Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No fights in a relationship Watch

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Different couples have different styles. Me and my boyfriend don't really argue/fight, we talk things through. We've been together 4 years, so I can't take anybody seriously who says you need to argue or that not doing so signifies an "unhealthy" relationship.

I think some couples find shouting and arguing cathartic, the drama adds excitement, and as it is their "norm" it doesn't cause great distress. It doesn't affect them or their relationship in the way it might affect others.

My parents argued and fought a lot where I was growing up. It wasn't cathartic though, it was distressing and never got anyone anywhere. I wouldn't want to repeat that. Having acted as a sort of counselor for diffusing my parents' arguments over many years, I'm very competent at avoiding an escalation/argument and being a diplomat. I'm not a pushover but shouting and having this big argument drama, I just couldn't deal with that in a relationship. I will always go for remaining calm and talking and listening to one another. My boyfriend is the same, he prefers peace!
    I'm quite similar - I grew up with very argumentative parents (who eventually divorced) which has instilled in me a very low tolerance for people who create drama/start arguments. So first of all, I'm very unlikely to get into a friendship/relationship with someone who has that can of personality and secondly if some one ever does raise their voice at me or take a certain kind or tone - I just refuse to rise to the bait. I just walk away from it. I'm not a push over - I've just had to listen to way too many arguments in my life that I just refuse to engage in it. So yeah, I think it's possible for a couple to not argue - it's healthy to have disagreements but you can discuss them without having massive arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reapingunicorn32)
    I think that's strange though. How often do you speak to or see each other? I'd be a bit suspicious. If you have no problems then fair enough but try talking to your other half and see if they have any issues they would like to address as no one likes to hold anything back. Just do that so then you both know that if there are any problems then it can easily be sorted out. . Hope I helped a tad
    We see each other more or less daily, except when one of us is away. We don't live very far apart, have similar timetables, hang out at the same places on campus, are in the same clubs, even work on a creative team together. (I suppose its good that we don't argue haha, there would be little opportunity to get any space). Whenever I do have any issues he usually either tries to resolve them straight away or they're trivial enough that I can dismiss them. I try to do the same for him. Thanks though, I'll try and be on the watch for anything.

ReputationRep:
    It's good that you don't argue! Every relationship is different and you shouldn't feel odd because you don't argue. I personally love a good argument. The making up is always the best part. :perv:

ReputationRep:
    Wow I'm so jealous! My boyfriend and I argue about once a week. I don't know a single couple that have never argued!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickyJWatkinson)
    My boyfriend and I have been together nearly two years, never had an argument - again, I don't think it's because we 'don't communicate' or bottle up our feelings, we're just good at discussing any issues that arise calmly. That said, there aren't really any issues to discuss most of the time - we're still young (19), I'm on a gap year and he's doing a foundation degree, we still live near each other and see each other at least once a week, neither of us has trust issues and I can't really think of anything that we could argue about, if that makes sense? Like, neither of us is the kind of person to flirt with other people or not put the effort in to meet up, and it's not like there's much else to fight about at this age...
    This is what things are like with me and my boy We're both young as well-I'm in first year at uni and he's in 4th year, but we're both comfortable enough with each other to talk about things calmly. We don't see the need to argue.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.