Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JF2013)
    Dead lifts are when you have weights and you put them over your head straight away instead of going to your chest.
    WHAT?! No they're not. Deadlifts are picking a weight up from the floor, to waist height, and back again. No need to go for a high amount of reps either, 8-10 is sufficient. There's no reason to start with 3 reps, working it up. Start with whatever you can lift for 8-10 reps without losing form. Once it's easy, move up in weight, not reps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanAsh)
    WHAT?! No they're not. Deadlifts are picking a weight up from the floor, to waist height, and back again. No need to go for a high amount of reps either, 8-10 is sufficient. There's no reason to start with 3 reps, working it up. Start with whatever you can lift for 8-10 reps without losing form. Once it's easy, move up in weight, not reps.
    I didn't know you only put them up to your waist, I've been doing extra work aha, well I'm just saying what my PT told me to do then after you reach at least 20 reps move up to the weight (it helps to see of your really confident in the weight you start with instead of struggling to do the next weight, if that makes sense)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are more important things in life than your thighs, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JF2013)
    I didn't know you only put them up to your waist, I've been doing extra work aha, well I'm just saying what my PT told me to do then after you reach at least 20 reps move up to the weight (it helps to see of your really confident in the weight you start with instead of struggling to do the next weight, if that makes sense)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It sounds like you're describing a clean and jerk, though I'm not totally confident on the Olympic lifts. Did your trainer give you a reason for 20 reps?

OP, why not head over to the fitness forum? There's a wealth of advice there

ReputationRep:
    Hexagon easy for yu to say if yyu got small ones lol and aw thnx ppl but I'm so impatient like I been doing gyming &Dieting since Aug but still no difference urgh I hate this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ammmmm)
    Hexagon easy for yu to say if yyu got small ones lol and aw thnx ppl but I'm so impatient like I been doing gyming &Dieting since Aug but still no difference urgh I hate this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If there's no difference then you need to take a step back and look at what you're doing wrong. If you've truly been exercising enough and eating right, then you should see a difference. What does a typical day look like for you, food and exercise-wise? (Don't tell porkies, be completely honest otherwise no one will be able to help and advise you)

ReputationRep:
    Okay breakfast is weetabix and dried fruit then dinner is like boiled egg or scrambled egg with salad or spinach or even jacket potat with beans and tuna then I go gym I do half hour to an hr on crosstrainer then adduction and leg extension then squats and sumtymes stepper then vibro plates then come home and have supper for example a fruit handmade smoothy or wheats and yogurt that's my life told basicly x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It looks like you're not getting much protein; do you eat meat? Otherwise, you might not actually be eating enough (I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but if your body is smart and will start to burn muscle over fat if you're not getting enough of the macronutrients your body needs...look it up!).

Exercise wise, I'd suggest skipping the machines and working on free weight compound lifts. These are lifts in which you're using more than one muscle group. Again, you can find more info online but for example my workout looks like this:

Squats 3x10 100lbs
    Bench Presses 3x10 55lbs
    Deadlifts 3x10 85lbs
    Lat pull downs 3x10 28lbs
    One arm dumbell rows 3x20 (10 each arm per set) 25lbs
    Pull ups 3x10 (with assistance of 19lbs at the moment)
    Push ups x 20
    Planks 3xF (meaning I do them 3 times, to 'failure', which means as long as I can hold it for in perfect form).
    Running (twice a week it's HIIT - high intensity interval training) and once a week I do a long run - running as far as I can posssibly run).

My usual day food-wise looks like this:

Scrambled eggs or cereal for breakfast
    Large salad consisting of spinach, broccoli, peppers, carrots, sunflower seeds and whatever else I can find to throw in it along with some grilled turkey for lunch
    Large salad, steamed veg (more broccoli and some cauliflower this time!) and either oily fish or red meat depending on whether it's a lifting day (red meat on the lifting day, fish on the off days).
    For snacks I choose from a handful of nuts, a hard boiled egg, a banana, a yoghurt or a couple of carrots.

Drinks-wise, I never, ever, ever drink 'normal' sort drinks (there are 9 teaspoons of sugar in a can of Coke!), I go for the diet versions if I fancy a soft drink. I drink lots of fruit teas and TONS of water.

Remember that whilst fruit is seen as healthy, it contains a lot of sugar..sneaky!

ReputationRep:
    Ha omg wow thanks for the advice
    What r your thighs like though? Do you find that ur current exercises and diet is helpful? Gosh if only I was naturally skinny like I swear down. My friends eat so much rubbish yet they get skinnier and skinnier wtf

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That'll catch up with them I used to be able to maintain a size 6 with no exercise and living off pizza. Now I'm 26 and I struggle to maintain a size 8 with regular exercise and a very healthy diet.
    My thighs are just that - thighs. They're there, they wobble, like all thighs. There's a gap between them at the top (which appeared after I started the aforementioned weight training).

My best advice is to embrace what you have. If your thighs are never going to look like Coco Rocha's, who cares? Beyonce's thighs don't look like that either
    People are different shapes and sizes. Yes, we can exercise and eat a clean diet but we can't force our body to look a way that isn't it's natural state without various cosmetic surgeries. I'd highly recommend against any kind of cosmetic surgery for a long, long time yet. Like I mentioned, I'm 26 and I find my body is still changing as I get older. I don't know how old you are (apologies if you've already mentioned that!) but I'll wager that your body is still changing.
    Find something that works and stick to it. It's only in the last 6 months that I've been looking in the mirror and thinking "Yeah, I don't like *this*, but *this* is awesome!" It's all about finding your positive points and focussing on them. Sure, work on the things you dislike but realise that if you looked like everyone else, the world would be a very boring place

ReputationRep:
    Best way to loose fat (as recommended from a gym-running friend) is drink 5 litters of water a day, which I tried and is very difficult but even I shifted a few KG's in a couple of days.
    That and a calorie controlled diet (aim for 1500kcal max) with some good exercise like swimming, cycling, running, or anything you enjoy! You'll find fat doesnt shift from any one place, ever, it small decreases from deposits all around the body.

Keep that up for a week and see the difference!

ReputationRep:
    Drinking water doesn't make you lose fat, it reduces water retention. The reason you'll see the lbs drop off in the first couple of days is because your body is no longer holding on to water, it's releasing it and that's what causes the scales to show a loss of weight. It's just water weight
    The calorie controlled diet is a good start, but make sure it's all 'clean'. 1500 calories in pizza isn't going to do you any good, but 1500 calories in veg, meat, fish, nuts, and some fruit will make a difference. You also need to find out what your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is. Mine's around 1200 calories, meaning that my body requires 1200 calories literally just to survive. If I was in a coma, this is what I'd be burning. Most places recommend adding around 400 calories on to that to find your maintenance level; the amount of calories you'd need to maintain your current weight. Drop 200 off that and you've got your healthy deficit

You can find BMR calculators online, just be sure to remember that they're guesses, there's no way of knowing without complex medical equiptment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    Most people who claim that they're on a 'healthy' diet usually aren't.
    And people who claim to be "omg im so fat help me" usually aren't.

ReputationRep:
    Ive lost 5 stone through slimming world and excercise. I swim 4 miles a week and then i add a couple of body pump classes, yoga, pilates n sometimes 20/20/20 and cross training etc.

Generally people who say they dont eat much/eat healthily dont. The biscuit here the processed sandwich there all add up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habibul Bashar)
    Just work on your fitness and diet and perhaps look at some specific exercises for thighs.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though in terms of guys. Men are genetically disposed to like women with good sized thighs. Why impregnate a woman who doesn't have sufficient fat stores to go through pregnancy?

There was a poll on here a couple of weeks ago with pics of the perfect female body shapes. There was one picture where the girl had a great body, but pretty big thighs. I believe out of the 6 options, she was the 2nd most popular!

Most men honestly like women with a bit of fat on them, unfortunately many men/women have been brainwashed to think that skinny thighs are good

So because I'm slim are you telling me that no one actually likes me but they just think they do because they've been brainwashed by the media? Thank you for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    So because I'm slim are you telling me that no one actually likes me but they just think they do because they've been brainwashed by the media? Thank you for that.
    No, I'm just saying that this girl is probably of a healthy weight but with chunky thighs. And that actually this is not a particularly bad thing.

Most women think they have to be really skinny to be attractive, when the reality is that men tend to like curvier women who tend to have bigger thighs.

So, OP probably has nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habibul Bashar)
    No, I'm just saying that this girl is probably of a healthy weight but with chunky thighs. And that actually this is not a particularly bad thing.

Most women think they have to be really skinny to be attractive, when the reality is that men tend to like curvier women who tend to have bigger thighs.

So, OP probably has nothing to worry about.

Men like a range of body shapes and sizes, some men like slender legs, some like toned legs, some like more shapely legs. It's unfair of you to put down girls with slim legs. It's like taking away the esteem of one type of girl and giving it to another.

But I guess that's what the media is all aabout.

Save up and get liposuction if it's that important for you. I recently had liposuction done in all my problem areas last week. Currently recovering. I worked until I saved enough to have it done. I'm already feeling much better about myself.

Liposuction doesn't solve your problems although I don't agree that getting liposuction wont help you at all.

If the exercises don't work it's a good option. (I suggest laser liposuction, better and faster results with less pain)

ReputationRep:
    OP, if you work out (weight lifting+cardio) 3-4 times a week, and are on a good clean diet and get enough sleep everyday you will lose fat whether you want to or not. Don't choose liposuction

ReputationRep:
    Try doing cardio exercises specific to legs, youtube have loads of videos and steadily if you practise everyday you'll see a difference

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.