Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NOSE JOB (Rhinoplasty) on the NHS. Desperate :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd be surprised if the NHS offered rhinoplasty for anything apart from deviated septum and saddle nose and things like that, or if it was so broken you couldn't breathe out of it. Surgery costs a lot.
    And even if you could, there's so much red tape surrounding surgical procedures on the NHS that you may as well learn to get over it. Counselling for depression and body dysmorphia would be covered.

Cosmetic rhinoplasty costs upwards of £2000 depending on how good it is (thats probably a huge Underestimate). It's a painful and scary process and only so much can be done before risking bigger problems than a bump on a nose.

Have a think before you change your body.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its not that hard iv had 2 on the nhs

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    But your right it does hurt like hell and mine was broken sooo good enough reason i guess was also told told that my surgeries cost 16k total amount.hey least i got some of that tax back iv paid all these years and it changed my life for the better that in my opinion is a should be to everyone priceless

(Original post by Luke218)
    Nose job on the nhs I had one well two actually had a big hump deviated septum hated hated hated it for about 4 years after breaking it.went to gp he sent me to e.n.t saw consultant told him I hated it and couldn't breath said septorhinoplasty no problem 6 weeks later job done looked fantastic .6 years later went back to gp told him I don't like this nose job he said ok il refer you to e.n.t consultant had a look said ok Weil do a revision 2 week later job done worse decision of my life made the beautiful job he did before look worse i shouldn't have had 2 na I wanting a third to correct it. My point is dont get addicted and a nose job on the nhs is very possible if you can't breathe had it broke or it effects your day to day life p.s its very very painful
    1st one was indicated for breathing difficulties.
    second one they should have told you where to go.

Nowadays they are much more strict about rhinoplasty on NHS.

I can quote and spell lavender blue just ipad is abit wack and actually they do I am a 5 th year registrar in e.n.t iv seen just from a rhinoplasty septorhinoplasty tipoplasty how they say people's quality of life has changed so much unfortunately in this day and people are judged from how they look social status etc it can really effect someone's quality of life the nhs knows this.plus no lactic surgery I.e nose jobs rhinology boob jobs tummy tucks then their is hardly any need for plastic surgeons on the nhs so more jobs would be lost its a vicious circle
    "I can quote and spell lavender blue just ipad is abit wack and actually they do I am a 5 th year registrar in e.n.t"

Of course you are.
    You are simply joining a student forum in your mid thirties whilst in full time employment to improve your english skills I presume

ReputationRep:
    The issue isn't really your nose, it's that you think appearance is so important that people are going to reject you on the pure basis of your appearance, even if the evidence is that they really like you. I'm not saying you're vain or superficial - a fear of not looking attractive can cause serious issues including depression just like any serious fear. Whilst a rhinoplasty will fix your nose it isn't going to fix your fear of not being attractive/being rejected and ultimately it will probably just continue to surface in other ways.

I used to get bullied at school due to severe allergies that made me sneeze pretty much all day. No medications worked and they still don't. Now when my boyfriend thinks it's funny sometimes to say "achoo" every time I sneeze, I have this momentary fear that he's serious and that I'm less attractive to him because of my sneezing. But really I'm just having the reaction that I was taught to have at school by immature and mean teenagers. I'm now a mature adult, as are the people around me, thankfully living in a world where people don't expect each other to look and be perfect and bring each other down, and I have to remind myself of that.

Maybe you need to think back to past experiences you've had to figure out why you think everybody is going to reject you when all the evidence says that they really like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollie-)
    Hello,

I'm 19 and my nose is very big and I have a bump. I'm happy with the rest of me, I like my body, hair, teeth, everything else. However, my nose is making me depressed. I refuse to go out, I refuse to go on dates, I refuse to have pictures taken. It makes me feel worse than everyone else. And it's not just one of those things that we don't like about ourselves but have to accept it - I'm becoming very obsessed with it.

For example, whenever someone asks me for a lift, I make up excuses. And it's not because I don't want to do them a favour, but I CAN'T STAND someone sitting next to me in a car and looking at my profile.

Also, when I got with my (now ex) boyfriend, I REFUSED to be introduced to his friends and family for months because I thought they wouldnt accept me... because of my nose. I realise how stupid this sounds, and obviously I personally would not dislike someone because of their looks, but it's just constantly in my head, and even though I keep telling myself I should accept it, i just cant. IMPOSSIBLE.

Whenever I mention it to my friends they seem to brush it off and not take it seriously. I spend almost every night crying myself to sleep about it. Not accepting yourself is probably one of the worst things - worse than others not accepting you. I've decided I want a nose job, and my family agreed I should have it done because they see how unhappy it makes me. However, I'm a uni student and I cannot afford it. Apparently you can get it on the NHS, but does anyone know if I have any chances of actually qualifying for it? Where do I even start?

PS. I'm not a spoilt little girl, this is honestly ruining my life by making me so self conscious. I hate living like this. So if you want to criticize me because I want to get it for "free", please don't. I'm living in self created hell.

PS2. I've tried just accepting myself. It's not working
    People on here seem to be suggesting that you go through the motions of CBT/counselling/whatever and lie (about breathing) to get an operation. I actually think CBT could be very useful and would speak to your GP about it. You may find that with real, professional, help that you can feel differently about your nose. I completely understand that you may feel you have tried but proper counselling is a different kettle of fish to "just" really really wanting to feel differently about something.

Rhinoplasty is a big deal, it can cause problems in later life or you may find you turn your attentions to another aspect of your life/body or even that you still do not like your nose. I am sure you can see that liking your nose would be the best scenario here (no matter how unlikely you might think it is) and I would hope you would try every avenue to pursue this.

ReputationRep:
    1st one was for breathing second was because it dint work this was like 9 months ago to the person that posted this it just seems the info your getting off these people is wrong its not hard at all try realself website lot better info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    People who have cosmetic surgery on the NHS disgust me. There are hundreds of actually ill people who have to wait years for vital operations yet you want them to fix your nose which has no health benefits whatsoever. You need counselling, not a new nose. Stop blaming all your problems on it and get real.
    Not saying the nhs should give her a nose job, but tonnes of people get braces on the nhs purely for cosmetic reasons and no one bats an eyelid ... In fact it's normally encouraged.

Personally I think it's strange that my parents were really keen for my teeth to be straightened out at the age of 11, but if I so much as mention that I wouldn't mind my crooked nose straightening out, they act like I'm the vainest person in the world. It's really very odd how crooked teeth are somehow seen as the exception to the 'accept yourself as you are' mantra people love to parrot.

I digress...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm 19 and my nose is very big and I have a bump. I'm happy with the rest of me, I like my body, hair, teeth, everything else. However, my nose is making me depressed. I refuse to go out, I refuse to go on dates, I refuse to have pictures taken. It makes me feel worse than everyone else. And it's not just one of those things that we don't like about ourselves but have to accept it - I'm becoming very obsessed with it.

For example, whenever someone asks me for a lift, I make up excuses. And it's not because I don't want to do them a favour, but I CAN'T STAND someone sitting next to me in a car and looking at my profile.

Also, when I got with my (now ex) boyfriend, I REFUSED to be introduced to his friends and family for months because I thought they wouldnt accept me... because of my nose. I realise how stupid this sounds, and obviously I personally would not dislike someone because of their looks, but it's just constantly in my head, and even though I keep telling myself I should accept it, i just cant. IMPOSSIBLE.

Whenever I mention it to my friends they seem to brush it off and not take it seriously. I spend almost every night crying myself to sleep about it. Not accepting yourself is probably one of the worst things - worse than others not accepting you. I've decided I want a nose job, and my family agreed I should have it done because they see how unhappy it makes me. However, I'm a uni student and I cannot afford it. Apparently you can get it on the NHS, but does anyone know if I have any chances of actually qualifying for it? Where do I even start?

PS. I'm not a spoilt little girl, this is honestly ruining my life by making me so self conscious. I hate living like this. So if you want to criticize me because I want to get it for "free", please don't. I'm living in self created hell.

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with this. Have you spoken to your GP about this? It seems like it is really getting you down, maybe something like counselling or therapy would help you cope with this better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I know what it's like to have your nose control your life. I used to be like that with mine. I wouldn't let people see me from certain angles, used to walk around with my hand over my nose, etc. I was extremely self conscious about it for years and years.

I might be having a nose job within the next month, and I'm paying - or rather, my parents are, because they know how long I have agonised over my nose for.

I don't think it's fair that you should get it done on the NHS. If my parents are forking out to pay for mine, and believe me, my parents are not remotely wealthy, then yours should too. :dontknow:
    Look, normally i would judge you and say 'why can't you just be happy' but then, i realize how judgemental people are, how it effects your mood when you look in the mirror, how it might effect getting the guy you want and in turn, your entire life in the way.

I still wouldn't recommend going ahead with this, but i'm not you or have to deal with what you have to deal with.

You told me not to use a harmless and rather healthy method to lighten my eyes by the way.

(Original post by scapepower)
    Look, normally i would judge you and say 'why can't you just be happy' but then, i realize how judgemental people are, how it effects your mood when you look in the mirror, how it might effect getting the guy you want and in turn, your entire life in the way.

I still wouldn't recommend going ahead with this, but i'm not you or have to deal with what you have to deal with.

You told me not to use a harmless and rather healthy method to lighten my eyes by the way.
    I chickened out of doing it... I'm stuck with an ugly nose for uni now. Oh well

Eye colour is completely different... it sounded dangerous what you were trying to do :erm:

ReputationRep:
    How did you get a boyfriend whilst refusing to go on dates or be seen in public?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry it's affecting you this much. I too have an ugly nose. From the front it looks fine but from the side I HATE it so much. I don't think I'd ever get a nose job though simply because if someone finds me attractive, they find me attractive for how I really look. Obviously in your case it's making you extremely unhappy, it also makes me very unhappy too but I can't change mine so that just sucks.

I suggest doing make up tricks or getting therapy until you can afford it (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nose job from the taxpayer? Get real.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am due to have my nose done on the nhs as I snore and have a bump in my nose. I know of 2 other people in my area who have had it done just to remove the bump. I have only had to wait 1year . Just go for it if it makes you unhappy. Tell the doctor you snore! Some people may think its not acceptable to have it on the nhs but what about all the obese people wno are a burden to the nhs? Should they be treated? What about people who smoke? Should they be refused cancer treatment? Make a doctors appointment and start the process. Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    i have a large nose, it was broken as a child by my mothers abusive ex. I'm also half blind, so every day i have to see that big old lump in the corner of my eye reminding me every day of what i went through. I hate it so much, and would like to have it done, just so its straight, but I will pay for it myself if I have the money spare, but I'm sure I will always find an excuse not to do it. I do have serious psychological problems already, but because of the aesthetic look of my nose and the connection it has to the abuse I received I am reminded constantly, instead of moving on. I guess my point is that a big nose may not be the cause of any kind of mental health problems, but it really doesn't help.
    But pay for it yourself, because I've seen articles about women with 'low confidence' getting boob jobs from a B to an E (ffs) while a five month year old kid cant have surgery to re-shape her head after a defect. thats when it gets disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    I totally understand how you feel, I'm 18 years old, so I don't understand how I can even afford to get a nose job. I can't get finance until I'm 21, just the thought of me waiting 3 years until my nose job if I can even afford to pay monthly is a depressing thought, some people just don't understand how things like this affect people they just think we are vain, I'm not going to lie I can be vain like I like the rest of me and all I just think this one thing just let's me down, my mum said she can try and lend me the money for the nose Job, which I will obviously pay back, but unless it's a life threatening the NHS aren't going to do anything for you, so all you can do is save or wait until you get finance! All I just want to have is a nose job so I can finally be happy and I know how you feel about living in hell and I feel the same I even cry while looking in the mirror sometimes or having major moods swings...which I don't mean to have I just get so frustrated! But good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

No offense but, I defiantly DO NOT want my taxes going towards peoples nose jobs because theyre insecure. This is a person non life threatening issue so go to a private plastic surgeon.

Lavender blue sky go break your nose and then tell me it doesn't have any health benefits plus ppl actually commit suicide due to the way they look so actually a nose job could be a life saving operation.plus the nhs would not do it if it had no benefits at all I think your comment is discussing frankly you just don't understand
    "plus the nhs would not do it if it had no benefits at all"

You are ABSOLUTELY right!!!

Which is why they DON'T do it anymore unless it is causing significant breathing difficulties (and not just snoring a bit)

For similar reasons they have mostly stopped funding varicose veins removal.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.