Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YThursday)
    I'm not a huge fan of charge and capacitance. I like gravitational, electric and magnetic fields though The nuclear side is awesome too. Don't get me started on simple harmonic motion
    We did simple harmonic and circular motion in maths mechanics already so it's not going to be anything new :/

With the nuclear I looked at some of the questions on a paper and taking logs of a half-life graph to get a rate of decay seemed like the most difficult part and that isn't exactly challenging if you are doing A Level maths and further maths!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
    Wrong. Only 2 variations will work

K- →π0 + e- + (anti)v(e)
    OR K− →π 0 + µ− + (anti)v(µ)

Anything else and stuff would not be conserved.
    Wrong... Though those are the only ones with the right amount of decay products.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    Wrong... Though those are the only ones with the right amount of decay products.
    I wasn't very specific:
    They are the only combinations, given the parameters of the question and the knowledge expected from a physics student on the AQA A AS specification, that can happen!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wasn't very specific:
    They are the only combinations, given the parameters of the question and the knowledge expected from a physics student on the AQA A AS specification, that can happen!
    Ok that is true I suppose :P and the A2 doesn't have any more particle physics in... has some fields stuff that you can't do properly without the maths for it so it's simplified at A-level, and if you take turning points then you get to do some space-timey relativity stuff you also get to do some thermal physics and simple nuclear which is fun

ReputationRep:
    We did simple harmonic and circular motion in maths mechanics already so it's not going to be anything new :/

With the nuclear I looked at some of the questions on a paper and taking logs of a half-life graph to get a rate of decay seemed like the most difficult part and that isn't exactly challenging if you are doing A Level maths and further maths!
    The maths of it isn't that difficult. The questions which require you to locate an equation and input numbers are easy The hard ones test understanding, not knowledge.

Your mathematical ability will neither help/hinder you (much).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    Ok that is true I suppose :P and the A2 doesn't have any more particle physics in... has some fields stuff that you can't do properly without the maths for it so it's simplified at A-level, and if you take turning points then you get to do some space-timey relativity stuff you also get to do some thermal physics and simple nuclear which is fun
    The whole thing is over-simplified and watered down. I think it's almost condescending.
    Perhaps I will regret saying this but I look forward to a challenge at University! Physics seems like the appropriate course to do that
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The whole thing is over-simplified and watered down. I think it's almost condescending.
    Perhaps I will regret saying this but I look forward to a challenge at University! Physics seems like the appropriate course to do that
    yeah well because A-levels aren't really allowed to be cross-discipline they can't put enough mahematical content into the physics course to make t a good preparation for university - out of all my subjects at A-level, further maths has by far been the most heklpful - particularly FP2 and FP3. However, unis require physics to study physics for the obvious reasons :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.