Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexgr97)
    Yeah, if it wasn't for the two hour time limit, I could have happily kept writing! :P My essays in school always lose marks for being too boring/unoriginal, so I tried to spice things up haha. :P Good luck!
    Same I had so many more ideas I could have mentioned :P ..thanks and you! Have you got any CIE english literature exams as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samr96)
    Same I had so many more ideas I could have mentioned :P ..thanks and you! Have you got any CIE english literature exams as well?
    Yep, on Monday I have the 2 hour 15 minute one for books - we're doing The Tempest, The Great Gatsby, and Tennyson poetry. And on Wednesday I have the unseen - not looking forward to it! :P You?

ReputationRep:
    Hm I couldn't find anything online but I imagine no more than 75ish/100 for an A* ..really cannot imagine it being above 80! In my mock, the school did a Paper 2 only and the boundary for an A* was something like 39/50..
    Ah, okay. Our teachers have a habit of just telling us ridiculously high grade boundaries to get us all to work hard so I thought I'd check from another source!

For Lit I'm doing Gatsby and Tennyson as well. I really enjoy Gatsby, and I don't mind In Memoriam, but I'm really not a fan of the longer poems like Mariana and Lady of Shalott.

ReputationRep:
    You know how you're asked to leave your set texts in the exam hall after the literature exam, do the teachers/invigilators check every single copy of the text belonging to every student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zabaar)
    You know how you're asked to leave your set texts in the exam hall after the literature exam, do the teachers/invigilators check every single copy of the text belonging to every student?
    No, obviously they can't but they might have a quick flick through. It will become apparent if you take a marked copy into the exam, though. Don't risk being disqualified.

ReputationRep:
    No, obviously they can't but they might have a quick flick through. It will become apparent if you take a marked copy into the exam, though. Don't risk being disqualified.
    Cheers Greg . It's just that my copy of Three Victorian Poets already has a few notes from the last person who used it.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, on Monday I have the 2 hour 15 minute one for books - we're doing The Tempest, The Great Gatsby, and Tennyson poetry. And on Wednesday I have the unseen - not looking forward to it! :P You?
    Same here, although I'm doing Gatsby, Tennyson and Julius Caesar, really worried about it!

I also have the unseen but mine is on Thursday :P ..that one should be fine though, I'm most worried about the set texts.

ReputationRep:
    About how long should each essay be, in sides of a4? In my mock my time planning was a bit of a mess and I ended up writing way too much for my first essay, which didn't even score that well anyway, and having to really rush my third to be able to finish it. That scored even worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effortlesswhirl)
    About how long should each essay be, in sides of a4? In my mock my time planning was a bit of a mess and I ended up writing way too much for my first essay, which didn't even score that well anyway, and having to really rush my third to be able to finish it. That scored even worse.
    I would say try and write no more than 2.5, ideally around 2 sides per essay. You want to keep your answer concise and spend equal time on each question, ideally about 40 minutes leaving you with 15 minutes at the end

ReputationRep:
    Same here, although I'm doing Gatsby, Tennyson and Julius Caesar, really worried about it!

I also have the unseen but mine is on Thursday :P ..that one should be fine though, I'm most worried about the set texts.
    Ah, I must have been mistaken. I'll have mine on Thursday too then. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    I loved the descriptive question, I did the one about an old place with a powerful atmosphere
    I did that as well haha

ReputationRep:
    I took this exam today as a mock and I think I have completely failed it, it then asked me to summarise the trench text and the Alaskan text so I just waffled On about what they did..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.