Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lion542)
    density independant factors- i put temperature
    Same .

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone put root hair cell for 'What is this cell?'

ReputationRep:
    Of course it was temperature It was one of the easiest questions in the paper

ReputationRep:
    Hated the insulin and lead questions:mad:

ReputationRep:
    If I remember correctly the last multi choice question was something about two alleles.. protein.... heterozygous ... and the options were like Co-Dominance, Polygenic inheritance and 2 others. Sorry can't remember it exactly.

ReputationRep:
    found the paper really really tough, got 75% in the prelim and have studied a bucket load

wasn't sure about the chromosome question, the 'what root is this' question, lead and genetic engineering one sucked too.

did the birds spend 0.375 hours a day on average in tupor?

ReputationRep:
    Question 1 was good though! Easy peasy...
    Phosphate, Deoxyribose, Hydrogen Bond

(Original post by lion542)
    Hated the insulin and lead questions:mad:
    It was a nightmare... Every PS question is a nightmare anyway

ReputationRep:
    When you send an appeal the SQA say that:

The evidence that your school/college sends to us with your appeal needs to demonstrate that you previously managed to achieve a better grade (eg in your prelim or mock exam) than you did in the real exam. The evidence must give our examiners a detailed picture how you performed during the Course.
    The prelim or mock exam that they submit for you should look just like a real exam for that subject. This means the evidence has to be at the same level of difficulty as real exams, be in the same format, have the same range of questions, be the same length, and should be produced under exam conditions.
    Along with this evidence, your school/college also has to send us:

• the marking instructions they used to mark your evidence/prelim
    • the cut-off scores they used in your evidence/prelim (ie what was the percentage of correct answers needed to get an A, B, C etc)
    • the sources of the questions they used in the prelim (ie where they got questions from)

Anyway my question is when the SQA says that your evidence must resemble a real exam paper, what if your school did biology units 1 &2 as a separate prelim from unit 3?

For example I sat the prelim for unit 1 & 2 in January and in April we all sat the unit 3 prelim. I got 80% and 83% in each of them. Will the SQA accept this or not? I am just so worried because I think that I have B after today...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackoGeddes)

I think I got 0.4? I can't really remember though.

ReputationRep:
    found the paper really really tough, got 75% in the prelim and have studied a bucket load

wasn't sure about the chromosome question, the 'what root is this' question, lead and genetic engineering one sucked too.

I just want to cry . I am not even joking. I studied loads too yet done crap.

Did you do your prelim all as one big paper or did you split the units up?

I think I got the same for the tupour question too .

ReputationRep:
    0.5 per month for torpor. 0.4 for something in that question??

ReputationRep:

Well, that question was worded strangely

In the question it said work out how many hours the spend on average per MONTH but the answer part said hours per day

I remember getting 5 hours a day though?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys was wondering. Ignore all my question and answer, realised this is BIOLOGY not HUMAN Biology .....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoJennyox)
    I just want to cry . I am not even joking. I studied loads too yet done crap.

Did you do your prelim all as one big paper or did you split the units up?

I think I got the same for the tupour question too .
    split up 1+2 then we did 3 later.

how bad do you think you did? i didn't leave out any questions, but a large majority were problem solving involved with little biology knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Hated the 0-24 years growth question. It would have been better if they removed a PS question and added one on respiration and krebs cycle which is in it every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gt1996)

In the question it said work out how many hours the spend on average per MONTH but the answer part said hours per day

the bar went up in hours did it not? so the points went up in 0.1 hours.

0.2 hours, 0.1 hours, 0.2 hours, 1 hour was the values. i just divided by 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoJennyox)

The evidence that your school/college sends to us with your appeal needs to demonstrate that you previously managed to achieve a better grade (eg in your prelim or mock exam) than you did in the real exam. The evidence must give our examiners a detailed picture how you performed during the Course.
    The prelim or mock exam that they submit for you should look just like a real exam for that subject. This means the evidence has to be at the same level of difficulty as real exams, be in the same format, have the same range of questions, be the same length, and should be produced under exam conditions.

• the cut-off scores they used in your evidence/prelim (ie what was the percentage of correct answers needed to get an A, B, C etc)
    • the sources of the questions they used in the prelim (ie where they got questions from)

Anyway my question is when the SQA says that your evidence must resemble a real exam paper, what if your school did biology units 1 &2 as a separate prelim from unit 3?

For example I sat the prelim for unit 1 & 2 in January and in April we all sat the unit 3 prelim. I got 80% and 83% in each of them. Will the SQA accept this or not? I am just so worried because I think that I have B after today...
    yeah they will accept that, they just need coverage of the entire course throughout your mock exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gt1996)

I did 2 divided by 4 to get 0.5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob35)
    i wrote down what i put down for the multiple choice:
    1-A 2-B
    3-C 4-A
    5-A 6-B
    7-D 8-A
    9-B 10-D
    11-C 12-C
    13-C 14-D
    15-A 16-B
    16-C 17-A
    18-C 19-D
    20-D 21-B
    22-A 23-C
    24-D 25-D
    26-A 27-B
    28-C 29-B
    30-C
    Question 5 is definitely D, it was in the 2012 higher biology (correct me if I am wrong)

ReputationRep:
    split up 1+2 then we did 3 later.

how bad do you think you did? i didn't leave out any questions, but a large majority were problem solving involved with little biology knowledge.
    I think I did VERY BAD. As in I got a B grade instead of an A bad. And I need an A in this subject or I am screwed. I got 81% overall in my prelim and I didn't find it too bad. But the exam today was just crap.

Do you know if they SQA will accept an appeal if you split up the prelim because they state on the website that prelims much be the "same length" as a real paper...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.