ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Source for 22k?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just came across this

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore...y-for-doctors/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by telephone)
    It's not really a dumb move for someone who can barely scrape AAA in their A-levels. In actual fact it would be a very wise move money wise in that particular case.
    There is more to getting into medical school than just achieving high grades - and what's more, there's more to getting through medical school than the promise of a reasonable salary later on. Medical school is tough, draining, and a lot of the time you have to press on even though you feel like a lot of what you're doing is just hoop jumping. It's longer than a typical degree and has a lot more hours and you accumulate more debt. It is a dumb move if you're not really invested in it, you could get AAA and do another course which will give you similar prospects but with far less stress.

(Original post by usainlightning)
    Source for 22k?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The salary does increase (especially if you take into account "banding" i.e. overtime and supplementary pay), however, that is the basic rate for FY1.

ReputationRep:
    Well I study dentistry which is kinda similar and I am motivated because I love the job haha, patient contact, getting to chat with your nurse, quite laid back.

The only thing that would put me off doing this job if it wasn't so highly paid is:

A) It takes long to study to become one and the course is quite intensive

B) With the A-level grades you need to get on the course, you could do another degree that would earn you a handsome salary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    There are going to be loads of reasons, interest in the subject, prestige, job security, ability to treat and help patients, comfortable salary, diverse variety of fields, etc etc.

Doctors are not overpaid. In case you haven't noticed, salaries aren't decided by the number of hours someone works. Those GP's earning near £400k are very very rare, most GP's would be on around £100k which is completely fair considering the length of training they have to go through and the amount of knowledge they need to have.
    The salary needs to be that for doctors to make sure that you have the best people in the system to make the system the best.

I don't think you can argue that anybody deserves 100k for working hard, then squillions deserve 100k and that's not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    The salary needs to be that for doctors to make sure that you have the best people in the system to make the system the best.

I don't think you can argue that anybody deserves 100k for working hard, then squillions deserve 100k and that's not going to happen.
    but this makes money motivated doctors who will not make the interests of patients

ReputationRep:
    How much are doctors paid at the market price (Privately) this will give us an indication of the region in which they should be paid.

ReputationRep:
    My underlying career aspiration is to become a neurosurgeon. The main reasons are because of a personal experience, to be able to help others and the brain/nervous system really intrigue me.

ReputationRep:
    it is solely for the money. even cleaners help people, so that is a lie. if there were no cleaners then everyone would get ill

ReputationRep:
    For me it is the money you get as a result of helping others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IchHabDichLieb)
    it is solely for the money. even cleaners help people, so that is a lie. if there were no cleaners then everyone would get ill
    If there weren't cleaners it would just mean that we'll clean ourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim2341)
    [SIZE=2]What motivates a Doctor want to become a Doctor? Is it the Money, Prestige or Moral Imperative, like helping people because they need help?
    Generally, golf.

ReputationRep:
    A doctor has a good social position in the society so it becomes a good reason to choose.Doctors earn good salaries so it can be another reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    There is more to getting into medical school than just achieving high grades - and what's more, there's more to getting through medical school than the promise of a reasonable salary later on. Medical school is tough, draining, and a lot of the time you have to press on even though you feel like a lot of what you're doing is just hoop jumping. It's longer than a typical degree and has a lot more hours and you accumulate more debt. It is a dumb move if you're not really invested in it, you could get AAA and do another course which will give you similar prospects but with far less stress.

The salary does increase (especially if you take into account "banding" i.e. overtime and supplementary pay), however, that is the basic rate for FY1.
    Maybe before the A* you could get AAA and have good prospects (whether or not you achieve them is another matter) but now you will definitely not have similar prospects to a doctor with just AAA.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't necessarily have to be any of those. For me, I want a career that is challenging yet rewarding. I love the sciences but wouldn't want to do lab work. I like learning and genuinely enjoyed my work experience.
    So be honest, I'm going into Medicine as I want a career that is challenging whilst also interesting and rewarding. A desk job would be my worst nightmare and others like teaching don't particularly appeal.

Of course the helping people bit is great, but that's not my sole reason for wanting to do Medicine. There are other jobs in which you can do so without going to university for 6 years and then having to undergo yet more rigorous training.

As for money and prestige, there are easier ways to earn a doctor's salary and I don't think Medicine holds any particular prestige any more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by telephone)
    Maybe before the A* you could get AAA and have good prospects (whether or not you achieve them is another matter) but now you will definitely not have similar prospects to a doctor with just AAA.
    To put it a different way, a person with academic calibre enough to get into medical school can certainly succeed in easier, more lucrative career choices than medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors in GP clinics are essentially self employed people limited to a 6 figure salary in most cases. There is an interesting program by CNBC called untold wealth where people worth a couple of million complain that they are "middle class" and their friends worth tens and hundreds of millions have shares in private jets and butlers. Also in this section of the documentary http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4k2_1DWPBpo it states in 2007 the top 1 percent of neurosurgeons in the US earned on average 2.7 million dollars (remember un a far more richly compensated private healthcare system compared to the UK) wheras the top 25 hedge fund managers in the same year earned on average 877 million dollars. Ok I know hedge funds can blow up but there are other options if you are clever such as making hundreds of millions if you get to the top/are successful in the more safer world of private equity/leveraged buyouts. Thus I wouldn't say do medicine for the money do it for helping others or if you have a passion for it. I always fail to understand why no one doctor or group of doctors own multiple practices to make themselves richer, retailers have multiple stores why don't doctors own multiple surgeries? The only example I know of though I am no expert is the company that Virgin owns , Assura Group, one group of GP practice owners recently sold their stakes to Assura for 5 million each. I know the Pruvate Equity Firm The Carlyle Group owned 500 dentist surgeries in the past not sure if they made a profit on thier investment if they have exited the investment yet.

ReputationRep:
    Asian parents I think for most doctors..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneAndOnly123)
    Asian parents I think for most doctors..
    Despite the fact that medicine is overwhelmingly a white profession :rolleyes:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/register/search_stats.asp

ReputationRep:
    i think one of the factors in the "doctors have to be paid that much or they wouldnt work" is not that they wouldnt work at all, but that they wouldnt for for the NHS. there are many private health companies and health services in other countries out there who will pay high salaries, so if the doctors wages were dropped from what they are, i think that statement refers to the idea that many doctors would leave the NHS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.