Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    10/10

ReputationRep:
    7/10 I'm impressed with myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Ahh, thanks I'm renowned for my ability to be pedanticistic about grammar when necessary, and I've never heard of that as A Thing - but I suppose it makes sense.
    When I write I often put commas by the million and then I use my Breathe technique to decide if some of them need to be fullstops

ReputationRep:
    9/10, but one of the questions is logically impossible to determine since it uses a comma inappropriately to justify knowing what sex someone is.

ReputationRep:
    9/10. Wah.

ReputationRep:
    ah i got 10/10, the perks of taking latin a level (spoiler: there aren't many)

ReputationRep:
    6/10. The semi-colon question was easiest for me; I cannot write a sentence without them.

ReputationRep:
    8/10 but I did guess the gerund one so I guess it's 7 really.

ReputationRep:
    i is gotten 10/10, i good grammmaring

ReputationRep:
    9/10, but I guessed the gerund one so really 8/10. I got the gender of Hilary question wrong.

ReputationRep:
    5/10. Embarrasing as ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Swear down, apples are countable.
    I agree, they don't explain why the apples choice is wrong...

EDIT: Oh, wait. They were asking which sentence was wrong :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    7/10. Why is grammar so confusing sometimes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avoxgirl)
    ah i got 10/10, the perks of taking latin a level (spoiler: there aren't many)
    I got 8, latin does help loads

How did you get the gender one?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by takingtime)

(Original post by TenOfThem)
    Try it taking real breaths with a comma and you will feel it

If it said

Benedict my brother, who doesn't

That breath stops the brother list

But Benedict my brother who doesn't, and Hilary ... creates a list of brothers
    One of them sounds like "Benedict, my brother who is X, and Hilary, my other brother who is Y"; the other sounds like "Benedict, my brother (who is X), and Hilary (my sibling of indeterminate gender)".

ReputationRep:
    5/10 oops

ReputationRep:
    Didn't understand the gender one and all the other nonsensical English terminology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    One of them sounds like "Benedict, my brother who is X, and Hilary, my other brother who is Y"; the other sounds like "Benedict, my brother (who is X), and Hilary (my sibling of indeterminate gender)".
    Just doesn't make sense to me! Can't get my head around how describing him as a brother makes that characterisation implicit. Would it be the same if he described him as having red hair or something?

Also I thought the ",my brother who doesn't," made it a sub-ordinate clause which operates like brackets?
    So it would be incidental. Oh well, I don't think I will ever understand!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takingtime)

Yes, by saying 'Benedict my brother who doesn't,' creates a list. Idk read it aloud and put the emphasis on 'doesn't' at a slightly higher pitch that's how I got it.

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.