Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE AQA English Lit - Conflict Poetry, Mr Pip, The Crucible - THE CRUCIBLE Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenAssirati)
    Eugh it did not go too badly, the question on The Crucible was fine, but that Mr Pip passage was just weird :O?

I will make a separate thread for Conflict poetry, along with predictions
    hi which Q did you do for the crucible?

ReputationRep:
    Hey :P I did the first one, the one on John and Elizabeth

ReputationRep:
    I didnt for some reason i misread the question so i did the second one it was silly because we learnt about the marriage but i think i did okay in the question even though i did the second one,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edmundnogueiro)
    I didnt for some reason i misread the question so i did the second one it was silly because we learnt about the marriage but i think i did okay in the question even though i did the second one,
    what did you write for the 2nd one??

ReputationRep:
    i guess it went kinda good, I tried to do original idea, and I mentioned your idea of the 'crucible' and their relationship being purified,much like the metal in the 'crucible'.once, the intense heat of the trials are applied.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good Here is the first part of the conflict poetry http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post42721136

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    what did you write for the 2nd one??

I wrote about how the ideas about Witch hunts were blown out of proportion I gave examples of how Rebecca nurse was accused and. How hale changed his mind on the whole with thing as well as writing about the way they
    dealt with the accused e.g murder or confession

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about how the ideas about Witch hunts were blown out of proportion I gave examples of how Rebecca nurse was accused and. How hale changed his mind on the whole with thing as well as writing about the way they
    dealt with the accused e.g murder or confession
    oh that seems good i thought the Q was a bit vague,i wrote about how Miller presents the witch hunts as ironic and the idea of people using the devil to hid behind as a facade and how the witch hunts were more sinful than any sin that happened, do you think that would be right? i wrote about characters like john,tituba..:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    oh that seems good i thought the Q was a bit vague,i wrote about how Miller presents the witch hunts as ironic and the idea of people using the devil to hid behind as a facade and how the witch hunts were more sinful than any sin that happened, do you think that would be right? i wrote about characters like john,tituba..:confused:
    yeah that makes sense i think its good to talk about the devil because it fits in with the themes...i guess we will both have to wait until august though

ReputationRep:
    yeah that makes sense i think its good to talk about the devil because it fits in with the themes...i guess we will both have to wait until august though
    yeh good luck anyway hopefully get some kind of credit for not picking the other Q, since everyone else did!!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    BUMP for this year's English cohort

ReputationRep:
    Appreciate the thread - really helped with answer structure. Is one of the question options guaranteed to be about a character? Is Danforth a likely person to come up?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! This is an incredibly informative as well as detailed thread! I just wanted to ask, how long do you say is one paragraph? Since you say to write at least six but that is quite a lot for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSweeting21)
    Appreciate the thread - really helped with answer structure. Is one of the question options guaranteed to be about a character? Is Danforth a likely person to come up?

Cheers!
    It isn't guaranteed, as setting, language, themes or an extract could possibly come up. Obviously, characters and relationships are massively important to know anyway, and can be brought up regardless of the question. And there is a high chance of a character or a pair (or a group) coming up, so its always safer to revise.

Danforth is a possibility. Obviously, rule out the characters who have come up in the last few years, and if he has not, he is on the same scale as Putnam or Abigail (again, check if they have come up).

(Original post by VankshiMishra)
    Thank you so much! This is an incredibly informative as well as detailed thread! I just wanted to ask, how long do you say is one paragraph? Since you say to write at least six but that is quite a lot for me.
    Cheers One paragraph can vary a bit, depending on your style. A very basic, bare-bones paragraph would be:

1 sentence making a point (WHICH LINKS TO THE QUESTION OR STATEMENT).
    1 sentence going into a little detail, possibly expanding your argument.
    1 sentence which gives evidence, preferably with short, embedded quotes (dont just write out a page from the text).
    1 sentence which explains the quotation, detailing what it means and why it is relevant (possibly linked with other ideas.)
    1 sentence which links it back to the question again, as well as possibly providing context or alternate interpretations.

Obviously this is a basic format, and would provide possibly a B grade if not expanded with multiple quotations, indepth analysis and relevant to the question. Personally I would possibly write a paragraph in between 8-15 lines depending on how much I want to say, or how much detail I can show, although I have been criticized for waffling on and not being concise. A perfect paragraph would probably be 8-10 lines, straight to the point with short, relevant quotations, clear and concise analysis, and short statements to show your knowledge and understanding of the context and the themes.

For someone who has nailed this idea, they could aim for 7-8 short, clear paragraphs. If you can only manage 5-6 however, it is not the end of the world, as you can still obtain top marks for showing knowledge of a range of ideas, and applying it to the text!

ReputationRep:
    Bump for this year

ReputationRep:
    Any good resources for Mr Pip?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Bump for this year
    Hey, what are your predictions for The Crucible this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE student 1)
    Hey, what are your predictions for The Crucible this year?
    It's not a good idea to listen to predictions because you then focus too much on that area, and can shoot yourself in the foot if the exam is on a different area. My advice is to look over the past 5 exam questions, find the areas that haven't been covered yet, and put more revision into those (whilst still revising the areas already covered - you never know).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    It's not a good idea to listen to predictions because you then focus too much on that area, and can shoot yourself in the foot if the exam is on a different area. My advice is to look over the past 5 exam questions, find the areas that haven't been covered yet, and put more revision into those (whilst still revising the areas already covered - you never know).
    That's very true. AQA have been known to throw in the odd curveball, I'm just praying to God that the putnams don't come up. How would you suggest answering this type of character question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE student 1)
    That's very true. AQA have been known to throw in the odd curveball, I'm just praying to God that the putnams don't come up. How would you suggest answering this type of character question?
    I included an example paragraph for character, but the main things you need to consider are; what does the character do/say, why does Miller have them do/say this (what is he trying to say), and what evidence do you have?

A short checklist is:

-Relationships
    -Dramatic role in plot
    -Contrasts with characters
    -Themes and ideas
    -Personality

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.