Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was always under the impression that the rig and crew were American and from American companies. I never really understood BP's role in this other than paying them to drill and take the oil away.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I don't feel sympathetic but I can understand that things aren't going well for them and they're trying their best to recover. But it's not as if they wanted what happened in the Gulf of Mexico to happen - it happened because of the culture within the industry that built up over time. Now, in the wake of that disaster, oil companies worldwide have become beurocracy incarnate in the name of health & safety and equipment stability.

What people need to remember is that corporations respond to the incentives that society gives them. The amount that they care about health and safety, the environment, etc., is directly related to how much the law and consumers forces them to care. It makes no sense to expect them to behave differently to the incentives that we've given them - today there is much more pressure for them to act to rigorously in regards to safety than there was pre-disaster (and we need to keep it that way).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    I don't.

The price of fuel in this country is ridiculous and now there are claims which suggest these scumbags had been fixing them for over 10 years (around the same time people began to complain about fuel prices...)

Well it turns out that BP aren't actually a fan of getting mugged off either. And if they feel they are paying too much for something they will go crying to the PM to make the big bad bully (USA) go away. An option that wasn't open to any of us.

There are likely an awful lot of claims from people who are not affected by the spill. Usually that would make me angry, but considering BP has essentially extorted billions from people it makes me a little happy.

Do you feel any sympathy for BP?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22549710
    I'm pretty sure that the majority of the price of fuel is down to government taxes, and is it even BP fixing prices? I thought it was third party traders who buy and horde oil. Regardless, that's no excuse for the yanks trying to rape BP for billions while allowing their own firms that were involved in the spill to get off with a slap on the wrists.

ReputationRep:
    Go green or nuclear.
    Go green and nuclear. Which opens another debate about nuclear as the future. Germany isn't doing it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.