Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think Farage's Scotland visit was ill-judged? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Which is where I think UKIP may be able to make ground, and annoy the SNP by being seen as another protest vote that will only weaken the SNPs support.
    UKIP will have to become very, very different if they want to tap into Scotland. Their England-centric image is for the most part correct, they're not diverse at all despite their claims. As a protest vote in England sure, but outside it no.

They'll remain a protest party anyway meaning come 2015 they'll be forgotten about again, bar extreme circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pembleton)
    The interviewer asked perfectly legitimate questions. If you're going to stump for votes in Scotland then it's fair you should be asked questions about Scottish politics. I thought UKIP welcomed tough questions.
    I disagree. Not only were his questions frivilous and aggressive, they were simply repeated in a different form several times.

It is more left wing
    It really isn't significantly. As I've said in other threads, there have been extensive polls carried out on political attitudes in Scotland across numerous issues and the different is statistically insignificant.

Scotland is more open to immigration in the way England, Wales, NI aren't.
    Because it hasn't had any significant immigration outside (very arguably) Glasgow it is not as much of an issue. But UKIP are not about immigration, they're about the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I disagree. Not only were his questions frivilous and aggressive, they were simply repeated in a different form several times.

It really isn't significantly. As I've said in other threads, there have been extensive polls carried out on political attitudes in Scotland across numerous issues and the different is statistically insignificant.

Because it hasn't had any significant immigration outside (very arguably) Glasgow it is not as much of an issue. But UKIP are not about immigration, they're about the EU.
    Do you have that polling information, I'd be interested in looking at it if you could direct me to it?

UKIP focus on issues like immigration a lot as part of their populist credentials.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have that polling information, I'd be interested in looking at it if you could direct me to it?

UKIP focus on issues like immigration a lot as part of their populist credentials.
    Because non of the other political partys go for populist policies? That's how they get voted in. Labour get's voted in by giving away free stuff in an unsustainable manner. The SNP is following suite by trying to bribe the electorate, Lib Dems just take an arrogant attitude of 'trust us you wont understand it' and the Torys offer populist policies to their supporters.

Immigration is a huge concern for many people, especially in the current economic environment.

ReputationRep:
    Because non of the other political partys go for populist policies? That's how they get voted in. Labour get's voted in by giving away free stuff in an unsustainable manner. The SNP is following suite by trying to bribe the electorate, Lib Dems just take an arrogant attitude of 'trust us you wont understand it' and the Torys offer populist policies to their supporters.

Immigration is a huge concern for many people, especially in the current economic environment.
    I didn't say that. However Labour and the Tories make unpopular decisions when in govt, stick by them at elections, especially mid-term local ones, and get booted out. Now the same is true of the LDs. UKIP is a party almost entirely made up of populist policies if you actually read their manifesto. Which is fine for them I guess.

I didn't say immigration wasn't a huge concern for people, I said they focused on it more than they did on issues like education and healthcare for example, because its part of the issues and rhetoric their supporters like to hear.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say that. However Labour and the Tories make unpopular decisions when in govt, stick by them at elections, especially mid-term local ones, and get booted out. Now the same is true of the LDs. UKIP is a party almost entirely made up of populist policies if you actually read their manifesto. Which is fine for them I guess.

I didn't say immigration wasn't a huge concern for people, I said they focused on it more than they did on issues like education and healthcare for example, because its part of the issues and rhetoric their supporters like to hear.
    I don't want to come across as going on about immgration, but it is key issue. UKIP d hoever seem to have Education policies which they do talk about. But realisticaly and truthfull, are their any education poliies that are fundamentally different between the man parties? Or health issues?

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to come across as going on about immgration, but it is key issue. UKIP d hoever seem to have Education policies which they do talk about. But realisticaly and truthfull, are their any education poliies that are fundamentally different between the man parties? Or health issues?
    Well it's a key issue for some, not for others. UKIP do have education policies I'm sure but their rhetoric and focus is centred on populist issues rather than those which appeal to what most would describe as the average voter-jobs, education, economy, healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's a key issue for some, not for others. UKIP do have education policies I'm sure but their rhetoric and focus is centred on populist issues rather than those which appeal to what most would describe as the average voter-jobs, education, economy, healthcare.
    That's very true, but as a society man people have differing needs. Although there's huge holes in UKIPs manifesto though, they do have ticks in the boxes for all of those issues.

ReputationRep:
    That's very true, but as a society man people have differing needs. Although there's huge holes in UKIPs manifesto though, they do have ticks in the boxes for all of those issues.
    Yes, that's my point. They satisfy the needs of their members and base, but not that of other floating voters which I don't think they'll reach great prominence.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't particularly like him but I have to admit he's the one who came out of it best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    No, I don't particularly like him but I have to admit he's the one who came out of it best.
    I'd agree, the main political parties up here have bashed him, so has the BBC, but he does have a certain appeal. Shouty rent a mobs do have a habit of backfiring against their main aims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Farage didn't call the SNP fascists, he called some within the Nationalist movement fascistic. Which is, in fact, very true - the fringe nationalist organisations, like the ones that organised this protest, are very close to it.

Having had racist and vile chants thrown at you just hours before, I don't think anyone would be particularly in the mood to humour a BBC Radio Scotland presenter who appeared to be pushing the same rubbish agenda as the protesters. Interestingly, the interview was recorded in the evening after all this, it wasn't live when it was broadcast the next morning.

This stuff about Scotland being naturally left wing is a myth. UKIP doesn't do too well in Scotland because we already have a populist nationalist party cornering that sort of nutter market. Can it do well here? Yes, potentially - and that's why the SNP are terrified. Particularly after the referendum next year. I doubt they'll get one of our six MEPs in the Euro elections, but they'll definitely improve their vote share, I'd guess.

To prove its democratic, non-fascist credentials, the anti-Scottish movement 'Better Together' must immediately end its refusal of UKIP joining it.

To show those "fringe nationalist organisations", who according to L i b are 'very close to the SNP', what freedom and democracy means, 'Better Together' should immediately invite Mr Farage to come to Scotland to speak at its next anti-Independence meeting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths Tutor)
    To prove its democratic, non-fascist credentials, the anti-Scottish movement 'Better Together' must immediately end its refusal of UKIP joining it.

To show those "fringe nationalist organisations", who according to L i b are 'very close to the SNP', what freedom and democracy means, 'Better Together' should immediately invite Mr Farage to come to Scotland to speak at its next anti-Independence meeting.
    You are Peter Dow and I claim my £5.

http://scot.tk/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.