Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you get into medicine purely by excellent academic record? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Being a doctor isn't like being a Jedi, you don't just do an apprenticeship in it. Medicine is a tightly regulated profession, this isn't the 18th century.
    I can't rate you again, but thats for making me actually LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atemukay)
    Not true, there was a person I knew who became an apprentice of a really intelligent doctor, because the kids parents asked the doctor to take the son with them aamnesty he legally adapted him, and trained him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :rofl:

Hahah obvious troll is obvious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Being a doctor isn't like being a Jedi, you don't just do an apprenticeship in it. Medicine is a tightly regulated profession, this isn't the 18th century.
    What! The careers advisor at school lied to me...

ReputationRep:
    what are other good medical courses (radiography,nursing ect) other than medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandra1)
    what are other good medical courses (radiography,nursing ect) other than medicine?
    Depends what you actually want to do...

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Newbie here! I'm currently in my second year of law and medicine is something I've wanted to do for a few years now but, having taken the wrong A-levels, I never really thought I'd get the chance to do it... Then I discovered GEM!

I came onto this thread because of the issue about grades. My academics are reasonably good (almost straight A*s at GCSE, A*AAB at A-level with an A in Maths). The problem being that I haven't got Chemistry or Biology so I'm considering studying for those over the course of this year and sitting them as an external candidate next June. I plan on doing lots of work experience/volunteering this summer.

My concern is that I don't really want to take a year between finishing my law degree and starting GEM. But to do that, I'd have to apply this year, for entry in 2014. Having only started to think seriously about medicine recently (although I'm certain it's what I ultimately want to do), I'm worried (probably rightly so) that this isn't a realistic goal. I appreciate I'd be tested on scientific knowledge in interviews around January 2014-ish, so that gives me around 7 months to go from A* GCSE-standard to the standard they'd expect of a GEM applicant.

Please could someone give me advice?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Depends what you actually want to do...
    well i want have a job which involves some sort of science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandra1)
    well i want have a job which involves some sort of science.
    Well there are loads of healthcare work opportunities. But 'science' is very broad. A job that involves 'some sort of science' could include any number of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Hi everyone. Newbie here! I'm currently in my second year of law and medicine is something I've wanted to do for a few years now but, having taken the wrong A-levels, I never really thought I'd get the chance to do it... Then I discovered GEM!

I came onto this thread because of the issue about grades. My academics are reasonably good (almost straight A*s at GCSE, A*AAB at A-level with an A in Maths). The problem being that I haven't got Chemistry or Biology so I'm considering studying for those over the course of this year and sitting them as an external candidate next June. I plan on doing lots of work experience/volunteering this summer.

My concern is that I don't really want to take a year between finishing my law degree and starting GEM. But to do that, I'd have to apply this year, for entry in 2014. Having only started to think seriously about medicine recently (although I'm certain it's what I ultimately want to do), I'm worried (probably rightly so) that this isn't a realistic goal. I appreciate I'd be tested on scientific knowledge in interviews around January 2014-ish, so that gives me around 7 months to go from A* GCSE-standard to the standard they'd expect of a GEM applicant.

Please could someone give me advice?!
    Medical schools dont ask scientific questions at interview (except for Oxbridge), so you're fine in that respect as long as you prepare for their standard questions (why med, work experience, ethics etc).

ReputationRep:
    You could find other ways of evidencing commitment to medicine, but applying to medicine requires a lot of personal investment and effort, just like the degree does, just like the job demands...spot a pattern?

You say you have a strong academic application, then is it really inconceivable for you to spend a weekend in the company of a Dr? Or take a few days off work to gain some experience in a clinic or hospital? Seems a shame to jeopardise your application by not making the effort.

I'm pretty sure for GEM, interviewers take your application in the context of your background, but will expect you to evidence that you've thought about the day to day life of a Dr... Also just making the effort to get clinical exposure will not go unappreciated by the medical school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.