Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I completely disagree on an intervention, there'll be more killings and horror. Let the Syrian people decide who they want in next year's elections: that is democracy and Assad has allowed democracy into Syria: so why are there Islamists killing/executing in the name of democracy? They have other interests, they want Sharia law.

Also there still needs to be actual evidence that sarin gas has been used by the Syrian Arab Army. Also nobody is considering whether the "rebels" may have used sarin gas; a video of a man in an oxygen mask is not viable proof as ounces of sarin gas can kill a full grown man in 2 minutes.

A peaceful resort is the best choice, but one thing that a lot of countries are doing right now is supplying both sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donniee)
    Military intervention at this point in time should not be considered. At this point in time we have no definitive proof which side used chemical weapons, it is just as likely rebels used the sarin to vilify the existing government as it is that Al-assad intentionally used it against rebels.

Furthermore there is no reason to exacerbate the existing problems without the full backing of the UN, the last thing we want is another Iraq where individual countries invade without international support. It was also recently reported that Russia supplies Syria with modern weapons and it would be much easier to start with a diplomatic approach to the problem than with pure military intervention.
    Yeah I'm a newbie with this mHoC but Russia has made it clear that it only had continued its supplying of Syria simply because there's a cohort of countries, one of them being the UK, supplying the opposition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSoftie)
    Yeah I'm a newbie with this mHoC but Russia has made it clear that it only had continued its supplying of Syria simply because there's a cohort of countries, one of them being the UK, supplying the opposition.
    Welcome to the HoC! Stick around a join a* party

*The Green

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donniee)
    Thanks guys!

I do agree that we should intervene, but only as a last resort and with the full backing of organisations such as UN. How would you intervene in the crisis currently?

I struggle to see how we could bring anything to the table by sending in a military force that is not there to bring an end to the civil war, take a look at how well the Yugoslav peacekeepers did during the civil war there.
    Personally, I see that we have two options:

1) We decide that we don't want to get involved. The UK has stuck it's hand into many places over the last sixty years or so, and almost none of them have come out any better as a result of it. We're solely responsible to the Pakistan/India pissing contest, and largely responsible for the Israel/Palestine situation. It would be understandable if we did not want to get involved. However, we should bear in mind that the UN can do jack all about this through diplomacy. China and Russia largely ignore the UN; Russia probably because of reasons relating to oil. If we don't get involved, and if no one else gets involved, we will have to stand by and watch the country annihilate itself.

2) We go in with varying degrees of military. With the current withdrawal from Afghanistan, we have the manpower to go for a full ground invasion, as long as we have allied/NATO help. However, that's probably not a good idea. Our main concern is the use of chemical weapons, and the best way to get rid of them is to send in spec ops. We know where most of Syria's chemical weapons are held, so we can go in and remove them. Alternatively, we can go for a Libya style air support role (though I'm not sure how much use that'll actually be in this situation).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think the best option now is probably air support and to destroy all Syrian military assets, the rebels seem to be a reasonable fighting force. If we were to go down the ground route then could one possibility not be for the Turkish military to push x miles inside the border and create a solid buffer zone for refugees to flee to without actually having to let them over the Turkish boder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I think the best option now is probably air support and to destroy all Syrian military assets, the rebels seem to be a reasonable fighting force. If we were to go down the ground route then could one possibility not be for the Turkish military to push x miles inside the border and create a solid buffer zone for refugees to flee to without actually having to let them over the Turkish boder.
    You might as well declare war on Syria. Plus it'll increase the death toll and may get one of Syria's alleis to help. A peaceful resolution is the best way forward, let the Syrian people decide who they want as their leader or who they want to be penalised.
    Also, what happened to our members in the Golan Heights? Their in captivity so I heard.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You might as well declare war on Syria. Plus it'll increase the death toll and may get one of Syria's alleis to help. A peaceful resolution is the best way forward, let the Syrian people decide who they want as their leader or who they want to be penalised.
    Also, what happened to our members in the Golan Heights? Their in captivity so I heard.
    There is no peaceful resolution on the way, Assad has made it quite clear that he is happy to slaughter the rebels who he sees as western puppets. In the short term it would increase the death toll but no more than arming them for years will. There is little threat of that as it would be backed by a UN resolution once we can get Russia to abstain.

No idea.

ReputationRep:
    There is no peaceful resolution on the way, Assad has made it quite clear that he is happy to slaughter the rebels who he sees as western puppets. In the short term it would increase the death toll but no more than arming them for years will. There is little threat of that as it would be backed by a UN resolution once we can get Russia to abstain.

No idea.
    Why arm? What is an, apparent Syrian "revolution" got to do with us? As I see it we are fueling a war and then we want to intervene? I'd say we leave it to the people of Syria and unto a peaceful election.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why arm? What is an, apparent Syrian "revolution" got to do with us? As I see it we are fueling a war and then we want to intervene? I'd say we leave it to the people of Syria and unto a peaceful election.
    Because by the sounds of it your an isolationist. The world does not stop at our borders and you may not like the west acting as a police force but the world sure as hell needs it. Such complacency can be quite dangerous, we saw what happened when we left Germany to it in the 1930's (though i'm not suggesting WW3).

I personally believe that as a heavily armed nation which subscribes to the belief in human rights we have a moral duty to prevent atrocities and protect that most basic of liberties, the right to vote, Assad if he has not already will be charged with crimes against humanity and Russia will eventually back down at that point Syria will be taken within a month.

Providing them with weapons is the worst possible way to do it and just prolongs the fight, either we provide air support or we take the country (i prefer air support and special ops).

ReputationRep:
    Because by the sounds of it your an isolationist. The world does not stop at our borders and you may not like the west acting as a police force but the world sure as hell needs it. Such complacency can be quite dangerous, we saw what happened when we left Germany to it in the 1930's (though i'm not suggesting WW3).

I personally believe that as a heavily armed nation which subscribes to the belief in human rights we have a moral duty to prevent atrocities and protect that most basic of liberties, the right to vote, Assad if he has not already will be charged with crimes against humanity and Russia will eventually back down at that point Syria will be taken within a month.

Providing them with weapons is the worst possible way to do it and just prolongs the fight, either we provide air support or we take the country (i prefer air support and special ops).
    Surely this is still assuming that the civilians in this country would be better off with the "rebels" leading the country. This isn't simply a black and white case like it was in WW1 and WW2, if you were willing to provide some reason why we should be supporting the side with the radical islamists on it then I might agree with you.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    This is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Division! Clear the lobby!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.