Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Well not really. Populism is the deathof good government and populist parties by and large are the death of good politics.
    So good politics just suits the minorities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosscmullins)
    Surely a recall can make up the democratic deficit in a way, and i'm not sure populism is stupid, a populist society actually raises the most 'popular' issues that affect the majority.
    Populism, by its very nature, appeals to those who shout the loudest. In no sense does that make them automatically the majority; in fact, it seems more pertinent to consider them as a minority. A minority of people care enough about politics to say so, a minority of them care enough about politics as to shout, a minority of them care enough about politics to shout loudly. In the end, populism serves the few in the name of the many.

ReputationRep:
    So good politics just suits the minorities?
    See this is a difficult one to answer. The answer to what you have typed is yes. There's a pretty developed school of thought in policy-scholarship that policy-makers from Government downwards construct their own image of what populations are and what they need and craft politics accordingly. They identify certain groups which they believe should be benefited by policy for reasons such as need or the expected political return of helping them. This in turn causes/allows certain groups to become stronger than others. This causes them to be identified as having a greater need to be benefited etc. This is a cyclical situation.

However, what you typed is not a valid response to what you have quoted me as saying. This is because populism is not the same as doing what the majority wants or needs. Populism is making superficial politics that accords with the perceived wishes of a vocal minority and/or majority in society. However, populism does not represent politics made to address what this vocal minority/majority needs. So the answer to the question you think you're asking is no.

EDIT: Damn it, Adorno.

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: Damn it, Adorno.
    Yes, I know, I wrote the answer you gave before you and in 1/2 of the word count. I shouldn't worry, I'm supposed to be thick remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    I'm supposed to be thick remember.
    Seems to me that i'm the thick one.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I know, I wrote the answer you gave before you and in 1/2 of the word count. I shouldn't worry, I'm supposed to be thick remember.
    Well yes but I gave a better answer than you and I've only got one degree

ReputationRep:
    Well yes but I gave a better answer than you and I've only got one degree
    Practically two. I was never a fan of the stylistic constraints imposed on politics and government essays, still gives me goosebumps. Thank you R. L. Stine.

Heh, I wouldn't worry too much since many, many people confuse populism with politics for and by the majority. This is the problem with the relatively superficial political debate conducted in Western democracies these days. Since, as a population, we no longer engage in grassroots politics (whether in trades unions, political parties, or other forms of "committees"), we don't really notice the fact that it's mostly driven by a London-centric media which obsesses with the issues of Essex Man. That's fine if you're a grey-haired, 50-something with a 3-bed semi (with a worry why the only semi you can get is a house these days) who votes Tory but doesn't like the direction of society any more - this will be T&J in 30 years. It's not fine if you're anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Well I would imagine that we have you at a disadvantage in that Adorno has a PhD from Oxford and is a published author while I am currently doing an MA at KCL in which I am doing a large amount of research in to populism and had two journals which answered your question up in front of me when I clicked "see new posts". So it's not exactly a fair fight lol.

But continue contributing, all are welcome if they are calm and constructive about it.

ReputationRep:
    Well I would imagine that we have you at a disadvantage in that Adorno has a PhD from Oxford and is a published author while I am currently doing an MA at KCL in which I am doing a large amount of research in to populism and had two journals which answered your question up in front of me when I clicked "see new posts". So it's not exactly a fair fight lol.

But continue contributing, all are welcome if they are calm and constructive about it.
    Ah, thats made me feel a bit better, all the best to the pair of you

ReputationRep:
    Practically two. I was never a fan of the stylistic constraints imposed on politics and government essays, still gives me goosebumps. Thank you R. L. Stine.
    I hope that the companies I applied to work for last night take the same view of my academic qualifications. Applying for jobs without actually having gotten your grades yet (I'm aiming for a distinction, don't ya know) is an exercise in embellishment.

I personally lik the way that politics essays go. It's fun because writing politics style essays for a policy MA really irritates the lecturers but pushes up my grades because I go cross discipline.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thats made me feel a bit better, all the best to the pair of you
    Yeah it doesn't help that most populist politicians try very hard to appear to be giving people both what they need and what they want. But UKIP's manifesto is largely a slimmed down 1980s Tory one* with a fair few implementation gaps in it. So a lot of people are confused about this.

*IRL, not on TSR

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it doesn't help that most populist politicians try very hard to appear to be giving people both what they need and what they want. But UKIP's manifesto is largely a slimmed down 1980s Tory one with a fair few implementation gaps in it. So a lot of people are confused about this.
    Would you then say that is why UKIP have suddenly got so much support? All of the Thatcherites have decided that they're going to side with these traditional views?

ReputationRep:
    Would you then say that is why UKIP have suddenly got so much support? All of the Thatcherites have decided that they're going to side with these traditional views?
    Well I suppose you could make that argument but I wouldn't go that way personally.

ReputationRep:
    UKIP offer an outlet for a certain generation which feels disenfranchised by the activities of their successors. This is, yes, about Thatcherites but it's also about people who believed, as young people, the views of Enoch Powell and his like. It's about people who feel they lost the culture wars of the 1960s (even though they won the economic battles) and it's about people who follow that train of thought too - there are plenty here in this place. But, above all, it's about England and its own need to come to terms with nationalism and the fact that its political outlook is right-wing in a union that is softly left-wing.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobby!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.