Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsfdsfdsf)
    It's about time he won some awards as well, this might just be his breakthrough, haha.
    Yeah! Hahaha, bless him x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I read it a few months a go but, I was hugely disappointed. To be honest I am generally not a big fan of any sort of American Literature since i read Of Mice and Men... Oh God I hate that novella!

I did enjoy the novel The Great Gatsby, but I thought it was weak in terms of plots and found it difficult in a way that it quite jumps around a lot which I found annoying too.

Personally I I just don't see the aesthetic greatness it is and I really, personally wouldn't consider the weak short novel a 'classic'.

Excited to see the film though. I really hope DiCaprio gets his so long-yearned Oscar for this film. He deserves it!

ReputationRep:
    "The Great Gatsby was not a piece of social history and we don’t read it today with a bewildered look of awe on our face, shaking our head as we marvel at “those funny folks from the 1920s and their strange, yet highly marketable ways”. We still respond to Gatsby because it’s a great novel and because it showed us a world that, in many ways, became ours."

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-g..._source=vicefb

Interesting article about how similar Fitzgerald's world of the 1920s is to our own 21st century one, and therefore why Gatsby is so enduring.

ReputationRep:
    Gatsby is one of his more enjoyable novels but I could not finish This Side of Paradise - it is very dull and self-conscious. He's no Orwell, let's put it that way.

ReputationRep:
    I can see why it's stuck around for so long but I can agree that it's not really worth all the hype I think a lot of people are just jumping on the band wagon reallly
    But yeah Leonardo DiCaprio woop!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think Fitzgerald's life and death were far more interesting than anything that he ever wrote down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.