Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this exam too. I think that one of the media topics will come up, with perhaps a question on the Friends and Holidays topic.

Good luck guys!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to everyone :-) does anyone know the grade boundaries for the speaking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missat)
    Good luck to everyone :-) does anyone know the grade boundaries for the speaking?
    It's:
    A = 43
    B = 38
    C = 33
    D = 29
    E = 25

It's stayed the same since 2009, so I doubt it'll change.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me tips/help on complex structures to include in the essay and how to use them?
    For example, does an infinitive follow 'apres avoir', and how to use 'si clauses' etc etc...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catherine95)
    For example, does an infinitive follow 'apres avoir', and how to use 'si clauses' etc etc...?
    Apres avoir is followed by the perfect tense, for example 'Apres avoir eu' would be 'after having had'
    Si clauses can be with the plu/imperfect tense then the conditional, for example: 'S'il faisait beau, j'irais au bord de la mer' (if it were nice, I would go to the sea-side)
    Also for using 'si' when referring to the future always use the present tense, so like 'Si je suis hereux a l'avenir' would be 'If I'm fortunate in the future'

Another easy one is 'ni... ni...' as in 'neither this... nor something else... I always try to fit that one in early.
    Hope that helps some Just don't do what I do and get distracted and write meandering, stream of consciousness editorial pieces which end up getting horrible marks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanDerSandy)
    Apres avoir is followed by the perfect tense, for example 'Apres avoir eu' would be 'after having had'
    Si clauses can be with the plu/imperfect tense then the conditional, for example: 'S'il faisait beau, j'irais au bord de la mer' (if it were nice, I would go to the sea-side)
    Also for using 'si' when referring to the future always use the present tense, so like 'Si je suis hereux a l'avenir' would be 'If I'm fortunate in the future'

Another easy one is 'ni... ni...' as in 'neither this... nor something else... I always try to fit that one in early.
    Hope that helps some Just don't do what I do and get distracted and write meandering, stream of consciousness editorial pieces which end up getting horrible marks...
    Thanks that was really helpful! But how do you use ni...ni... can you give me an example sentence??

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that was really helpful! But how do you use ni...ni... can you give me an example sentence??
    Le probleme, c'etait ni la nourriture ni la boisson, mais c'etait l'ambiance.

Which translates as: the problem was neither the food nor the drink, but the ambiance. Completely random and probably nonsensical sentence but there you go

You can also use 'soit... soit...' to mean 'either... or...' in exactly the same way. So woop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanDerSandy)
    Le probleme, c'etait ni la nourriture ni la boisson, mais c'etait l'ambiance.

Which translates as: the problem was neither the food nor the drink, but the ambiance. Completely random and probably nonsensical sentence but there you go

You can also use 'soi... soi...' to mean 'either... or...' in exactly the same way. So woop.
    Okay great thanks!
    Can you also use it in present tense so like 'c'est ni la nourriture ni la boisson, mais c'est l'ambiance (as in 'it is neither the food nor the drink....')?

ReputationRep:
    Okay great thanks!
    Can you also use it in present tense so like 'c'est ni la nourriture ni la boisson, mais c'est l'ambiance (as in 'it is neither the food nor the drink....')?
    You sure can, in fact, you can use any tense Beware though, the likes of the past subjunctive and such are not for the faint of heart...

ReputationRep:
    Just for confirmation, to form the conditional perfect tense you use the conditional form of the auxilary verb then add the past participle of the verb you want to use, right?

Par exemple, 'j'aurais fait le parapont, mais je n'avais pas de temps'.

Hopefully translating to 'I would have done parasailing, but I didn't have the time'

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghSTAR)
    Just for confirmation, to form the conditional perfect tense you use the conditional form of the auxilary verb then add the past participle of the verb you want to use, right?

Par exemple, 'j'aurais fait le parapont, mais je n'avais pas de temps'.

Hopefully translating to 'I would have done parasailing, but I didn't have the time'

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is correct but it is la parapente!

ReputationRep:
    Since revision time is running out do you think it would be a good idea to only revise 6 of the subtopics as in 2 of the topics as at least one will come up in the exam? if that makes sense i'm panicking now because i'm running out of time and i need an A ahhh, does anyone know how to get high marks in the essay because that's the thing that lets me down?

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour, what essays do we think could come up for sport?

ReputationRep:
    'What's your favourite sport and why? List it's advantages and disadvantages.'

'Describe the benefits of sport.'

'Outline the positive impacts that Olympics has had and the benefits of sports in general'

or something to do with traditional sports or 'fun' sports..

--

Can't imagine sport not coming up... if it doesn't I'll be really annoyed!

ReputationRep:
    Okay great thanks!
    I'm pretty sure there should be 'ne' before 'est', so it reads as 'ce n'est ni la nourriture ni la boisson...' Don't want you to lose accuracy marks, s'all

http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a/conjunctions_3.htm

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting as well, but luckily I'm a lot more confident now that I've spent an entire year studying at A2 level! The AS essays seem so easy in comparison with the A2 ones! Still a little nervous though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CongressTart)
    I'm resitting as well, but luckily I'm a lot more confident now that I've spent an entire year studying at A2 level! The AS essays seem so easy in comparison with the A2 ones! Still a little nervous though...
    I'm a little nervous too. Just been looking at past paper essay questions,
    theoretically TV, SPORT & FAMILY should come up- there has never been an essay on any of the past papers I have (starting from January 2009!)
    In January Health Fashion and Marriage came up, hopefully fashion will not make a third consecutive appearance.
    Health has come up 7 times and Marriage 5 times, so hopefully not again this time!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggz95)
    I'm a little nervous too. Just been looking at past paper essay questions,
    theoretically TV, SPORT & FAMILY should come up- there has never been an essay on any of the past papers I have (starting from January 2009!)
    In January Health Fashion and Marriage came up, hopefully fashion will not make a third consecutive appearance.
    Health has come up 7 times and Marriage 5 times, so hopefully not again this time!!
    I'd have to agree with you there. I'm hoping for TV personally, as that's what I did my oral on. I also think friendship and music might have a good chance of coming up too. God I hope health & marriage don't come up! I did an essay on 'concubinage' last year and messed up majorly!

Best of luck to you

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone. I just need to revise my vocabulary (vocab builder on Kerboodle), redo all my grammar and make sure in the exam that i point out the obvious (listening) and make sure I keep vreferring back to the essay title (Writing) Should hopefully get a B.... fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys - I have this exam tomorrow as well - I've read everyone's predictions about the essay titles and done some analysis of past papers myself - here are my predictions:

Marriage, cohabitation and divorce - relationships in general seems to have been quite popular and I do not think these will come up in the paper tomorrow - AQA have set them as questions many times. Questions on health and well-being have been quite common too - questions on cannabis, smoking, stress and fast food have all come up in past papers and I do not think we will get a question in this sub-topic.

I have written up a list of questions that I think may come up in the exam tomorrow. My revision plan (For the remaining hours left in the day) is to write up essay answers to all these questions (not in timed conditions) to actually get ideas down on paper and get more comfortable with a "French" way of thinking and writing. I understand that there is immense pressure to get "A" grades and a certain amount of "UMS" points but I would encourage everyone here not to panic as the examiners are typically very generous (well maybe for AS - not sure about A2 as I am an AS student!!!) and tend to mark on quantity rather than quality.

(Re-marks are available too. One boy went up from a C grade to an A grade in his essay for AS french unit 1 last year - some examiners are harsh and look for quality of essay style, complexity of structures and level of readibility "in french" i.e. how "french" it sounds whereas other examiners who give less harsh marks tend to mark on the quantity and spread of points made - regardless of whether its just an "english-french translation"- and also how much topic specific vocabulary one has used. One only has to look at the model answers on AQA's website to see what shoddy french people write in and yet still get full/high marks! Some of this French is clearly being marked on quantity and amount of points made which is a damned shame and a sad reflection of our declining education. Anyhow (rant over) - I would recommend to try and strike a balance between quality and quantity at this stage and also to make sure ideas aren't too complex - simple and clear points seem to work best.)

Essay predictions

1. Les amis ont-ils toujours une bonne influence? Pourquoi est-ce que l'amitie est important dans la vie? (or alternatively) Quelles sont les caracterisques d'un ami ideal?

2. Pourquoi faut-il faire du sport? Pourquoi est-ce que de moins en moins des jeunes font du sport de nos jours? (or alternatively) Que peut-on faire pour encourager les jeunes a faire du sport?

3. Pourquoi est-ce que les gens font des sports extremes? Est-ce qu'il faudrait interdire les sports extremes?

4. Donnez votre opinion sur les vacances and l'industrie du tourisme. Quels sont les avantages et les inconvenients du tourisme? (I guess they might want us to think about the impact on environments and local communities too)

5. Donnez votre opinon sur l'évolution de la famille et les relations familiales des jeunes d'aujourd'hui. Pourquoi est-ce qu'on a vu ce grand changement?

6. Quels sont les avantages et les inconvenients d'internet? Pourquoi est-ce l'internet joue un grand role dans la vie des jeunes?

7. Donnez votre opinion sur les causes de la consommation d'alcool. Quelles mesures faut-il prendre pour lutter contre ce probleme, a votre avis?

8. Quels sont les avantages et les inconvenients de la television ?

Anyhow these are my opinions and I am not certain whether these sort of questions will come up. I have a strong feeling one about friends or sport might come up but then again - an exam is an exam - it is not really meant to be predictable. I generally think they do like catching us out sometimes and making us think in timed conditions. Anyhow I guess it is very important not to worry

Here are my tips on the actual writing of the essay which is mainly based on my advice from my teachers at school, my research online and also my observations and musings on past papers and the candidate exemplars and AQA commentaries/reports.

Many people sometimes struggle to actually develop a "thought" or an "idea" into a well-developed and concise paragraph which admittedly.. I do struggle sometimes too... espcially trying to sound French and everything too.. Therefore:

1. Use examples and statistics to beef out your paragraphs (Though don't write vast amounts on personal experiences! - this looks rather cheap and basic in an AS-level essay - though some do it and still get high marks...). Think of your point in a wider and more general sense - i.e. cinema does not just exist to entertain the individual but also to generate vast amounts of money for a booming industry. Sometimes it is also useful to "turn a point on its head". For instance, in an essay about friendship - you could maybe talk about what life would be like without friends - e.g. "Une vie sans amis serait une vie sans bonheur - ce serait tragique et triste.."

2. Use topic-specific vocabulary - just make sure you integrate it into your essay so it flows nicely. They always like seeing obscure topic vocab - shows that you have actually engaged in-depth with the topic and are not just writing typical superficial layman's observations. It is not too late to revise this - good idea to go over mot a mot and check back through textbook and integrate this into essays.

3. Structure - make sure it is logical - I know it is obvious but essays should typically go "Introduction, main body and then conclusion" which can be condensed into around four sizeable paragraphs.

4. Use rhetorical devices - I think the examiners really like usage of the rhetorical and inverted question. They also like the rule of three too.

5. Make sure you get in a couple of subjunctives - 2-3 would probably suffice - any more and your essay begins to look horribly contrived.

6. AVOID REPETITION - Try not to repeat yourself too much. If you are finding you are using the same phrase or expression too frequently make sure that you have some synonyms/different ways of expressing the idea. I for one know that "beaucoup de..." is used a lot so try to find other ways of expressing the same thing "La majorite de.." "Un grand nombre de" "de nombreux..." - I found the examiners do not mind it even if you use "pas mal de..." "bien de..." (even though these are not really essay style phrases).

All in all - this is just my opinion. My French is not that good (sorry for any mistakes^^) and I really need to get at least a B in this exam so I thought I would just offer my advice (for the essay section) to some of you who are getting worried about this tomorrow. I am going to be revising this mainly throughout the rest of the day and if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will try and answer promptly. Might I just wish you all good luck and keep your spirits up high as French is a very tough academic subject and learning a foreign language is a great skill that will look really good on future CVs and UCAS applications.

Bon courage a tous!!! )))))

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.