Xbox one or PS4? Watch

jbroderick
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm going with PS4 just because of the exclusives and the stance they have on indie developers, also what Microsoft are doing lately with trying to get more money out of consumers is appalling so out of principle I'm going playstation.

There were some features I liked on the xbone like the Twitch integration but not enough to sell me on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Xbox One retail console will also act as a debug console. Will play in progress code to allow easier self development. Publishing games said to be made much easier.

Well, I didn't expect that, but that's huge for indie developers.
ArthurCowlard
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm definitely going back to Playstation. I had a PS3 until it broke so I changed to Xbox because all my friends are on that console, but straight away I regretted it. I don't think I want to put up with Microsofts penny pinching again. That really does my head in. Not to forget that I have always been with Sony. I'm hoping that I can put this last year with Xbox behind me and get back to a good console again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
Xbox One retail console will also act as a debug console. Will play in progress code to allow easier self development. Publishing games said to be made much easier.

Well, I didn't expect that, but that's huge for indie developers.
That's quite interesting. I suspect they won't have access to all the same features and tools that licensed developers have though.
Futility
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
What are the main reasons people are so against having Kinect? Is it the extra cost? I'm guessing it's the main reason the Xbox One is more expensive than the PS4.

Are there other objections to it apart from that?
Call me paranoid, but I don't particularly like the fact that Kinect always has to be connected and turned on. Microsoft might be watching me. :unsure:
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
PS4.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Futility)
Call me paranoid, but I don't particularly like the fact that Kinect always has to be connected and turned on. Microsoft might be watching me. :unsure:
Well realistically, it's not going to be recording and uploading all the time. It would be ridiculous if it was constantly sending a video feed, it would use up so much bandwidth.

I think as long as you're not using Kinect features that require the video to be sent somewhere (e.g. Skype) you won't get spied on. If you do however then yes it will potentially get spied on by the US government. This makes me sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist, but if you've been following the news, that's exactly what they have been doing.
CaptainNemo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why does everyone blame Microsoft for being "penny pinchers" and "trying to get more money from consumers", It was the game developers who were tired of getting cash only from first sale then nothing from trades/resales..I think what Microsoft were trying to do was quite admirable as in it's 24 hr check in, this would have done away with pirated games, Jtags and other hacks as it read the files at log in

Kinnect as standard gives games developers more push to make more immersive games

These definately have my attention.. IMO PS4 is just a rebranded PS3 :eek:
Ravel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is it worth me buying a ps4, if I am going to do a postgraduate course. Dont think it will allow me time to play the ps4.

Someone aware me?
ArthurCowlard
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CaptainNemo)
Why does everyone blame Microsoft for being "penny pinchers" and "trying to get more money from consumers", It was the game developers who were tired of getting cash only from first sale then nothing from trades/resales..I think what Microsoft were trying to do was quite admirable as in it's 24 hr check in, this would have done away with pirated games, Jtags and other hacks as it read the files at log in

Kinnect as standard gives games developers more push to make more immersive games

I don't mean the resale things. Although that was a ridiculous idea. I mean that you pay for Xbox live which with Playstation 3 at least you never had to pay to play online, and it doesn't even give you all the features. Playstation Plus far surpasses the Xbox live system. Microsoft add a charge for everything and I'm not willing to pay them personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
That's quite interesting. I suspect they won't have access to all the same features and tools that licensed developers have though.
Probably right, but then, would an Indie need all those tools? It's like Photoshop - a full on pro may know a lot of it, but most kids get great results using only 20% of it, for example.
CaptainNemo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ArthurCowlard)
I don't mean the resale things. Although that was a ridiculous idea. I mean that you pay for Xbox live which with Playstation 3 at least you never had to pay to play online, and it doesn't even give you all the features. Playstation Plus far surpasses the Xbox live system. Microsoft add a charge for everything and I'm not willing to pay them personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But PSN + is going to be pay to play also now...I dont believe Sony surpasses xbox live in this area, the lobbies & chat facilities are terrible, only now you will have to pay for it..I'm definately not anti PS4 but it seems alot of people use the excuse of what xbox is doing to make ps4 sound better rather than actually stateing what Sony ARE actually doing thats better :confused:
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Oh Cushions)
Hey everyone

I know everyone has mixed opinions in this subject but I am interested to hear which console everyone is more likely to enjoy. Personally I am an Xbox fan especially since the restrictions have been relaxed but surprisingly Playstation have some interesting ideas which makes me think about purchasing a PS4 even though I favor an Xbox. Where does everyone else stand? Please no arguements as we cannot say which is better as neither has been released so pleased respect everyone else's opinions Happy gaming!
As pretty much every gaming news station has been saying, there's no guarantee that Xbox won't go back on their promise in some fashion once the XB1 has been out for a few years. It's just a patch you download to stop the DRM nonsense, they can easily put a new patch out which undoes it all.

Not saying they will, but if you get an xbox now it's like being a dog whose been kicked by its master, but still loves it to its own detriment.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ravel)
Is it worth me buying a ps4, if I am going to do a postgraduate course. Dont think it will allow me time to play the ps4.

Someone aware me?
Depends on what you're doing in your Pgrad, surely?

I won't have time for gaming in my final year of undergrad, let alone my postgrad course
Kiss
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
PS4.
CaptainNemo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:ciao::ciao:
(Original post by Futility)
Cover the lens..hey presto

Tbh laptops have built in cams, whose to say someone isn't watching you through that...:ciao:
mhairicolette
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely PS4, I'm saving up to buy one and can't wait, even considering selling my xbox 360.
strokestash
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

At the end of the day there is a point at which DRM becomes too obstructive. It's alright for you, but some poor fool that lives in a country where internet isn't as reliable (to be fair, reliable is not the word I would use for UK ISPs) as yours won't be able to 'check in' as you say.

And in my opinion Kinect is nothing but Microsoft's answer to the not-so-wonderful world of gaming gimmicks started by the Wii. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be flapping my arms around in a perfectly lit room and at a perfect distance from the TV, I just want good games, and I'm perfectly happy with the controller interfaces we have nowadays.

That said, the Oculus Rift does seem like the way forward.

Neither console seems attractive, which is why I opted to build a capable PC.
JPL9457
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
let's all agree, the PS2 was the best console of it's time
Futility
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:ciao::ciao:

Cover the lens..hey presto

Tbh laptops have built in cams, whose to say someone isn't watching you through that...:ciao:
It could still be recording sound.

And I can turn my laptop webcam off and it has a light showing when it's active.

No, I think I'll just save myself the £80 and buy a PS4 tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.34%
No (622)
72.66%

Watched Threads