The Student Room Group

Chemistry c2 unit 2 aqa monday gcse 20th new spec

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sa97
What would be the points for a 6-mark insoluble salt making question?

1) Mix ionic substances in solution
2) Filter/wash/dry precipitate to obtain salt.

Is there anything else??

Also what kind of things would they look for in a 6-mark electrolysis question?

Last year had a 6 marker on making salts. They wanted you to describe the steps you would take in an experiment to create a salt. E.g using universal indicator, stirring and bunsen burners
Original post by sa97
What would be the points for a 6-mark insoluble salt making question?

1) Mix ionic substances in solution
2) Filter/wash/dry precipitate to obtain salt.

Is there anything else??

Also what kind of things would they look for in a 6-mark electrolysis question?

Sort of points you could get in for soluble salt:

An Insoluble salt will not dissolve in solution, so the salt is formed as a precipitate. To Achieve Salt X (they'll name a salt in the question) you'll need to mix solution Y and Z together (names dependant on the salt you're trying to make). To obtain the precipitate you use a filter. The salt should then be washed with distilled water to remove the other soluble product. Finally, the salt can be dried in an oven.

That could be enough for six marks.

Points for electrolysis:

Question, describe the electrolysis of Brine and how its products can be used.

Brine is made up of sodium chloride and water. Chlorine moves towards the anode where is gives up an electron to form chlorine gas- insert relevant half equation. Chlorine gas can be used in the production of bleaches and plastics.

Hydrogen moves towards the cathode where it gains an electron to form hydrogen gas- insert relevant half equation. Hydrogen forms at the cathode rather than sodium as it is lower in the reactivity series (this is to do with electrode potential, essentially hydrogen is lower down in the reactivity series so it will be reduced and gain electrons rather than something higher up), Hydrogen gas can be used in Hydrogen fuel cells and in modified combustion engines.

A solution of Sodium Hydroxide is left, which is a useful component in making chemicals like soaps.

Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by Elm Tree
Last year had a 6 marker on making salts. They wanted you to describe the steps you would take in an experiment to create a salt. E.g using universal indicator, stirring and bunsen burners

Careful! That question was on soluble salts and not insoluble salts. Very Big difference in terms of production, if you cant remember i suggest you go back and revise...
Reply 23
Original post by sammann123
Careful! That question was on soluble salts and not insoluble salts. Very Big difference in terms of production, if you cant remember i suggest you go back and revise...

:lol:
You're right :smile: I need to brush up on how to make in/soluble salts. For some reason, I just can't seem to memorise it.. I'm fine with everything else though.
Reply 24

That was to make soluble salts, there are much fewer you could say for making insoluble ones, thanks for reminding me anyway.
Reply 25
Sort of points you could get in for soluble salt:

An Insoluble salt will not dissolve in solution, so the salt is formed as a precipitate. To Achieve Salt X (they'll name a salt in the question) you'll need to mix solution Y and Z together (names dependant on the salt you're trying to make). To obtain the precipitate you use a filter. The salt should then be washed with distilled water to remove the other soluble product. Finally, the salt can be dried in an oven.

That could be enough for six marks.

Points for electrolysis:

Question, describe the electrolysis of Brine and how its products can be used.

Brine is made up of sodium chloride and water. Chlorine moves towards the anode where is gives up an electron to form chlorine gas- insert relevant half equation. Chlorine gas can be used in the production of bleaches and plastics.

Hydrogen moves towards the cathode where it gains an electron to form hydrogen gas- insert relevant half equation. Hydrogen forms at the cathode rather than sodium as it is lower in the reactivity series (this is to do with electrode potential, essentially hydrogen is lower down in the reactivity series so it will be reduced and gain electrons rather than something higher up), Hydrogen gas can be used in Hydrogen fuel cells and in modified combustion engines.

A solution of Sodium Hydroxide is left, which is a useful component in making chemicals like soaps.

Hope this helps:smile:

Thanks alot! Please correct me if I'm wrong but for electrolysis of brine, the half equations are:

At negative electrode:
2H+ + 2e- --> H2

At positive electrode
2Cl- --> Cl2 + 2e-

The remaining OH- and Na+ ions which do not form at any electrode bond to form NaOH.
:lol:
You're right :smile: I need to brush up on how to make in/soluble salts. For some reason, I just can't seem to memorise it.. I'm fine with everything else though.

It's relatively simple once you get the main principles down! :smile:

Insoluble:

Acid+Metal>Salt+Hydrogen
Simply add excess metal until all has been used up, then filter metal off and crystallise salt.
Acid+Base>Salt+Water
Add excess base until all has been used up, then filter base off and crystallise salt.
Acid+Alkali>Salt+Water
This is a little more complicated, and I suggest you learn titration procedure, despite the fact its not officially on the spec it essentially links the information that they tell you in the text book together. In my text book it describes a basic titration but as a result it doesn't make much sense!

Soluble:

Basically just a precipitation reaction, where you mix two solutions together to form a precipitate of the desired salt. To obtain the salt, you filter, wash and then dry it. They tend to use the context of Water treatment with this one! So, obtaining calcium ions from water (which makes water hard) and using a carbonate to precipitate solid calcium carbonate ions that can be filtered away from the water supply.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sa97
Thanks alot! Please correct me if I'm wrong but for electrolysis of brine, the half equations are:

At negative electrode:
2H+ + 2e- --> H2

At positive electrode
2Cl- --> Cl2 + 2e-

The remaining OH- and Na+ ions which do not form at any electrode bond to form NaOH.

Perfect! So the hydroxide doesn't form at the electrode because it doesn't fit through the porous membrane, and the Sodium doesn't form at the cathode as it is higher up in the reactivity series than hydrogen (If you can understand that concept then you're well on your way to A level!).

Edit: one other point that could be worth remembering is that if the sodium and hydroxide is still in solution they don't officially bond together as such, in solution they just remain as ions :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
They're really not gonna ask a question on nano particles as the six mark question. Theres hardly enough detail in the text book for 5 solid separate points. It will come up in the paper almost certainly, but i doubt as the six marker.
Perfect! So the hydroxide doesn't form at the electrode because it doesn't fit through the porous membrane, and the Sodium doesn't form at the cathode as it is higher up in the reactivity series than hydrogen (If you can understand that concept then you're well on your way to A level!).

Edit: one other point that could be worth remembering is that if the sodium and hydroxide is still in solution they don't officially bond together as such, in solution they just remain as ions :smile:

Do you think we would need to be aware of membrane and diaphragm used during the electrolysis of brine ?
Does anyone know how to make salts from insoluble bases? And I mean the experiment....
Reply 31
They're really not gonna ask a question on nano particles as the six mark question. Theres hardly enough detail in the text book for 5 solid separate points. It will come up in the paper almost certainly, but i doubt as the six marker.

I think you're mistaken, there is plenty of points you can discuss about nano-particles and it may-be likely to pop up as the QWC.

An example question could be like: Discuss The advantages of nanoparticles:

They have huge surface area to volume ratio so they are suitable to make industrial catalysts.

You can use nano-particles as sensors to detect specific things such as a certain type of molecule

Nano-tubes can be used to create lighter and stronger building materials

New cosmetics such as sun creams/deodorants have been made using nano particles, they do their job but don't leave any white marks

Nano-medicine, the idea that tine fullerenes are absorbed better by the body than most particles, this means that they can deliver drugs to specific cells of the body (where they're needed)

New lubricant coatings made from fullerenes which reduce friction like ball bearings and could be used in all sorts of places from artificial joints and gears

Nano-tubes conduct electricity, so they can be used in very tiny electric circuits for computer chips

Reply 32
Maybe I have been unintentionally biased towards myself but I got 54/60 first time round on the June 2012 paper, I find C2 relatively easy compared to C3 just learning alot of content rather than challenging stuff like titration :smile:
Original post by cmorga1
Maybe I have been unintentionally biased towards myself but I got 54/60 first time round on the June 2012 paper, I find C2 relatively easy compared to C3 just learning alot of content rather than challenging stuff like titration :smile:

What do you find challenging about titrations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
It's managable just alot harder than say percentage yields from C2! :smile:
Original post by cmorga1
It's managable just alot harder than say percentage yields from C2! :smile:

As in the calculations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Can someone answer this please!!!

The salt called potassium chloride is made when potassium hydroxide solution reacts
with hydrochloric acid.

potassium hydroxide + hydrochloric acid = potassium chloride + water

Describe a method for making crystals of potassium chloride from potassium hydroxide solution and hydrochloric acid.

In this method you should:
describe how you will add the correct amount of the hydrochloric acid to neutralise the potassium hydroxide solution

describe how you will get crystals of potassium chloride.
Reply 37
Original post by BuddingAchiever
Does anyone know how to make salts from insoluble bases? And I mean the experiment....

Step 1: add insoluble base to acid. Warm gently on a tripod and gauze (do not boil).
Step 2: the solution changes colour as reaction occurs, showing the products forms. Excess products can be seen.
Step 3: when the reaction is complete, filter the solution to remove excess products.
Step 4: evaporate the water so that the salts start to form. Stop heating when you see the first salts appear at the edge of the solution. Then leave the rest of the water to evaporate slowly.
I hope this is what you were looking for!
Does anyone know where to find the Jan 13 C2 paper?!
Original post by Bballerjl
Step 1: add insoluble base to acid. Warm gently on a tripod and gauze (do not boil).
Step 2: the solution changes colour as reaction occurs, showing the products forms. Excess products can be seen.
Step 3: when the reaction is complete, filter the solution to remove excess products.
Step 4: evaporate the water so that the salts start to form. Stop heating when you see the first salts appear at the edge of the solution. Then leave the rest of the water to evaporate slowly.
I hope this is what you were looking for!

Thank yOu very much !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending