Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drove away from a parking ticket Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsCourtney)
    Have you been arrested for hate crime?
    Hate crime against criminals?

ReputationRep:
    Assuming it is as you described you will get a ticket through the post. I think they have a month to send you something. If you don't, I would be very surprised.

I have been given a penalty parking notice without actually seeing the buggers. I parked in a red route bay at 6:55pm on a weekday (the restrictions come off at 7pm) thinking that 5 minutes won't make a difference. A few days later I got a 60 pound fine through the post with CCTV pictures of my car and a timestamp.

The parking warden doesn't have to actually hand you a PCN. You can be had through the post, and in this day and age, driving off isn't really a solution as pretty much everywhere has CCTV which they can use as proof it was you driving the car and that you were causing an offence.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the advice that the councils don't have the right to issue parking fines - that's why strictly speaking they're called Penalty Charge Notices - it's a penalty charge rather than a fine. Civil enforcement of parking is permitted by statute and any court is almost definitely going to enforce the statute above any obscure arguments about whether you need to have entered into a contract with the council.

As other posters have already said, assuming they were council Civil Enforcement Officers, they'd be well within their rights to send you the PCN by post. As long as it's served by post in accordance with the regulations, it does count as having been served.

You might be lucky in that the CEO didn't bother, but tbh that's unlikely. If you do get something through the post then before you do anything head over to Pepipoo and post the information in their parking charges section. Although it's fairly unlikely, there's a chance that there will be an issue with the wording of the PCN and some other procedural impropriety which you could get it overturned on. If you launch an informal challenge within the first 14 days of issue then you can usually still pay at discount if they reject it.

Btw how literal are you being with "literally 5 minutes"? Councils have an observation permit (usually 5 minutes but sometimes less) for offences like this and if it's been issued under that then it might have been issued against council policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsCourtney)
    So basically you evaded justice. Seriously why did you drive away and not take the responsibility of your actions?

I've never driven away from an accident nor did I flee when a cop pulled me over for speeding.
    Aren't you the one who was trying to get their sister off the hook for speeding?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.