The Student Room Group

Official WJEC English Literature GCSE Exams - 20th and 23rd May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quantaˌ
My school's doing To Kill A Mockingbird...

Where can you get essay questions? There's only two past papers on the WJEC website.

I'm doing that!!! Any characters that might come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by THEMathlete
I'm doing that!!! Any characters that might come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would revise all the main characters: Atticus, Jem, Scout, etc.

I'm not sure what will come up, to be honest...
Reply 22
I have the Of Mice and Men and Poetry exam tomorrow! I have revised about 45/50 quotes however, I'm not sure who and what might come up. What are your predictions? Also for the poetry, if you don't understand two poems, how do you get through it? I'm predicted A's in the exams and I'm so nervous as I know I won't get it!
Reply 23
I was predicted A* for the English lit exams and also got A* for the English lit controlled assessment which is worth 25% of the grade:smile: There's no need to be worried! For the essays you just need to know an overall of the book and a few quotes (maybe 6 or 7), the examiners are not looking for a quote for every point as they understand students will be unable to memorize a whole book. For the poetry it comes down to your analyzing skills, go on google and search how to do this, I am sure it will be helpful :smile:
Original post by Quantaˌ
I would revise all the main characters: Atticus, Jem, Scout, etc.

I'm not sure what will come up, to be honest...

Okay :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
do we need to do a personal response for the essays?
Original post by krimz
http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?subject=53&level=7&list=paper - There's far more than 2 :P. I received most of the past papers from my school, maybe you should email your English teacher if you're desperate for some? What are your other two texts? I've got An Inspector Calls and About a Boy.

Exact same as me!
Reply 27
Original post by krimz
http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?subject=53&level=7&list=paper - There's far more than 2 :P. I received most of the past papers from my school, maybe you should email your English teacher if you're desperate for some? What are your other two texts? I've got An Inspector Calls and About a Boy.

The other two texts are A View From A Bridge and Lord of The Flies.

There's only two papers on the website: I'm only doing English 1 Unit 1 and English 2 Unit 2B. So, only two papers for the first unit. I've emailed my teacher but they haven't replied. I doubt they check their emails on the weekend...
Reply 28
I have my English Literature Poetry exam tomorrow, and I have been revising as many poems and techniques as I can, but would just like some more advice on which poems have a more likelihood of coming up (this is for the higher paper tomorrow) thanks (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by yazzieee
I have my English Literature Poetry exam tomorrow, and I have been revising as many poems and techniques as I can, but would just like some more advice on which poems have a more likelihood of coming up (this is for the higher paper tomorrow) thanks (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No-one has any idea- that's why it's unseen poetry. All you can do is revise techniques...
Am I the only one who hasn't done any revision on this? haha i'm doing OMAM & Unseen Poetry on Monday then on Thursday History Boys and A Christmas Carol. Ohh well i'll just memorise some quotes now for OMAM, all you have to do in poetry is make some ridiculous statements that the poet clearly didn't mean and back it up with some quotes from the text.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by salimm_
I have the Of Mice and Men and Poetry exam tomorrow! I have revised about 45/50 quotes however, I'm not sure who and what might come up. What are your predictions? Also for the poetry, if you don't understand two poems, how do you get through it? I'm predicted A's in the exams and I'm so nervous as I know I won't get it!

For poetry go on bbc bitesize it helps on what you should write about in the poetry bit
Of mice and men: it's unpredictable any character could as slim came up last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by gothmog827
do we need to do a personal response for the essays?

No you never give your opinion unless asked 'what do you think' or something similar but if it doesn't say that then don't!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by yazzieee

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not predictable so just revise the techniques

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Does anybody know the rough grade boundaries for each paper? I can't find them anywhere.
Reply 35
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Exact same as me!

How are you planning about revising About a Boy?! There's literally no revision guides, plans, essays, summaries or analysis. I'm not even sure of the themes! There's only one past paper on it too. I'm guessing seeing as though it's such a huge book, I might as well just concentrate on the three characters Will, Fiona and Marcus and do the character question for the essay.
Original post by krimz
How are you planning about revising About a Boy?! There's literally no revision guides, plans, essays, summaries or analysis. I'm not even sure of the themes! There's only one past paper on it too. I'm guessing seeing as though it's such a huge book, I might as well just concentrate on the three characters Will, Fiona and Marcus and do the character question for the essay.

No idea :frown:

We haven't done anything... Properly... At all :colonhash: I hate English!!! :angry: :cry2:

Themes... Mental health? Responsibility? No idea...

I'm screwed for this:frown: even An Inspector Calls, our teacher is useless
Reply 37
"For poetry go on bbc bitesize it helps on what you should write about in the poetry bit
Of mice and men: it's unpredictable any character could as slim came up last year"

Oh right okay, thank you! I got 39/40 in my coursework so I need high B's, low A's to get an A overall, hopefully that shall be easy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by charjoel
Does anybody know the rough grade boundaries for each paper? I can't find them anywhere.

The grade boundaries have been changed this year as 7% of the marks is towards SPaG

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by salimm_
"For poetry go on bbc bitesize it helps on what you should write about in the poetry bit
Of mice and men: it's unpredictable any character could as slim came up last year"

Oh right okay, thank you! I got 39/40 in my coursework so I need high B's, low A's to get an A overall, hopefully that shall be easy.

It's alright

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending