Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How could you not support gay parents from adopting? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eb1234)
    Just to play devil's advocate here for a minute: before the legalization of gay adoption anywhere, did anybody have any data on what a child's experience being raised by a homosexual couple would be? No, because for millions of year, only straight couples had children. Does nobody worry that these children are essentially part of a social experiment, the outcome of which nobody has any idea of at all?

It does amuse me when liberals will sit on a chat show like The Big Questions and they'll say platitudes like: 'all a child needs is love' to the sound of raucous applause. Is love all a child needs? Do we no what the effect of having two parents of the same gender will have on a child? Do we know whether this is important or not? The reality is we have absolutely no idea. And good luck trying to argue against that.
    Its even worse on TV shows where they literally make the person not for gay whatever look undesirable. Damn its just unoriginal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everything the OP said but if the child gets teased for having gay parents, don't you think that will leave a lasting psychological effect on the child? That can still be bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    Kid I went to school with had 2 lesbian mums, got bullied the **** out of and hanged himself.

So from my view, that's why. I can't imagine how much worse the bullying would've been if he'd have had 2 gay dads.
    Several decades ago a child would have been abused for being born outside of wedlock. That shows that there's a problem with society that needs to be fixed, not the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    Just to play devil's advocate here for a minute: before the legalization of gay adoption anywhere, did anybody have any data on what a child's experience being raised by a homosexual couple would be? No, because for millions of year, only straight couples had children. Does nobody worry that these children are essentially part of a social experiment, the outcome of which nobody has any idea of at all?

It does amuse me when liberals will sit on a chat show like The Big Questions and they'll say platitudes like: 'all a child needs is love' to the sound of raucous applause. Is love all a child needs? Do we no what the effect of having two parents of the same gender will have on a child? Do we know whether this is important or not? The reality is we have absolutely no idea. And good luck trying to argue against that.
    Yes, a lot of research has been done into this issue here are a few:

Study by various US organisations that deal with psychology and sociology which was presented as evidence in a Californian court:
    Here

Study by various people specalising in childrens wellbeing:
    Here

UoC social science paper:
    Here

To be honest you don't need me to link you these, they are readily available. There are literally thousands of peer reviewed papers that all come to the same conclusion, that the concept a child needs a mother and father exclusively for healthy development is a myth with no basis in reality and there is no evidence whatsoever that a gay couple would cause negative mental effects on a child they raise. And stop saying "liberals" like they are the only ones who would support this, anyone who values logic and rational thinking over stupid religious mythology should support this as there is literally no rational argument against it.

ReputationRep:
    Parents should be MAN and WOMAN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)
    I agree with everything the OP said but if the child gets teased for having gay parents, don't you think that will leave a lasting psychological effect on the child? That can still be bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Children will be bullying for anything and everything, though I understand the concern for the most part you can't protect children from the inevitable teasing for whatever reason. If they're not bullied for having gay parents they'll be bullied for being in care, if it's not for being in care it'll be for being short or ugly or because they wear glasses or because they have ginger hair or they like certain music. I think th stance that they will be bullied for having gay parents is not a good enough one, if you use that excuse then you may as well put children in a bubble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoTown200)
    Or man or woman? (Single parents). In which case why not 2 men and 2 women.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was just about to comment that myself :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    Yes, a lot of research has been done into this issue here are a few:

Study by various US organisations that deal with psychology and sociology which was presented as evidence in a Californian court:
    Here

Study by various people specalising in childrens wellbeing:
    Here

UoC social science paper:
    Here

To be honest you don't need me to link you these, they are readily available. There are literally thousands of peer reviewed papers that all come to the same conclusion, that the concept a child needs a mother and father exclusively for healthy development is a myth with no basis in reality and there is no evidence whatsoever that a gay couple would cause negative mental effects on a child they raise. And stop saying "liberals" like they are the only ones who would support this, anyone who values logic and rational thinking over stupid religious mythology should support this as there is literally no rational argument against it.
    Do we know what the long term effects of legalising gay adoption are though? Which country has the longest history of legal gay adoption? I'm not trying to argue with you here, I honestly don't know what the answers to those questions are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    Kid I went to school with had 2 lesbian mums, got bullied the **** out of and hanged himself.

So from my view, that's why. I can't imagine how much worse the bullying would've been if he'd have had 2 gay dads.
    If that's true that's actually really sad.

That's the only issue in my opinion, the adopted child getting bullied because of the same sex parents. I feel that the fact that a couple is gay should not affect whether they should be able to adopt a child or not, but you have got to see this from the child's point of view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eljamaispa)
    Or man or woman? (Single parents). In which case why not 2 men and 2 women.

Posted from TSR Mobile

NO, the poor kid is going to be psychologically scarred. It's not natural.
    What a dysfunctional and confused adult that kid is going to be!

People are not going to accept it, the kids will bully them and they are going to be damaged goods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesMartinez)
    If that's true that's actually really sad.

That's the only issue in my opinion, is the adopted child getting bullied because of the same sex parents. I feel that the fact that a couple is gay should not affect whether they should be able to adopt a child or not, but you have got to see this from the child's point of view.
    Yeah it's horrible. I guess at that young age (15/16) it was quite cool to pick on and bully people for anything and he was an easy target. As said, I dread to think how much worse the bullying would be if he had 2 gay dads. I went to an all boys school so there was quite a heavy anti-gay attitude anyway.

So that's why I find it hard to accept... That's the only experience on this issue that I've had and it was a heavily negative one. Some people have never seen it from that side, so that's all I've got to judge my views on. Terrible really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Of course it won't cause miracles, but it makes more sense that a child in the attention of two adults who have gone through the long process of child adoption will more likely provide a better enviroment than one that is of many neglected children living together in an enviroment that is statistically proven to not be a very good one.
    You can easily say that about straight couples adopting as well.

ReputationRep:
    I personally am not in favour of either gay marriage or adoption, but to be fair, heterosexuals have done so much to undermine marriage and traditional family over the past 60 years, I always feel like a bit of a ninny arguing against those things.

ReputationRep:
    Do we know what the long term effects of legalising gay adoption are though? Which country has the longest history of legal gay adoption? I'm not trying to argue with you here, I honestly don't know what the answers to those questions are.
    Canada was the first in 1999 however there are a number of people who have been raised by gay people before that for instance Zach Wahls who gave a very impassioned speech during a public forum about resolution 6 which if it was passed would have banned civil unions for gay people. People being raised by gay people does actually go back pretty far, for instance Alexander Aegus who was the son of Alexander the Great was raised by his grandfather and his gay lover after his parents were killed.

Presumably the long term effects of gay adoption being legalized is the same as the long term effects of gay people raising kids of which there is no evidence it is any different in regards to the short and long term welfare of a child than straight parents or single parents raising a child. I mean gay adoption has been legal in England for over 11 years and there has been no concerns or evidence that even suggests the children that have been adopted are suffering ill effects because of the gender of their parents. It is certainly better than the alternative which is the kids remaining in care as there are countless papers showing kids in care are more likely to turn to crime, become teenage parents, get hooked on drugs, end up in jail and generally have a crappy life.

ReputationRep:
    The care system is horrific. But why is nobody asking questions like: what sort of families are children in care being born into? How do we strengthen those families? Do we have a system where anyone can now get pregnant and the state will foot the bill, replacing the role of a father figure?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    There was a 25 year study of lesbian couples raising children. I don't know if someone posted that or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    You can easily say that about straight couples adopting as well.
    I know... I'm not opposed to straight couples from adopting. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoTown200)
    It's nice to see someone not reading my original post and then thinking they're going to make an amazing contribution to this thread debate by using large words, a bit like a man who just shouts really loud because he thinks that's the most intelligent way to debate.

If you can handle it, read my original post. Oh and seeing as you like large letters:

I didn't say parents shouldn't be MAN and WOMAN, I said this isn't feasibly possible for all children living in care, and if you really are naive and homophobic enough to see gay adpotion as 'evil', it is by far the 'lesser of two evils'.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Just to play devil's advocate here for a minute: before the legalization of gay adoption anywhere, did anybody have any data on what a child's experience being raised by a homosexual couple would be? No.
    Yes actually, the internet is full of it.

You do realise thatbeing didn't only recently start turning gay and that gay people can have children too...
    For instance, (I don't know if you watched Friends), but Ross' wife was a lesbian:

In addition, the UK wasn't the first place to legalise gay marriage. For instance, it was legal in some areas of Canada since 1999.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.