contact lenses perhaps? Watch

Khataray
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by emel)
My overview for the contact lenses I really do not like to wear them. I prefer to wear my glasses instead because when I was studying college my friend decided to wear contact lens and after 6 month later she said that; " why I am seeing blurry everywhere?". She had this problem nearly 1 week. At the end, I told her to go optician after 3 days later she came back to me and said; " I am not gonna wear contact lens anymore in my life". I also wondering to wear contact lens but when she said what the doctor said to her I decided to do not wear them. The doctor said to her in her contact lens they found parasites which causes her to see blurry because they started to eat her pupil. Now she is wearing glasses and she feels comfortable with it. I just wanted to share my knowledge about contact lens. If you like of course you can wear them but please be careful while wearing it or cleaning it. I know one more awful history about contact lens but Don't worry! Good luck with your lens.Posted from TSR Mobile
oh no! That must have been terrible I feel so sorry for her, will her pupils be able to recover then?? or was it permanent?
halpme
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Khataray)
Basically I'm short-sighted and a few weeks ago I went to the Opticians, and was told my eye sight has gone a lot worse so now my prescription is high (around -1.5 I think) so in other words I simply cannot survive without my glasses. So yesterday I accidently broke my glasses and my first pair are lost. I've pretty much given up on glasses and thought- what if I tried out contact lenses? I mean I'm starting college in September and I know quite a few people who wear contacts so maybe it is an okay idea I guess. I just don't want it to to be irritating and leave me with dry eyes I guess. So what's your intake on contacts?
I never use my contact lenses or glasses and I'm on the same prescription as you...
halpme
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emel)
My overview for the contact lenses I really do not like to wear them. I prefer to wear my glasses instead because when I was studying college my friend decided to wear contact lens and after 6 month later she said that; " why I am seeing blurry everywhere?". She had this problem nearly 1 week. At the end, I told her to go optician after 3 days later she came back to me and said; " I am not gonna wear contact lens anymore in my life". I also wondering to wear contact lens but when she said what the doctor said to her I decided to do not wear them. The doctor said to her in her contact lens they found parasites which causes her to see blurry because they started to eat her pupil. Now she is wearing glasses and she feels comfortable with it. I just wanted to share my knowledge about contact lens. If you like of course you can wear them but please be careful while wearing it or cleaning it. I know one more awful history about contact lens but Don't worry! Good luck with your lens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your friend is most likely an idiot. Cleaning contact lenses is simple, if they can't handle cleaning contact lenses, they probably can't handle cleaning themselves.
Prof Dumbledore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lol yeah my eye sight keeps getting worse, I used to be -0.75 last year and this year I'm told I've gone 3 lenses worse- although I do have to admit my new lenses feel pretty strong but the optician said I'll get used to it
Yeah that always happens and gets pretty annoying, I was a -0.25 a few years back, Ahh those were the days, and they gradually deteriorated to -2.5 haha. Plus I had a jump of 3 lenses this year too. Yeah you normally would find the lenses quite a bit stronger but as long as you don't get too many headaches then you know it'll be fine because you do get used to it, and that would be your actual prescription, so don't worry about that.

oh and my sister told me not to bother with it too! apparently wearing contacts gradually makes you eye sight worse? I'm not really sure- do you reckon it's true?
Yeah I mean I've tried both and I really just can't be bothered with them for use all the time, but sometimes maybe for a day out/party/ or some sport I might use them, but I prefer not to. Yeah I'm not too sure about that from any actual evidence, but I know people who have used the lenses and they have affected their eyes so they can't see properly without them, but generally I think that they should be perfectly safe and shouldn't cause any problems and I wouldn't like to put you off without knowing any actual information, but we all have our doubts though and worries.
pinksugar
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Prof Dumbledore)
I know people who have used the lenses and they have affected their eyes so they can't see properly without them
...Maybe because they've gotten used to them and need them to see clearly?
Ayesha1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think lenses make your eyes worse. My contacts are slightly weaker than my lenses so if anything, they are improving my eye sight.

I'd say give it a go most opticians offer a free trial so you won't be out of pocket if you decide you hate them.

I'd never consider laser eye surgery, too risky!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prof Dumbledore
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pinksugar)
...Maybe because they've gotten used to them and need them to see clearly?
Yes but they could no longer even use glasses to see clearly as their eyes could only view things correctly through the small space from the contact lens which is different from how you see through glasses. So yeah in a way they've gotten used to them that's why, but I don't feel that's right personally because if you did want to stop wearing it after that then you'd have some troubles. But this is just from a few people i know not anything that I've looked into so I wouldn't really base any decisions on this though.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
omg same! I look so ugly in them, even when I'm chossing my frames its takes so long because they all dont suit me haha- oh btw do you know how much contacts cost??x
Yeah, glasses just don't suit me at all. XD Sorry I don't know how much they cost, my mum buys them for me I think they're quite expensive though That's the only downside.
pinksugar
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Prof Dumbledore)
Yes but they could no longer even use glasses to see clearly as their eyes could only view things correctly through the small space from the contact lens which is different from how you see through glasses. So yeah in a way they've gotten used to them that's why, but I don't feel that's right personally because if you did want to stop wearing it after that then you'd have some troubles. But this is just from a few people i know not anything that I've looked into so I wouldn't really base any decisions on this though.
Hmmm, that's odd. Most of the people I know that wear contacts switch between them and their glasses quite easily. I had never thought that could happen!
Georgiina_Tee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm -4.50 and wear my lenses
And to the 2nd post you can sleep and swim in them (sleeping depends on the actual lense)

But go for dailies a good website is called welovecontactlenses.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bapbabelubah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by QuantumSuicide)
I get on fine without glasses with -2.25 and -2.

Sometimes I do have to squint at people to see if i recognise them though. Maybe try using your glasses less?
I was quite fine without glasses with -3.25 and -3 I still had them but I hardly ever wore them.
And then my sight got worse (-4.25 and -4) and now I'd die without them

The thing with glasses is - the more you wear them, the lazier your eyes get. Your eyes don't have to work as much, so they're just like 'meh, can't be asked', they get used to having a perfect picture that's delivered by glasses. That's what I was told by my optician, at least Even now, when I just can't see properly, I try not to use glasses when I'm at home. It gets easier after a few days, shapes/faces become familiar, you basically learn them all over again.

What I tried to say - I think you should really try to use them less, before you go for contact lenses

When it comes to the surgery - nope. A friend of mine had one a year ago, and she says it's the worst thing she's done. Apparently it hurt for a while, eyes become very sensitive, and the whole experience is terrifying.
Prof Dumbledore
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pinksugar)
Hmmm, that's odd. Most of the people I know that wear contacts switch between them and their glasses quite easily. I had never thought that could happen!
Yes I'm sure they were just special cases because they should be able to switch seamlessly and that effect would be very rare, like with most things then few people could react differently. And yeah its more like worse case scenario but I think things like that can happen although rare.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
-3.5 in one eye and -1.5 in the other. I only wear one monthly disposable lens in the worse eye. I can read, drive and see distances perfectly well and they cost me £7 a month, including so much solution that I could bathe in it, and all check ups, so it's probably cheaper than buying a new pair of specs every year. No complaints.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
-1.5 is nothing at all, -1.75 and -2.5 are mine and I cope fine without glasses, I'd wear them really for tv.

That said I have used daily contact lenses and they are awesome. Some people have eyes that aren't suited mind you.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Georgiina_Tee)
I'm -4.50 and wear my lenses
And to the 2nd post you can sleep and swim in them (sleeping depends on the actual lense)

But go for dailies a good website is called welovecontactlenses.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sleep/swim with lenses in? That's crazy, I was told explicitly not to, I have done and it's really not pleasant.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
You sleep/swim with lenses in? That's crazy, I was told explicitly not to, I have done and it's really not pleasant.
It all depends exactly what type you have. If you have been told not to, then carry on doing that. Mine are made so that you can sleep in them if you want, although I don't. It's to do with the material they are made of, but I don't know more than that.
aspiringwhatever
Badges: 12
Report 5 years ago
Basically I'm short-sighted and a few weeks ago I went to the Opticians, and was told my eye sight has gone a lot worse so now my prescription is high (around -1.5 I think) so in other words I simply cannot survive without my glasses. So yesterday I accidently broke my glasses and my first pair are lost. I've pretty much given up on glasses and thought- what if I tried out contact lenses? I mean I'm starting college in September and I know quite a few people who wear contacts so maybe it is an okay idea I guess. I just don't want it to to be irritating and leave me with dry eyes I guess. So what's your intake on contacts?
I don't know if this has been said, but -1.5 is not high. I have -1.5 and -1.75, and I get by without glasses fine. I just can't read things far away and sometimes I use glasses when I am working a lot on my computer.

My boyfriend has 6 or 7, that's high. He is basically blind, if I am 50 cm away from him he can't see my facial expression .
Alesha1991
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The thing with glasses is - the more you wear them, the lazier your eyes get. Your eyes don't have to work as much, so they're just like 'meh, can't be asked', they get used to having a perfect picture that's delivered by glasses. That's what I was told by my optician, at least Even now, when I just can't see properly, I try not to use glasses when I'm at home. It gets easier after a few days, shapes/faces become familiar, you basically learn them all over again.

What I tried to say - I think you should really try to use them less, before you go for contact lenses

When it comes to the surgery - nope. A friend of mine had one a year ago, and she says it's the worst thing she's done. Apparently it hurt for a while, eyes become very sensitive, and the whole experience is terrifying
I've noticed this- I think it's because you get used to having clear vision & it your sight without glasses looks worse in comparison. I've been wearing glasses all the time for a couple of years & if I take them off everything looks a complete blur. I was thinking about getting laser surgery but I've heard about people who've had problems with it. My eyes are already really sensitive which is why I don't wear contacts. I wish I didn't have to wear glasses but I don't think surgery's worth the risk.
Floalley
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Man... maybe I should be wearing my glasses all the time with my prescription...
Alesha1991
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Man... maybe I should be wearing my glasses all the time with my prescription...
What's your prescription- mine's -3. I wouldn't wear them all the time if I didn't have to. If you can manage without them for some things I think it's probably best to do that or you become more reliant on glasses. I like how I look in my glasses & it's good to have clear vision but I find it annoying having to wear them all day every day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise