Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    See I'm not so enthralled by the idea of being a unique link in a highly sensitive chain. Just because I'm not person B as opposed to person A or even not a person at all, I'm not too bothered. As the others said, a golfball has to land somewhere.

I personally think the origin of my chain of existence is fascinating. Every small thing that happened before my birth, before the evolution of humans, before the formation of the Earth, all the way to the creation of the universe is interesting because as a whole it makes a vast chain whose origin is still a mystery and may always be. Sure you could track all the events that led to me (that'd be one hell of a flow diagram), but why did that highly improbable chain start? If you agree on the big bang cosmological model of the universe, how and why did that big bang come into play? If I were religious, I'd have to question why God made me and, perhaps blasphemously, what made Him. It's not really the fact that I came into being that's interesting (to me), but rather how I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Angry Stoic)
    We are all very lucky.

My toast once landed butter side up though. I think that was luckier.

Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    That is the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long time, which can easily be surmised with Tyler Durden's immortal words:

You are not special, and you never will be.
    That quote is so out of context I don't even know where to begin. Oddly enough Tyler is drilling those people at that point. He grinds them down and makes the forget everything that they once were, so that they can be remolded for project mayhem. The film itself is about waking up from the delusion of capitalism and realizing there is more to life than a 9 to 5 white collar job.

"
    • Man, I see in Fight Club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see it squandered. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables – slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

The morale of the story is your gonna quote a film to me to support an erroneous point, do make sure it isn't my favorite .

ReputationRep:
    What's your point?

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.