Dear TSR, are you happy with the.... Watch

Creat0r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mods are the bane of the internet world. It's the same wherever you go on the internet on forums, the reason is in most cases someone wants to be a mod because they want to have power over the majority of a community, they can destroy forums and drive people away (sometimes in the thousands as happened on one game I used to play). Sadly it's a catch 22, we need them. Luckily there are many mods out there who do a great job and are there because they are very active and friendly within the community. That said I've had some posts deleted as the mods are very very BBC brainwashed left-wingers.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Creat0r)
Mods are the bane of the internet world. It's the same wherever you go on the internet on forums, the reason is in most cases someone wants to be a mod because they want to have power over the majority of a community, they can destroy forums and drive people away (sometimes in the thousands as happened on one game I used to play). Sadly it's a catch 22, we need them. Luckily there are many mods out there who do a great job and are there because they are very active and friendly within the community. That said I've had some posts deleted as the mods are very very BBC brainwashed left-wingers.
This is true.

I personally think the modding on TSR is just about ok - having said that, I'm not sure I've ever seen a forum where I'd say it's good.

One of the axioms of forums generally, though - is that you can't fight the mods. No matter how right you are, or how much you humiliate them, or how many people support you - you will never win. They can't let you, otherwise the lunatics take over the asylum.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tory88)
I've definitely been on lots of forums where the mod teams have been a lot worse (either much too lenient so the forum descends into chaos or much too harsh so no real discussion can be fostered. Overall I'd say the team strike a fairly happy medium between the two extremes.
Seconded. I've been on one where threads were removed if someone reported it (regardless of why) and then the thread was reinstated if the mod team decided it's ok. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? I once emailed them (only way to contact them) and asked why my thread was deleted and they asked for the URL. Er, I could give them the URL; but the message is about how "this thread breaks house rules..." Because it was all automated, your post got edited if you posted a public (such as a charity or Government department) phone number or other details.:rolleyes:

And then there's another one where the mod team did nothing when I reported that I was being stalked / bullied. But they were quick to pull me up on things when I'd been "naughty".:rolleyes:

Overall, not had a problem on here.

At least on here you can ask why a mod has done something (thread removal, warning, etc) but on others, you have no such option.
deedee123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The spamming rule is so stupid.
Idle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Creat0r)
While it is a little better now if there were no mods 6 months ago I know for a fact that half the new threads in the Health forum would be trying to advertise North Face jackets and other rubbish.

I'd also say that for the Mods I know 'power' really does not come into it, if someone wanted power there are far better ways than becoming for a forum mod. As well as that there is a system in place for decisions to be reviewed by other mods meaning I nor anyone else could go around banning people I disagreed and get away with doing so.
thelion0
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I hate rockfan as a mod! He's on a power trip..

I don't want to break the rules so I won't discuss why
RedArrow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The moderation has certainly risen up a notch, sinceI haven't been alerted with silly warnings for some time...

Posted from TSR Mobile
DH-Biker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Homeless Goomba)
with the moderating here, out of interest? What do you think of it?
Yeah, all things considered I think they do a good job. As far as I can see, there's little to no bias and they keep things fair.
As with others, I've had a few warnings for things I wouldn't necessarily say were off but altogether I'm happy with the mods we've got and their effort.
Spontogical
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's fine.

That being said though, sometimes I do get silly warnings - not sure if newer mods are actually trained on what's 'spamming' and what isn't. Seems like most of it is left up to personal interpretation and subjective opinion.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Spontogical)
It's fine.

That being said though, sometimes I do get silly warnings - not sure if newer mods are actually trained on what's 'spamming' and what isn't. Seems like most of it is left up to personal interpretation and subjective opinion.
It's left up to personal interpretation. But many of us do ask for clarification on how many points to give, etc.
rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Idle)
While it is a little better now if there were no mods 6 months ago I know for a fact that half the new threads in the Health forum would be trying to advertise North Face jackets and other rubbish.

I'd also say that for the Mods I know 'power' really does not come into it, if someone wanted power there are far better ways than becoming for a forum mod. As well as that there is a system in place for decisions to be reviewed by other mods meaning I nor anyone else could go around banning people I disagreed and get away with doing so.
North face jackets are decent
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Generally they do a good job, however there are times where I've been given warning points for such small things. Apart from that, no complaints here.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (182)
18.86%
No (582)
60.31%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.83%

Watched Threads