Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by shamika)
    Agree with Mr. M; can't understand someone wanting to do three A-Levels worth of maths and not consider dropping some of the other subjects.

And there is no way you could understand a PhD thesis in fluid dynamics without even doing A-Level maths. Having done a non-research thesis, it took me a year to understand some of the basic papers in my field. It's great to have ambition but in maths it's very important to get a good foundation so you can really understand what's going on when it gets more advanced
    Quite.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with Mr. M; can't understand someone wanting to do three A-Levels worth of maths and not consider dropping some of the other subjects.

And there is no way you could understand a PhD thesis in fluid dynamics without even doing A-Level maths. Having done a non-research thesis, it took me a year to understand some of the basic papers in my field. It's great to have ambition but in maths it's very important to get a good foundation so you can really understand what's going on when it gets more advanced
    Yeah but you only have a degree in maths, he's read textbooks Shamika!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Can I suggest you prioritise a basic English qualification ahead of one in advanced maths?

In this thread you have used their for there, bored for board and cleaver for clever.
    That's a comment slightly on the harsher side for you

OP, take a-level maths and if it comes to it, self-teach yourself if you're so passionate .

ReputationRep:

The thing is I love to learn and yes i know 'you only need 4 a levels' but i really want to understand everything and anything. I grew up with my cousin doing maths so i understand a lot true i don't know everything in his thesis but i know enough to get by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShaneJ)
    The thing is I love to learn and yes i know 'you only need 4 a levels' but i really want to understand everything and anything. I grew up with my cousin doing maths so i understand a lot true i don't know everything in his thesis but i know enough to get by.
    Choose 4 A levels (5 if you must) and study them properly

Do not waste your tie dipping lightly into lots of them

Read beyond the subjects and understand the concepts ... that is of far more use than skimming the syllabus of 7 or 8 subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Choose 4 A levels (5 if you must) and study them properly

Do not waste your tie dipping lightly into lots of them

Read beyond the subjects and understand the concepts ... that is of far more use than skimming the syllabus of 7 or 8 subjects
    Yes, I understand what you are saying but i can't do maths at my school due to conflict

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I understand what you are saying but i can't do maths at my school due to conflict
    What, you can't do maths at all? Or you just can't do further maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    What, you can't do maths at all? Or you just can't do further maths?
    Maths at all

ReputationRep:
    Maths at all
    What does it conflict with?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Maths at all
    I have to ask - what is this "conflict" you referred to?

ReputationRep:
    Then transfer to another school

That is what people do at sixth form if they need to study something unavailable to them

ReputationRep:
    What does it conflict with?
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I have to ask - what is this "conflict" you referred to?
    I argued with the head of the maths department because i could not learn in my class and due to the fact of my dyslexia he though putting me in a set 5 class was best and when i proceed to do maths on his white board he got a little annoyed and said i should not question him as he is a teacher and he knows best and not to bother doing a level maths as i am stupid.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I argued with the head of the maths department because i could not learn in my class and due to the fact of my dyslexia he though putting me in a set 5 class was best and when i proceed to do maths on his white board he got a little annoyed and said i should not question him as he is a teacher and he knows best and not to bother doing a level maths as i am stupid.
    I don't believe a word of that.

Just stop posting everyone, this is clearly a troll and does not deserve a response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Then transfer to another school

That is what people do at sixth form if they need to study something unavailable to them
    I get on well with all my other teachers and have a very strong relationship with them and have all ready started coursework for next year up at my high school. and i have not applied to any where else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Was it you M?

ReputationRep:
    So somehow you understand PhD level mathematics but your teacher, teaching you the relative joke that is GCSE Maths thinks you're not capable of doing A-Level Maths? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I typed it wrong sorry, I meant he put me in the class due to the dyslexia but i could learn but in set 5 its not proper maths

ReputationRep:
    So somehow you understand PhD level mathematics but your teacher, teaching you the relative joke that is GCSE Maths thinks you're not capable of doing A-Level Maths? :lol:
    He is not my teacher, the head of maths. In school i don't like to show off about things so i try to keep my self to my self. My maths teacher loves me and thinks i am capable but the HOD dose not

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2382693

Hmmmmm I had not realised that you have actually failed GCSE Maths

I am going to be honest ... if you were not capable of self teaching yourself GCSE maths to at least a C then you are not going to be able to do A Level Maths

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.