Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

5 year old upsets homosexuals, thought police called in Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Watch that episode of South Park about bikers.

The word "gay" existed before it meant homosexual, this is just a evolution of it though it may have begun as a homophobic slur.

I know gay guys who call things gay and if anything laugh if someone calls it.

I have a bi friend who calls things gay all the time.
    It doesn't make it any more okay to refer to things as 'gay' in a negative way just because you're gay yourself or bisexual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quite ridiculous on the school's behalf, but what I'm more surprised about is that a Catholic school called Stonewall.

ReputationRep:
    If a 5 year old knows their sexual orientation, then something's wrong with them. The word 'gay' has several meanings, and the one intended by 5 year olds is not the one synonymous with homosexual.

ReputationRep:
    this is retarded as hell

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this report is dangerous. It only increases the chances of anti-Church, negative perceptions of Christianity, which will lead to further stereotypes and further Christianphobia :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The kid is only 5 for goodness sake.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of the incident, it does seem odd the lengths some schools will go to, to cater to such a tiny insignificant proportion of children who may turn out to be gay, let alone already know they are gay by the age of 5.

It's similar to the stories about the introduction of sex neutral toilets in Brighton to make transexuals feel at ease. It just makes you think, we are in an economic and financial crisis, youth unemployment is sky high, Britains is losing its place as an economic power slowly but surely yet the establishment is spending its time pandering to small issues like this. (I'm not infering the issues don't exist they do, but to claim they are the most significant for us at the moment is insulting to the average man/woman.)

ReputationRep:
    So as per mmmpie's link above, the school invited Stonewall as a result of an Ofsted inspection, so like whatever.

But if the school had invited Stonewall to come talk because of a 5-year-old calling someone gay, I'm really confused as to why that's a bad thing. I'm happy to suppose the kid doesn't understand the notion of sexuality or the meaning of the word 'gay'. But then surely that's the perfect time to educate ("sometimes men love other men, and that's just as awesome as when men love women, and we call those men gay"). Just like if a kid had picked up the word '******' and was using it as an insult without understanding it we'd tell teach them to stop.

(Original post by Oschene23)
    Regardless of the incident, it does seem odd the lengths some schools will go to, to cater to such a tiny insignificant proportion of children who may turn out to be gay, let alone already know they are gay by the age of 5.
    (a) Let's suppose the school has 500 pupils. By conservative estimates that means 25 or so who eventually come out as queer. Let's also suppose, since you think it's fine for one kid to use 'gay' as an insult, that this is widespread. That makes 25 children (plus the ones with queer relatives or family friends) who have to spend their formative years, and then later look back on their formative years, surrounded by people taking their identity and using it as an insult. Given how schools are supposed to be raising children, it seems pretty off-base to attack a school for helping create an environment that doesn't reject its own pupils.

ReputationRep:
    Child poverty, violence, gun crime, actual racism, - no, let us all use disproportionate time , resources, and energy on homosexuality.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    Child poverty, violence, gun crime, actual racism, - no, let us all use disproportionate time , resources, and energy on homosexuality.
    I'm pretty sure violence and gun crime isn't a common problem with 5 year olds

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just because the 5 year old doesn't know what the word means doesn't mean we shouldn't teach them it is wrong to use it that way. Children shouldn't grow up thinking it is OK to use the word 'gay' as an insult - we should be teaching them that there are many different types of relationships and they're all valid as long as everyone is happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I'm pretty sure violence and gun crime isn't a common problem with 5 year olds

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In terms of a global issue, notwithstanding the specific incident cited on this thread.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    In terms of a global issue, notwithstanding the specific incident cited on this thread.
    Even so, surely homophobia is on par with racism?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Just because the 5 year old doesn't know what the word means doesn't mean we shouldn't teach them it is wrong to use it that way. Children shouldn't grow up thinking it is OK to use the word 'gay' as an insult - we should be teaching them that there are many different types of relationships and they're all valid as long as everyone is happy.
    What for Incest, or Zoophilia?

We should teach children there are boundaries that need to be respected, and not everything that makes two people happy is moral. There are plenty of things, which i won't mention, two people could engage in and be happy about, but which society today shuns.

Instead, we should teach children to look at both sides of the coin, avoid insults , and be allowed to present their view without fear of being insulted themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Even so, surely homophobia is on par with racism?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would disagree. Your race is hereditary - 100%. Homosexuality is not hardwired, it is aquired , it is not your face , your eyes, skin colour or heritage, it's a sexual preference or choice (made indirectly or directly). People of most races and societies have shunned homosexuality.

You could argue it's equally racist to shun those who engage in incest, homosexual incest, or zoophilia - other sexual practices.

My comments aren't intended to offend anyone, just to put across my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    If a 5 year old knows their sexual orientation, then something's wrong with them. The word 'gay' has several meanings, and the one intended by 5 year olds is not the one synonymous with homosexual.
    I knew when I was six, although it's beside the point. The word was once a euphemism, and now is an identity; it needn't be a slur.

(Original post by DeluxeJ)
    Hey, this report is dangerous. It only increases the chances of anti-Church, negative perceptions of Christianity, which will lead to further stereotypes and further Christianphobia :rolleyes:
    Churches bring negative perceptions on themselves. Perhaps they should spend less time being unpleasant to people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People need to get the **** over themselves, and stop being offended at every pointless nonsensical thing. Always used to hear guys call each other pakis/jew ***** at my school for jokes and no one called anyone, sack up *****es

ReputationRep:
    What for Incest, or Zoophilia?

We should teach children there are boundaries that need to be respected, and not everything that makes two people happy is moral. There are plenty of things, which i won't mention, two people could engage in and be happy about, but which society today shuns.

Instead, we should teach children to look at both sides of the coin, avoid insults , and be allowed to present their view without fear of being insulted themselves.
    Ah, I understand, you're just completely wrong.

Some of society shuns gay people because society is filled with miseducated morons. Being in a queer relationship is moral in exactly the same way that being in a straight relationship is moral. We should make sure that children don't perpetuate any notions to the contrary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Ah, I understand, you're just completely wrong.

Some of society shuns gay people because society is filled with miseducated morons. Being in a queer relationship is moral in exactly the same way that being in a straight relationship is moral. We should make sure that children don't perpetuate any notions to the contrary.
    I will accept your point of view, if you can show me you have a moral ground to make such a claim. Could you give me the principles you have used to state that homosexuality is a moral practice?

Even though you accept homosexuality, i will not insult you , but turn towards a dialogue instead.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I would disagree. Your race is hereditary - 100%. Homosexuality is not hardwired, it is aquired , it is not your face , your eyes, skin colour or heritage, it's a sexual preference or choice (made indirectly or directly). People of most races and societies have shunned homosexuality.

You could argue it's equally racist to shun those who engage in incest, homosexual incest, or zoophilia - other sexual practices.

My comments aren't intended to offend anyone, just to put across my point.
    It's not a choice, whether or not it's hereditary

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.