Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA S1B 17th May 2013 AM - Unofficial Markscheme Watch

ReputationRep:
    anyone got a copy of the question paper???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bleap)
    For the very last question, why was the answer not (1- the previous answer)^10 and also, how many marks would you expect me to lose for doing this method rather than the correct one as stated in the mark scheme?
    Because the previous answer is for 10, whereas this question asks for each, so you have to work out the probability for one then do it the power of 10.

Not sure on the number of marks though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t.adur)
    Refer to this thread, it's the third and fifth post

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...age=17&page=17

ReputationRep:
    does anyone remember what they put for 4biv?

ReputationRep:
    "2b) (3)"

"4ciii) y = 0.46 + 1.00(1)x (3; Answers of 0.6 for 'a' will be penalised)"

What's the answer to 2b? Also how many marks would you reckon they'll give if I put,
    y=0.6+1x

ReputationRep:
    There is another AQA ss1B thread (not labelled official mark scheme) and the whole paper appears on that. Can't remember which page of thread but it's quite a way in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theo3335796)
    Refer to this thread, it's the third and fifth post

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...age=17&page=17
    Urm I checked the whole thread, the questions aren't there...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Urm I checked the whole thread, the questions aren't there...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is a link to the actual post:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post42666664
    The questions are uploaded images of the paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gotzz)
    This is a link to the actual post:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post42666664
    The questions are uploaded images of the paper.
    ohh! thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jp1234)
    does anyone remember what they put for 4biv?
    An entire page of waffle with the main points being: likely to be accurate because r=0.98 and the actual value is similar to y=a+bx value

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceUpsb)
    An entire page of waffle with the main points being: likely to be accurate because r=0.98 and the actual value is similar to y=a+bx value

Sorry i meant 5biv, what did you get for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jp1234)
    Sorry i meant 5biv, what did you get for that?
    I really can't remember the value. While I was doing it though, I felt really confident when answering so if all is well I got the same value that this mark scheme says!

ReputationRep:
    For the Normal Distribution questions I thought you had to change them to <= because in the formula booklet it says that it gives the probably when the variable Z is "less than or equal to z." This means I lost some easy marks. For example, instead of plugging x = 425 in the formula I plugged in 424. I mean, if you use logic, you'll think that less than 425 means equal to or less than 424. Think about it, if something is less than 425, it's less than or equal to 424, right? Unfortunately, using logic doesn't work for the Normal Distribution
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by jp1302)
    "2b) (3)"... What's the answer to 2b?
    2b) Find the value for x when P(X<x) = 0.98 [with mean 421 and standard deviation 2.5]

Use the formula Z = [x-(Mean)] / Standard Deviation

So, 2.0537 = (x-421) / 2.5
    => x-421 = 5.13425
    => x = 426.13425 or 426.1 (to 1d.p.)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ferrari_1996)
    For the Normal Distribution questions I thought you had to change them to <= because in the formula booklet it says that it gives the probably when the variable Z is "less than or equal to z." This means I lost some easy marks. For example, instead of plugging x = 425 in the formula I plugged in 424. I mean, if you use logic, you'll think that less than 425 means equal to or less than 424. Think about it, if something is less than 425, it's less than or equal to 424, right? Unfortunately, using logic doesn't work for the Normal Distribution
    Normal Distributions use continuous data so that includes values such as 424.5 and 424.9999999999999999... that's why you need to use less than or equal to 425.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dingo749)
    Normal Distributions use continuous data so that includes values such as 424.5 and 424.9999999999999999... that's why you need to use less than or equal to 425.
    I see. Thanks for making me understand. If I only knew this during the exam

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the link to any worked solutions from this past paper?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.