do you think the UK is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there, I was just wondering, how do you pronounce your username? It looks amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I think the UK is very transphobic. Many people are just ignorant of what it actually is and how it affects people. It's unfortunate, because trans people (especially openly trans people) can face a lot of prejudice as a result and it's probably one of the reasons for the high suicide rate in trans people.

I'm not transphobic. I don't really care. It wouldn't stop me from being friends with/hiring/being in a relationship with/etc etc them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)

Well aside from the above, you're most recent attempt to ban 5 year olds from saying the word 'gay', as well as previous past clashes we've had in which you've consistently asserted that speech should be restricted when pertaining to other homosexual categories, even, as I recall, the word 'gay' being used as a word to identify a person.
    I care very deeply about free speech. I don't believe that saying "you cannot say that in this way, in this time and place" is an undue restriction on it, especially not when there is a reason for saying so. There are many rights, and obligations, which sometimes come into conflict and a balance must be struck.

I have made no attempt to "ban 5 year olds from saying the word gay". I am very critical of the use of the word as a pejorative, and I have been arguing that teachers should be challenging that usage.

I have consistently asserted that speech can be restricted where it is harmful - and that simple offensiveness is not harm. I do tend to draw examples from the question of homophobic hate speech and it's effects, because it's an area with which I am particularly familiar.

I doubt very much I would have argued against using the word "gay" to refer to a person, since I use it to refer to myself.

(Original post by Kiss)
    I'm making sure that you know I don't agree with nor like you. Of course, past incidents have all pointed to a success in my direction so merely engaging your weak substantiations would be a waste unless you provided something worth while to argue about. Therefore, I am waiting for you to provide some decent argument opposed to replying with everything I give as 'troll' material.
    Believe me the feeling is mutual. Given your habit of responding to what you imagine I said rather than what I actually said, I wouldn't call your arguments a success in engaging with me. Half the time I find myself agreeing with you, because you're not actually arguing against anything I say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.